Then and now: Armstrong the domestique

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Greg Hall, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Greg Hall

    Greg Hall Guest

    from http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2004/interviews/?id=lance_armstrong041

    ‘…At 20km to go, Max asked me 'Lance, can I take your wheel
    in the finish and sprint' and I thought 'oh shoot! [laughs]
    Nobody's ever asked me that!' I've never in my life done a
    leadout. Sure, some of my fondest memories of racing early
    on were when I was originally on the Subaru team with Jonas
    Carney, we had a great leadout tag-team thing going. I'll
    never forget the US National Criterium Championships, I gave
    Jonas a lead out on the last lap and we came out of the last
    corner and it was just he and I. We got first and second. So
    today was just like that; it was so cool'.

    Does any of this ring a bell Mr. Carney? Was that 1991?

    Greg Hall

    Tags:

  2. [email protected] (Greg Hall) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Sure, some of my fondest memories of racing early on were
    > when I was originally on the Subaru team with Jonas
    > Carney, we had a great leadout tag-team thing going. I'll
    > never forget the US National Criterium Championships, I
    > gave Jonas a lead out on the last lap and we came out of
    > the last corner and it was just he and I. We got first and
    > second. So today was just like that; it was so cool'.
    >
    > Does any of this ring a bell Mr. Carney? Was that 1991?
    >
    > Greg Hall

    That's Jonas, not J-Me. Jonas is J-Me's older brother IIRC.

    - Boyd S.

  3. Mark Fennell

    Mark Fennell Guest

    [email protected] (Greg Hall) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > from http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2004/interviews/?i-
    > d=lance_armstrong041
    >
    > ??At 20km to go, Max asked me 'Lance, can I take your
    > wheel in the finish and sprint' and I thought 'oh shoot!
    > [laughs] Nobody's ever asked me that!' I've never in my
    > life done a leadout. Sure, some of my fondest memories of
    > racing early on were when I was originally on the Subaru
    > team with Jonas Carney, we had a great leadout tag-team
    > thing going. I'll never forget the US National Criterium
    > Championships, I gave Jonas a lead out on the last lap and
    > we came out of the last corner and it was just he and I.
    > We got first and second. So today was just like that; it
    > was so cool'.
    >
    > Does any of this ring a bell Mr. Carney? Was that 1991?
    >
    > Greg Hall

    Here's a little story about when Lance and Jonas Carney
    swung through California in spring on 1990. The two of them
    showed up to do a crit in Ventura against all the Southern
    California Crit Monsters. They were both well known already,
    but Lance by reputation only--he was only 19 after all.
    Anyway, four or five laps into the race Lance gets off the
    front by himself and easily laps the field. I don't remember
    if he went straight through or not after catching, but it
    was very impressive either way.

    The next day at the road race, Lance doesn't show even
    though Jonas
    did. The rumor was that Lance decided if he was going to do
    a ride by himself, he might as well do it in a nicer
    place than where the out-and-back RR was being held.

    A couple weeks later there were a few more Subaru-Montgomery
    guys doing a stage race in Northern California (what used to
    be called the Silver Bullet Stage Race, which is now
    Madera). I remember there was a huge crash on the last lap
    of the last day's crit and Lance--I think, or possibly Jay
    Vonderhae--made an incredible 30 mph leap over the curb onto
    the sidewalk between people and parking meters and continued
    at full speed, dodging spectators, to the next corner where
    he hopped back onto the course and finished at the front.
    That boy had some skills!

    Mark

  4. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
    > That's Jonas, not J-Me. Jonas is J-Me's older
    > brother IIRC.

    Hmmm. Maybe we should check: what's the date of Jonas'
    birth? What's the date of J-me's birth?