Theme of the day... Tyre blowouts.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stan Cox, Aug 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stan Cox

Stan Cox Guest

Hi all, just thought I would mention a couple of incidents today. I went out this morning intending
    to do a gentle 35 40 miles in the sun. I had travelled about 4 miles from Brighton towards Lewes. On
    the downhill from Falmer I came across a couple of guys with mountain bikes sitting in the cycle
    lane. One had had a front tyre blowout & come off. He was bloodied but not badly hurt. His mate was
    arranging a lift back into town. I stopped and checked all was in hand and carried on with my ride.
    A couple of miles later as I was doing about 20 into Lewes my back tyre let go big time. I had a
    very scary 100 meters or so before I managed to stop. At several points the bike was waaayy off
    straight. I have no idea how I kept it upright but I did. I checked the trye and there was a huge
    cut all the way up one sidewall. Ah Well at least Lewes has a train station so I could get home ok.
    Ah well I will put different tyres on & try again tomorrow. What a strange day.

Stan Cox

Tags:

2. Les Kennedy

Les Kennedy Guest

I blew my front tyre descending Alpe deHuez to see the stage start at the bottom this year. As there
    was heavy traffic I was having to do more braking than usual, and the heat just caused it to blow.
    Luckily it was on the last hairpin bend, and I was able to run off the road ok. Good job it hadn't
    gone on a dodgier bend. And I think I'll wear my crash hat next time - just in case !

Glad no-one got hurt with these blow outs.
    --

"Stan Cox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi all, just thought I would mention a couple of incidents today. I went
    out
    > this morning intending to do a gentle 35 40 miles in the sun. I had travelled about 4 miles from
    > Brighton towards Lewes. On the downhill from Falmer I came across a couple of guys with mountain
    > bikes sitting in the cycle lane. One had had a front tyre blowout & come off. He was bloodied
    but
    > not badly hurt. His mate was arranging a lift back into town. I stopped
    and
    > checked all was in hand and carried on with my ride. A couple of miles later as I was doing about
    > 20 into Lewes my back
    tyre
    > let go big time. I had a very scary 100 meters or so before I managed to stop. At several points
    > the bike was waaayy off straight. I have no idea
    how
    > I kept it upright but I did. I checked the trye and there was a huge cut
    all
    > the way up one sidewall. Ah Well at least Lewes has a train station so I could get home ok. Ah
    > well I will put different tyres on & try again tomorrow. What a strange day.
    >
    > Stan Cox
    >

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.