Road Cycling · Public discussion

There must be something in the water

Started by wafflycat · · Last activity · 4 posts · 390 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Road Cycling
Published
27 July 2005
Last activity
28 July 2005
Original author
wafflycat
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
390
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. There must be, there is no other explanation.

    This morning I set off on bike to go to the local CTC meeting point. In a
    village not a zillion miles from home. It was raining, so I was clad in my
    waterproofs. The experience reiterated the fun it is to cycle in the rain.
    The wind is what makes cycling difficult, not the rain. Anyhow - all the way
    there, cycling on very narrow country lanes, whenever I came up against
    traffic, which was actually quite frequently as compared to a normal day,
    without fail I was met with courtesy - even from WVM!!! Oncoming drivers
    pulled into the side of the road to let me pass - I said thank you of
    course. When I was being overtaken, cars went by slowly and drivers even
    checked in their rear view mirrors before pulling back in. Again, I waved a
    thank you, and even got a friendly wave back. When I got to the place where
    the CTC meet was, I found that there were several CTC people there, but I
    was the only one who had cycled there, due to the weather! Nice, friendly
    bunch, but it seems they meet at 10.30, not at midday as advertised on the
    group website. Still, I shall know better next time. As I said, a friendly
    bunch. I had a coffee with them and then everyone departed setting off in
    the separate directions. I, the lone cyclist, set off once more down the
    lanes and once again was impressed by the total courtesy of drivers. It was
    exceptional today in the volume of goodwill to all road users, including
    middle-aged woman on bike in the rain - all very good natured, which was
    *lovely* :-)

    Cheers, helen s

  2. Wed, 27 Jul 2005 16:32:28 +0100, <[email hidden]>,
    "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> concluded:
    /snip

    Quoted message said:

    I, the lone cyclist, set off once more down the
    lanes and once again was impressed by the total courtesy of drivers. It was
    exceptional today in the volume of goodwill to all road users, including
    middle-aged woman on bike in the rain - all very good natured, which was
    *lovely* :-)

    It may be something of a post-shock reaction. Perhaps, had you been a
    brown skinned male in a turban, you'd have a different story.

    Or maybe it's like here when it rains after a prolonged dry period. It
    seems everybody is relieved that things are back to normal.

    Anyway, I'm glad your ride was uneventful. I like those too.
    --
    zk

  3. "wafflycat" <waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    There must be, there is no other explanation.

    This morning I set off on bike to go to the local CTC meeting point. In a
    village not a zillion miles from home. It was raining, so I was clad in my
    waterproofs. The experience reiterated the fun it is to cycle in the rain.
    The wind is what makes cycling difficult, not the rain. Anyhow - all the


    way

    Quoted message said:

    there, cycling on very narrow country lanes, whenever I came up against
    traffic, which was actually quite frequently as compared to a normal day,
    without fail I was met with courtesy - even from WVM!!! Oncoming drivers
    pulled into the side of the road to let me pass - I said thank you of
    course. When I was being overtaken, cars went by slowly and drivers even
    checked in their rear view mirrors before pulling back in. Again, I waved


    a

    Quoted message said:

    thank you, and even got a friendly wave back. When I got to the place


    where

    Quoted message said:

    the CTC meet was, I found that there were several CTC people there, but I
    was the only one who had cycled there, due to the weather! Nice, friendly
    bunch, but it seems they meet at 10.30, not at midday as advertised on the
    group website. Still, I shall know better next time. As I said, a friendly
    bunch. I had a coffee with them and then everyone departed setting off in
    the separate directions. I, the lone cyclist, set off once more down the
    lanes and once again was impressed by the total courtesy of drivers. It


    was

    Quoted message said:

    exceptional today in the volume of goodwill to all road users, including
    middle-aged woman on bike in the rain - all very good natured, which was
    *lovely* :-)

    Cheers, helen s


    Glad you had a nice safe ride today. I've been doing some riding around
    town (pop 13,000) the last few nights and I too have been impressed with
    driver courtesy. Hopefully it continues!

    Beverly

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    wafflycat' waffles*A*T*v21net*D*O*T*co*D*O*T*uk said:

    It was
    exceptional today in the volume of goodwill to all road users, including
    middle-aged woman on bike in the rain - all very good natured, which was
    *lovely* :-)

    I really do believe niceness begets niceness, and the
    spirit in which we interact with others is reflected
    back to us. People are generally nice.

    Maybe today was payday for a lot of people, and that
    put them in a good mood too. Or maybe Scuffham water
    really does have some interesting (and possibly
    marketable) qualities.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.
    I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn [point] bc [point] ca

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.