Then and now: Armstrong the domestique

Greg Hall

Guest
from http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2004/interviews/?id=lance_armstrong041

‘…At 20km to go, Max asked me 'Lance, can I take your wheel
in the finish and sprint' and I thought 'oh shoot! [laughs]
Nobody's ever asked me that!' I've never in my life done a
leadout. Sure, some of my fondest memories of racing early
on were when I was originally on the Subaru team with Jonas
Carney, we had a great leadout tag-team thing going. I'll
never forget the US National Criterium Championships, I gave
Jonas a lead out on the last lap and we came out of the last
corner and it was just he and I. We got first and second. So
today was just like that; it was so cool'.

Does any of this ring a bell Mr. Carney? Was that 1991?

Greg Hall

[email protected] (Greg Hall) wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Sure, some of my fondest memories of racing early on were
> when I was originally on the Subaru team with Jonas
> Carney, we had a great leadout tag-team thing going. I'll
> never forget the US National Criterium Championships, I
> gave Jonas a lead out on the last lap and we came out of
> the last corner and it was just he and I. We got first and
> second. So today was just like that; it was so cool'.
>
> Does any of this ring a bell Mr. Carney? Was that 1991?
>
> Greg Hall

That's Jonas, not J-Me. Jonas is J-Me's older brother IIRC.

- Boyd S.

[email protected] (Greg Hall) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> from http://www.cyclingnews.com/riders/2004/interviews/?i-
> d=lance_armstrong041
>
> ??At 20km to go, Max asked me 'Lance, can I take your
> wheel in the finish and sprint' and I thought 'oh shoot!
> [laughs] Nobody's ever asked me that!' I've never in my
> life done a leadout. Sure, some of my fondest memories of
> racing early on were when I was originally on the Subaru
> team with Jonas Carney, we had a great leadout tag-team
> thing going. I'll never forget the US National Criterium
> Championships, I gave Jonas a lead out on the last lap and
> we came out of the last corner and it was just he and I.
> We got first and second. So today was just like that; it
> was so cool'.
>
> Does any of this ring a bell Mr. Carney? Was that 1991?
>
> Greg Hall

Here's a little story about when Lance and Jonas Carney
swung through California in spring on 1990. The two of them
showed up to do a crit in Ventura against all the Southern
California Crit Monsters. They were both well known already,
but Lance by reputation only--he was only 19 after all.
Anyway, four or five laps into the race Lance gets off the
front by himself and easily laps the field. I don't remember
if he went straight through or not after catching, but it
was very impressive either way.

The next day at the road race, Lance doesn't show even
though Jonas
did. The rumor was that Lance decided if he was going to do
a ride by himself, he might as well do it in a nicer
place than where the out-and-back RR was being held.

A couple weeks later there were a few more Subaru-Montgomery
guys doing a stage race in Northern California (what used to
be called the Silver Bullet Stage Race, which is now
Madera). I remember there was a huge crash on the last lap
of the last day's crit and Lance--I think, or possibly Jay
Vonderhae--made an incredible 30 mph leap over the curb onto
the sidewalk between people and parking meters and continued
at full speed, dodging spectators, to the next corner where
he hopped back onto the course and finished at the front.
That boy had some skills!

Mark

Boyd Speerschneider wrote:
> That's Jonas, not J-Me. Jonas is J-Me's older
> brother IIRC.

Hmmm. Maybe we should check: what's the date of Jonas'
birth? What's the date of J-me's birth?