then & now -- comparing 4 rides 4 years apart

tmctguer

Sep 9, 2003
i am fortunate to live within 1 hour of a great climb (Mount Palomar, 11.7 miles, 7% avg gradient) in San Diego, CA. in late '05, i tracked the results of 2 climbs of the mountain 1 week apart.

Fast forward to '09, and i repeated the same climbs, once again 1 week apart. unfortunately, my results were quite different.

I have attached a Word document depicting the results of the 4 rides for those on the board who are "coaching oriented". I think i know what i need to do improve my form to the level i was in '05, but i welcome your comments.

a few stats -- now i am 51, probably weigh 177 lbs; then i was 47 and probably weighed 164. then i rode a lot more than i do now.

then, averaged about 8.5 MPH and 280 watts for the 11.8 mile ride. now, i averaged 7.5 MPH and could only crank out 238 average watts.

then, i was using a Polar power meter with altimeter; now a Powertap SL with an Garmin Edge 705 for altitude tracking.

then, i was doing regular hillclimbs around my home (nowhere near Palomar -- 1.5 miles, much shorter but steeper), but i was doing them with regularity. now, i don't do local hillclimbs as much.

the gearing of the bikes is different now -- i am on the same cannondale as i had back then, only now i have a 50/34 + 13/29 instead of 52/39 + 12/26. on one of the rides then, i used a similarly geared specialized (52/39 + 12/27). I am not sure if i could keep up 70+ RPM on the Specialized today.

on the most recent ride, i started out a little harder than last week's ride, and I ran out of gas in the last 30 minutes. i had to stop 4 times for 1 minute breaks in order to finish.

I know my weight and possibly 4 more years has SOME impact, but i know there are others on this board who are my age but still cranking out 280 - 300 watts as their threshold power.

on one hand, it was depressing to see the lower results. on the other hand, it gives me something to shoot for as i re-map my

Hi

tmctguer said:
I have attached a Word document depicting the results of the 4 rides for those on the board who are "coaching oriented". I think i know what i need to do improve my form to the level i was in '05, but i welcome your comments.
My comment is well done on getting up the hill, there are plenty around who couldn't! Your post struck a chord with me, I'm 51 and about 179lbs which should give you great heart, it will all come back if you work at it.

I've been plugging away for a while, current FTP around 313W, current MAP (tested today as it happens!) 428W, age need not be a barrier and there are plenty of folk doing far better than I. I got here from a background of being very unfit (smoking, drinking, couch-dwelling) about 10 years ago. I then starting running, I just about managed a half mile at first but ended up running a good number of marathons, then turned to the bike.

So, have a look at my blog which will tell you how I train. The key in my book is total consistency and lots of determination and an unwavering belief that improvements WILL come, which they will, slowly. Regular training in L3/SS/L4 and lastly L5 will bring you on in leaps and bounds and I wish you all the very best, you've come to the right place for any advice you need, some of the folks on here have brains like planets! I wouldn't waste time with too much long slow distance riding but others may differ with their approach to that.

Bon voyage!

Cheers,

Q

More weight and less power. Training less. Seems pretty clear, need to ride more, and more consistently!

But if you want some help with training to reclaim that lost form, well have a look at our training plans:
RST Training Plans

here are a few recent workouts:

yesterday, I spent a few minutes climbing a local hill during the climb, here are some times & wattages for the various stages of the climb:
4 min @ 251 watts,
2:30 min @ 339 watts,
7 min @ 294 watts,
4:30 min @ 301 watts.

i did some easy spinning home then got on my Computrainer. I did two workougs:
16:30 min @ 262 watts,
18:30 min @ 252 watts.

I was pretty much toast.

Today, i went on the road and found a place where I could do 20 min's runs. I did:
1 x 20 @ 274 watts
10 min of rest
1 x 20 @ 264 watts

i was toast once again and rode home easily.

are these the types of workouts that make sense?