Therapuetic Massage and Swimming

David

Guest
Any one using massage as part of their training out there? I have a client I
massage who is swimming and would like some pointers to what swimmers
require in their massage techniques.
David

David wrote:
> Any one using massage as part of their training out there? I have a client I
> massage who is swimming and would like some pointers to what swimmers
> require in their massage techniques.
> David

Could you expand on that a bit further?
Theraputic as in ... ? Sports massage, remedial/medical massage,
Holistic, swedish... what?

As for "massage techniques", if you could mention a few by way of
example, it may help clarify your question.

David wrote:
> Any one using massage as part of their training out there? I have a client I
> massage who is swimming and would like some pointers to what swimmers
> require in their massage techniques.
> David

I don't use this in general, but saw someone one time for 10 minutes who
immediately could tell that I work on a computer and that I swim. She
did something to push the bottom of the lats in toward my waist--it was
wonderful, like having a new back afterwards. It bordered on magical. I
recently took a yoga class with Manuoso Manos where we did chair pose
and pushed our arms toward the back rather than exactly vertical, and
this had the same effect.
Madelaine

Ok then I was enquiring the use of Swedish/Trigger point massage within
swimming in general. All sports are different as far as massage is concerned
owing to different muscle groups and there uses with each sport.
David
news:[email protected]...

David wrote:
> Ok then I was enquiring the use of Swedish/Trigger point massage within
> swimming in general. All sports are different as far as massage is concerned
> owing to different muscle groups and there uses with each sport.
> David

ah, ok then, cos I wondered if you knew that because of your original
post.
Then you'll also know that different swimmers will require different
treatments. Not only because of varying degrees of swimming, varying
focus on specific swim strokes, but also varying life styles etc.
In which case what your client needs is reletively specific to him/her.
So, if I may offer this, what you want is information from those who
concentrate on one stroke, as to what they would like / need on a
physical mobility enchancement level to better achieve their aims.
And then you can better tailor to varying clients.
I am not such a swimmer.

David wrote:

> Any one using massage as part of their training out there?

My wife and I used to get regular deep-tissue massages from a very
strong-fingered woman in CT. I mean really deep, too, using elbows and
climbing on the table for more leverage. (She was a marathoner, too.)
Interestingly, she told me that the right side of my body was
"overtrained" compared to the left. I always felt great after one of
those sessions.

So deep tissue maybe the go then thanks for the answers
David
news:[email protected]...

Man o' Tea wrote:
> David wrote:
>
> > Any one using massage as part of their training out there?

> My wife and I used to get regular deep-tissue massages from a very
> strong-fingered woman in CT. I mean really deep, too, using elbows and
> climbing on the table for more leverage. (She was a marathoner, too.)
> Interestingly, she told me that the right side of my body was
> "overtrained" compared to the left. I always felt great after one of
> those sessions.

That not uncommon.
What's more, many people are sometimes surprised when their dominant
side is the "injured" side when infact the real impact/injury occured
on the other side.

But getting back to the original question, using massage as part of
training is quite specific to the sport concerned, in the same way as a
shot-put thrower will have a different training regime than a high
jumper and both will vary in their training to a swimmer... though
anyone, sportive or not, may quite like deep tissue massage.

David most likely knows what a postural assesment is. To tailor desired
swimming posture to actual posture requires the template information to
begin with in order to make comparisons.

Then, in particular, exploiting the inverse-reflex through massage to
assist in attaining the postural goals, specific, tailored massage
become a training aid as specific to the sport as is required.