There was this hill ... no, there was this mountain ...

Wafflycathcsdir

Guest
Joined the CTC (Cyclists' Touring Club) just before Christmas.

Found out that the local group has an "informal meet" on a Tuesday lunchtime. The one today was
about 18 miles away. Vernon and I took a couple of hours out of the working day (helps to be own
boss), attached the bikes to the back of the car & zoomed over. We thought we'd say "hello" and then
go out for a wee bike ride before coming home.

Got to the meeting place - a nice little cafe at Reepham - old railway station converted, alongside
a disused rail line now the Marriott's Way, a track beloved of walkers & cyclists but at this time
of year, a quagmire.

Embarrassment No 1

Met with the other cyclists - all retired, all cycled at least 20 miles to get there. Vernon and I,
not retired, younger by a considerable amount in some cases, turn up with bikes attached to bike
rack on back of car ...

Embarrassment No 2

Other cyclists will all have to cycle at least 20 miles to get home ... we will have bikes on back
of car ...

Anyhow, we had a bowl of soup, bread rolls & a cup of coffee with the regulars. Nice, welcoming
bunch - all been keen cyclists for years - all looking fit.

Embarrassment No 3

Vernon and I - particularly moi - not looking fit at all :)

After lunch, Vernon and I decided we'd go for a cycle ride around the lanes. After all, surrounded
by these incredibly fit pensioners, we thought we should make the effort at the very least.

Embarrassment No 4

I'll bet you didn't know there are mountains in Norfolk, England. They aren't shown on any map - but
they are there.

Around Reepham are quite a few ups and downs. Indeed, the way we went - there is a particularly
nasty short, sharp shock for those of us who are of less than the fitness level of an active
pensioner :) The B1145 road into Reepham is actually the road straight up the side of Mont Blanc.
Not many people know this, but I do. I got to the top - eventually and did a very good impression of
someone in need of an oxygen mask but who has just had it ripped from them and then placed in an
atmosphere of carbon dioxide. My chest has never heaved so much in all my life. I do believe the
amount of heaving could be measured using the upper register of the Richter Scale. I saw stars
swirling about my head.

I'm now home - I have soaked in a warm bath full of Radox to soothe my aching legs, I have had a cup
of tea and I'm going to have an early night. I can't keep up with the pensioners.

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> Joined the CTC (Cyclists' Touring Club) just before Christmas.

Well done. I did it in the autumn

> Found out that the local group has an "informal meet" on a Tuesday
lunchtime.
> The one today was about 18 miles away. Vernon and I took a couple of hours
out
> of the working day (helps to be own boss), attached the bikes to the back
of
> the car & zoomed over. We thought we'd say "hello" and then go out for a
wee
> bike ride before coming home.

One of the advantages of being your own boss is that you can work any 24 hours in the day you like
:) The other is you might work for an idiot -- but at least you understand him/her.

> Got to the meeting place - a nice little cafe at Reepham - old railway
station
> converted, alongside a disused rail line now the Marriott's Way, a track beloved of walkers &
> cyclists but at this time of year, a quagmire.
>
> Embarrassment No 1
>
> Met with the other cyclists - all retired, all cycled at least 20 miles to
get
> there. Vernon and I, not retired, younger by a considerable amount in some cases, turn up with
> bikes attached to bike rack on back of car ...

No problem. You could take a couple of hours but not the whole day. Anyway, these old codgers have
nothing to do all day but cycle so they are super fit!! (Dons helmet and awaits flack -- but you
know what I mean -- why should they not be fitter than us poor buggers who still have to work.)

> Embarrassment No 2
>
> Other cyclists will all have to cycle at least 20 miles to get home ... we
will
> have bikes on back of car ...

See 1.

> Anyhow, we had a bowl of soup, bread rolls & a cup of coffee with the
regulars.
> Nice, welcoming bunch - all been keen cyclists for years - all looking
fit.

> Embarrassment No 3
>
> Vernon and I - particularly moi - not looking fit at all :)
>
> After lunch, Vernon and I decided we'd go for a cycle ride around the
lanes.
> After all, surrounded by these incredibly fit pensioners, we thought we
should
> make the effort at the very least.
>
> Embarrassment No 4
>
> I'll bet you didn't know there are mountains in Norfolk, England. They
aren't
> shown on any map - but they are there.

Do you know St Mathews Road in Norwich. That's like the north face of the Eiger.

> Around Reepham are quite a few ups and downs. Indeed, the way we went -
there
> is a particularly nasty short, sharp shock for those of us who are of less
than
> the fitness level of an active pensioner :) The B1145 road into Reepham is actually the road
> straight up the side of Mont Blanc. Not many people know this, but I do. I got to the top -
> eventually and did a very good
impression of
> someone in need of an oxygen mask but who has just had it ripped from them
and
> then placed in an atmosphere of carbon dioxide. My chest has never heaved
so
> much in all my life. I do believe the amount of heaving could be measured
using
> the upper register of the Richter Scale. I saw stars swirling about my
head.

Part of it is altitude sickness. Let's face it, anything above sea level can induce altitude
sickness in the flatlanders :)

> I'm now home - I have soaked in a warm bath full of Radox to soothe my
aching
> legs, I have had a cup of tea and I'm going to have an early night. I
can't
> keep up with the pensioners.

No reason you should -- as you say, they are fit.

> Embarrassment No 3
>
> Vernon and I - particularly moi - not looking fit at all :)
>
> After lunch, Vernon and I decided we'd go for a cycle ride around the
lanes.
> After all, surrounded by these incredibly fit pensioners, we thought we
should
> make the effort at the very least. I'm now home - I have soaked in a warm bath full of Radox to
> soothe my
aching
> legs, I have had a cup of tea and I'm going to have an early night. I
can't
> keep up with the pensioners.
>
> Cheers, helen s

Never underestimate the level of pensioner fitness! My Grandad used to hold the CTC record
for a 24 hr timetrial in the over 70 category (or something like that anyway, might have been
over 75!). I'm in my 20s and not that unfit, and could I ride a bike for 24 hrs even at 5mph?
Could I ****!

On 21 Jan 2003 17:35:54 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Joined the CTC (Cyclists' Touring Club) just before Christmas. Found out that the local group has
>an "informal meet" on a Tuesday lunchtime.

Sounds like our local group's "Tuesday Wobble" :)

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter <[email protected]> wrote:

> Embarrassment No 1
>
> Met with the other cyclists - all retired, all cycled at least 20 miles to get there. Vernon and
> I, not retired, younger by a considerable amount in some cases, turn up with bikes attached to
> bike rack on back of car ...

Probably really parked just round the corner out of sight

> Embarrassment No 2
>
> Other cyclists will all have to cycle at least 20 miles to get home ... we will have bikes on back
> of car ...

See 1.

> Embarrassment No 3
>
> Vernon and I - particularly moi - not looking fit at all :)

Looks can be deceptive

> Embarrassment No 4
>
> I'll bet you didn't know there are mountains in Norfolk, England. They aren't shown on any map -
> but they are there.

Even got the East Anglia Mountain Rescue

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The single biggest problem in communication is the illusion that it has taken place" George
Bernard Shaw.

> [...]
> the fitness level of an active pensioner :) The B1145 road into Reepham is actually the road
> straight up the side of Mont Blanc. Not many people know this, but I do. I got to the top -
> eventually and did a very good
impression of
> someone in need of an oxygen mask but who has just had it ripped from them
and
> then placed in an atmosphere of carbon dioxide. My chest has never heaved
so
> much in all my life. I do believe the amount of heaving could be measured
using
> the upper register of the Richter Scale. I saw stars swirling about my
head.

> I'm now home - I have soaked in a warm bath full of Radox to soothe my
aching
> legs, I have had a cup of tea and I'm going to have an early night. I

Respect for sharing that with us Helen .....;-) cheers, Dave. (bloody pensioners, eh?)

In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of
[email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:
> I got to the top - eventually and did a very good impression of someone in need of an oxygen mask
> but who has just had it ripped from them and then placed in an atmosphere of carbon dioxide.

Ditch the paving slabs until you're comfortable with the hilly bits.

--
Wear your paunch with pride!

Tony W wrote:

> [...]
> > someone in need of an oxygen mask but who has just had it ripped from them
> and
> > then placed in an atmosphere of carbon dioxide. My chest has never heaved
> so
> > much in all my life. I do believe the amount of heaving could be measured
> using
> > the upper register of the Richter Scale. I saw stars swirling about my
> head.
>
> Part of it is altitude sickness. Let's face it, anything above sea level can induce altitude
> sickness in the flatlanders :)
> >
> > I'm now home - I have soaked in a warm bath full of Radox to soothe my
> aching
> > legs, I have had a cup of tea and I'm going to have an early night. I
> can't
> > keep up with the pensioners.
>
> No reason you should -- as you say, they are fit.

At least you are back on a bike Helen.

Gas Hill in Norwich is a bit of a killer as well.

Next time, park about half a mile away then cycle to the cafe. spray a bit of water from your bottle
on your face (make sure it is water and not a fancy drink otherwise it would give the game away with
yoghurty looking stuff over your forehead)

Pete

Be nice to your kids, they get to choose your nursing home

In article <[email protected]>, jonnym79 @ukonline.co.uk says...
> Never underestimate the level of pensioner fitness!

Too true. I cycled last year with a "pensioner" who regular rides across India, the lumpy bits at
that. I run with a "pensioner" who has run up more Munros than I have had vegetarian options.

Colin

>No problem. You could take a couple of hours but not the whole day. Anyway, these old codgers have
>nothing to do all day but cycle so they are super fit!! (Dons helmet and awaits flack -- but you
>know what I mean -- why should they not be fitter than us poor buggers who still have to work.)

Darn right too! ;-)

>Do you know St Mathews Road in Norwich. That's like the north face of the Eiger.

Indeed, it is also around here cycling to the next village from my place. Sneaky b*ggers too - rise
up out of nowhere - not on a map - darned inconsiderate of them!

>Part of it is altitude sickness. Let's face it, anything above sea level can induce altitude
>sickness in the flatlanders :)

But it's not flat! It's got mountains! Sneaky ones!

Cheers, helen s (still exhausted)

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

> Never underestimate the level of pensioner fitness! My Grandad used to hold the CTC record for
> a 24 hr timetrial in the over 70 category (or something like that anyway, might have been over
> 75!). I'm in my 20s and not that unfit, and could I ride a bike for 24 hrs even at 5mph? Could
> I ****!

Humph! I think they should all go back to work, so we "youngsters" can take the time out to
get fit ;-)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

>Sounds like our local group's "Tuesday Wobble" :)

Plenty of it from me :)

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

>Respect for sharing that with us Helen .....;-) cheers, Dave. (bloody pensioners, eh?)

Thank you :) I don't mind owning up I have no dignity when cycling ;-)

Cheers, helen s (still X!**XX! exhausted!)

~~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~~

at the keyboard of "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Tony Blair and the pensions industry are working on it.

For once, not Tony's fault. The pensions collapse has been inevitable for some time: I predicted it
(the fact, though not the details) back in the 1980s. Too many retired people, too few working,
means a smaller pot to go round. And pensions-for-all means that small pot is spread thinly. The
"save up" theory works nicely for a few, but when everyone does it the value of the savings are
inevitably devalued to match the value of the total pot (i.e. the difference between what the
working population produce and what they keep for themselves). Todays pensioners are living in a
golden age that can't last.

--
Wear your paunch with pride!

> > Never underestimate the level of pensioner fitness! My Grandad used
> >hold the CTC record for a 24 hr timetrial in the over 70 category (or something like that anyway,
> >might have been over 75!). I'm in my 20s and not that unfit, and could I ride a bike for 24 hrs
> >even at 5mph? Could I ****!
>
> Humph! I think they should all go back to work, so we "youngsters" can
take the
> time out to get fit ;-)

Tony Blair and the pensions industry are working on it. By the time we are ready to retire and spend
our days cycling the Blair gauleiters will be forcing us into the work houses :(

wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter wrote:

> >Sounds like our local group's "Tuesday Wobble" :)
>
> Plenty of it from me :)

Lucky PS didn't see you.

John B

On 22 Jan 2003 09:31:34 GMT, [email protected] (wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter) wrote:

>Now Pete, far be it from me to cast aspertions.

No, just paving slabs. Leave the nasturtiums out of it.

Guy
===
dynamic DNS permitting)
work. Apologies.

> Tony W <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > gauleiters
> >

> I nominate that for urc word of the week ;-)

I should have added (sp??). Nazi regional governors to you & me!! & I spelt it correctly -- a
triumph of German phonetisism over British dyslexia -- with no help from Mircrosnot spellchecker!!