There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled

donquijote1954

Guest
There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled. It's
the whole system that needs to be changed. The License to Kill given to
absolute beginners, the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
something unheard of in Europe), the reckless talk on the phone, the
driving of monster vehicles with raised bumpers that can kill above the
protection area of any other car, the insurance companies that fail to
make those guilty ones pay for every loss they cause, and so many other
areas in which the government and organizations such as Mothers Against
Drunk Drivers are totally indifferent.

In the meantime the jungle continues out there...

"It's No Accident: The Real Story Behind Senseless Death and Injury on
Our Roads"
by Lisa Lewis

For more than 30 years, the government has been ramming cars into walls
in an effort to make car crashes safe. The public has been conditioned
to believe that seatbelts, airbags and more "crashworthy" vehicles are
the best ways to protect us from harm on the roads. Meanwhile, the most
basic strategies to deter dangerous driving and prevent crashes have
been ignored. "It's No Accident" provides a rare glimpse into how the
government got seduced by the promise of "safe crashing." It then
examines the major factors involved in crashes today, including
speeding, aggressive driving, distractions (e.g. cell phones) and
drowsy driving. The author reveals that many dangerous behaviors are
now promoted by businesses, and that drivers who kill often walk away
with just a small fine. This expose is a must-read for anyone concerned
about what's happening on our roads and how to stop it.

Reviews:
Interesting ...
2 Dec 2005 (updated 15 Dec 2005)
by John
This book is a very nuanced discussion of the problems of road safety.
The author challenges the government, the insurance industry, the auto
industry, the media, the motorists, and even Mothers Against Drunk
Driving to defend the outrageous and immoral behavior that we're seeing
on the roads today -- and the degree to which they are contributing to
it. It is a no-holds barred expose that reveals the hard truths about
behaviors and policies that put innocent people at risk on the roads.

Right on Target [ No Rating ] 10 Jan 2006
by falconer
I ordered three books from the vendor and
requested that my order be mailed by federal express (it was a cost of
$14.00). They indicated that I would receive the books on the following
Tuesday and I did. I was pleased with the service. I would like to
compliment you for a book that is well written. I have not looked at
car safety as much from the crash prevention but from crash mitigation.
You are so on target. The book needs to be read by many, I am trying to
encourage everyone I know to read it. I have about
twenty pages left. I can feel your frustration....... and I really
agreed at how you look at MADD it is not only drinking but it is
speed,following too close and of course those cell phones users. I will
be sending your organization more money by the end of the week ( I made
a pledge of 50.00)./ MADD should listen to all of the accidents
included fatal ones that happen everyday in the morning as people are
going to work.........

http://www.lulu.com/content/186268

WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE
http://webspawner.com/users/donquijote

BIKE FOR PEACE
http://webspawner.com/users/bikeforpeace

That's right, what passes for safety these days is nothing more than
accident survival.

The emphisis needs to return to accident prevention and the enforcement of
lane integrity laws.

donquijote1954 wrote:

> (passing on the right, something unheard of in Europe)

Funny, I thought the UK was in Europe.

--
Jim

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:19:25 -0400, "BE" <[email protected]> wrote:

>That's right, what passes for safety these days is nothing more than
>accident survival.
>
>The emphisis needs to return to accident prevention and the enforcement of
>lane integrity laws.

ANd we can put that emphisis on just AFTER we get rid of the SPAMMERs
such as the original poster who is just flogging his books.

On 28 Sep 2006 13:09:31 -0700, "donquijote1954" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled. It's
>the whole system that needs to be changed. The License to Kill given to
>absolute beginners, the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
>something unheard of in Europe),

There

is

nothing

wrong

with

passing

on

the

right.

Period.

I wish to hell people would stop coming up with this stuff. What Europe does
is non-relavent in the USA. This silly law was repealed 30+ years ago here
when we began building our interstates with left exits, among other things that
included everyone being infuriated at someone in the left lane doing the SL -
10 mph and then getting a ticket for passing the SOB.

Dave Head

Dave Head wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2006 13:09:31 -0700, "donquijote1954" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

>>There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled. It's
>>the whole system that needs to be changed. The License to Kill given to
>>absolute beginners, the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
>>something unheard of in Europe),

> There
>
> is
>
> nothing
>
> wrong
>
> with
>
> passing
>
> on
>
> the
>
> right.
>
> Period.

Sure there is. In an environment where people are used to others
driving correctly (i.e. not the USA,) they're not expecting to be passed
on the right. Doing something that other drivers don't expect increases
risk, however slightly.

> I wish to hell people would stop coming up with this stuff. What Europe does
> is non-relavent in the USA. This silly law was repealed 30+ years ago here
> when we began building our interstates with left exits, among other things that
> included everyone being infuriated at someone in the left lane doing the SL -
> 10 mph and then getting a ticket for passing the SOB.
>
> Dave Head

The correct solution is to not have left exits and to enforce lane
discipline laws, and then this discussion will be irrelevant.

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Dave Head wrote:
> On 28 Sep 2006 13:09:31 -0700, "donquijote1954" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>
> >There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled. It's
> >the whole system that needs to be changed. The License to Kill given to
> >absolute beginners, the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
> >something unheard of in Europe),

> There
>
> is
>
> nothing
>
> wrong
>
> with
>
> passing
>
> on
>
> the
>
> right.
>
> Period.
>
>Most highways in North America have signs that say "Slower traffic keep right" seems to inidicate that we should pass on the Left.

Bg

"Nate Nagel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dave Head wrote:
>> On 28 Sep 2006 13:09:31 -0700, "donquijote1954"
>> <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>

>>>There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled. It's
>>>the whole system that needs to be changed. The License to Kill given to
>>>absolute beginners, the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
>>>something unheard of in Europe),

>> There is
>>
>> nothing
>>
>> wrong
>>
>> with
>>
>> passing
>>
>> on
>>
>> the right.
>>
>> Period.

> Sure there is. In an environment where people are used to others driving
> correctly (i.e. not the USA,) they're not expecting to be passed on the
> right. Doing something that other drivers don't expect increases risk,
> however slightly.
>

>> I wish to hell people would stop coming up with this stuff. What Europe
>> does
>> is non-relavent in the USA. This silly law was repealed 30+ years ago
>> here
>> when we began building our interstates with left exits, among other
>> things that
>> included everyone being infuriated at someone in the left lane doing the
>> SL -
>> 10 mph and then getting a ticket for passing the SOB. Dave Head

> The correct solution is to not have left exits and to enforce lane
> discipline laws, and then this discussion will be irrelevant.
>
> nate
>
> --
> replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
> http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

Go drive down the Eisenhower I-290 between 1st and Austin and tell me that
again.

I don't have to. I've done it many times. I've got off at both Austin and
Harlem and also got ON at both streets, and they are both off and ON on the
left. And as far as I know, we still drive on the Right side of the road
here.

Charles of Schaumburg.

donquijote1954 wrote:
> There's much more than drunk drivers that need to be controlled. It's
> the whole system that needs to be changed. The License to Kill given to
> absolute beginners, the lack of lane discipline (passing on the right,
> something unheard of in Europe)

Call-sign of the LLB: criticism of "passing on the right".

n5hsr wrote:
> "Nate Nagel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Dave Head wrote:
> >> On 28 Sep 2006 13:09:31 -0700, "donquijote1954"
> >> <[email protected]>

> >> There is
> >>
> >> nothing
> >>
> >> wrong
> >>
> >> with
> >>
> >> passing
> >>
> >> on
> >>
> >> the right.
> >>
> >> Period.

> > Sure there is. In an environment where people are used to others driving
> > correctly (i.e. not the USA,) they're not expecting to be passed on the
> > right. Doing something that other drivers don't expect increases risk,
> > however slightly.
> >

> >> I wish to hell people would stop coming up with this stuff. What Europe
> >> does
> >> is non-relavent in the USA. This silly law was repealed 30+ years ago
> >> here
> >> when we began building our interstates with left exits, among other
> >> things that
> >> included everyone being infuriated at someone in the left lane doing the
> >> SL -
> >> 10 mph and then getting a ticket for passing the SOB. Dave Head

> > The correct solution is to not have left exits and to enforce lane
> > discipline laws, and then this discussion will be irrelevant.
> >
> > nate
> >
> > --
> > replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
> > http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

> Go drive down the Eisenhower I-290 between 1st and Austin and tell me that
> again.
>
> I don't have to. I've done it many times. I've got off at both Austin and
> Harlem and also got ON at both streets, and they are both off and ON on the
> left. And as far as I know, we still drive on the Right side of the road
> here.

Whoever designed the Ike/Harlem [1] interchange should be committed.
Entering the Ike when the traffic is heavy but moving fast (daytime,
off rush hour) is a gamble - put your foot down and hope there is an
opening in traffic before the merging lane ends.

[1]
<http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=4&S=10&Z=16&X=2166&Y=23180&W=2&qs=harlem%7criver+forest%7cil%7c&Addr=N+Harlem+Ave%2c+River+Forest%2c+IL+60305&ALon=-87.8055720&ALat=41.9034257>.

--
Tom "Ex FIB" Sherman - Here, not there.

"Nate Nagel" <[email protected]> wrote

> The correct solution is to not have left exits and to enforce lane
> discipline laws, and then this discussion will be irrelevant.

Gee, if only the world were perfect...but it isn't, and never will be; which
means that such arguments will remain relevant for the foreseeable
future...or until whenever humanity becomes extinct.

On 28 Sep 2006 13:09:31 -0700, "donquijote1954"

>For more than 30 years, the government has been ramming cars into walls
>in an effort to make car crashes safe. The public has been conditioned
>to believe that seatbelts, airbags and more "crashworthy" vehicles are
>the best ways to protect us from harm on the roads. Meanwhile, the most
>basic strategies to deter dangerous driving and prevent crashes have
>been ignored. "It's No Accident" provides a rare glimpse into how the
>government got seduced by the promise of "safe crashing." It then
>examines the major factors involved in crashes today, including
>speeding, aggressive driving, distractions (e.g. cell phones) and
>drowsy driving. The author reveals that many dangerous behaviors are
>now promoted by businesses, and that drivers who kill often walk away
>with just a small fine. This expose is a must-read for anyone concerned
>about what's happening on our roads and how to stop it.

Yes indeed, the automotive industy encourages reckless driving because
they make a fortune off replacing all the cars totalled in crashes
every year. And the media is paid to go along with it by carrying all
these sick commercials that glorify speeding and by referring to all
crashes as accidents.

The highway murder problem is the biggest crime problem in america and
the most correctable Stop coddling these deadly speeders and DUIs and
phone-drivers.

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:19:25 -0400, "BE" <[email protected]> wrote:

>That's right, what passes for safety these days is nothing more than
>accident survival.
>
>The emphisis needs to return to accident prevention and the enforcement of
>lane integrity laws.

Lane integrity laws.?? HAHAHA. What about the deadly speeders and
drunk drivers, you nitwit??

P.Roehling wrote:
> "Nate Nagel" <[email protected]> wrote
>

>>The correct solution is to not have left exits and to enforce lane
>>discipline laws, and then this discussion will be irrelevant.

> Gee, if only the world were perfect...but it isn't, and never will be; which
> means that such arguments will remain relevant for the foreseeable
> future...or until whenever humanity becomes extinct.

you make it sound like I'm suggesting something outlandish; I'm not.
Currently the DC beltway is having several interchanges rebuilt and
I believe that the long term plan is to eliminate left exits. So at
least some highway engineers and urban planners agree with me. My other
suggestion was to enforce an existing law. What's so radical about that?

nate

--
replace "fly" with "com" to reply.
http://home.comcast.net/~njnagel

"Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 16:19:25 -0400, "BE" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>That's right, what passes for safety these days is nothing more than
>>accident survival.
>>
>>The emphisis needs to return to accident prevention and the enforcement of
>>lane integrity laws.
>>

> Lane integrity laws.?? HAHAHA. What about the deadly speeders and
> drunk drivers, you nitwit??

Yeah. Here in Illinois, you're supposed to use a signal when changing
lanes. That's been a law since 1965 and they still don't do it on average
up here.

Or the law about turning your lights on when using your wipers. That's been
a law since 1990.

Or the law about doing more than 20 over the limit is a felony. If that's
so, then 99.999% of the drivers on the TriState Tollway are felons, because
the average speed most of the time is nearer 80 than 55. I've seen some
days when it hit closer to 90, and even the right lane is going 75-80.

Charles of Schaumburg

says...
> Go drive down the Eisenhower I-290 between 1st and Austin and tell me that
> again.
>
> I don't have to. I've done it many times. I've got off at both Austin and
> Harlem and also got ON at both streets, and they are both off and ON on the
> left. And as far as I know, we still drive on the Right side of the road
> here.

There's a lot of history behind those left-hand exits, and IDOT would really
like to make them go away.

But why is this is rec.BICYCLES.misc? r.b.soc, maybe, but only if we start
discussing whether bikes should be allowed on the Ike (CM's little stunt a few
years back should provide fodder).

--

__o Kristian Zoerhoff
_'\(,_ [email protected]

Speeders & Drunk Drivers are MURDERERS wrote:
> Lane integrity laws.??

That's right.

You see, enforcing lane discipline and eliminating tailgating in the
States would demonstrate that highway speed limits are largely
unneccesary -- but the cops and politicians don't want that. After all,
safer highways mean less revenue for the government. Instead, they
allow unskilled nincompoops in 6,000-pound SUVs to drive like the
inattentive morons they are, nabbing them in droves for going 5-over at
$150 a pop. Easy money.

Any number of studies and stats can be googled that show how in areas
where highway speed limits are higher, per-capita fatalities are LOWER.
Germany, Italy, and (until recently) Montana are all good examples,
just for starters.

Tim Kreitz
2003 ZX7R
2000 ZX6R
http://www.timkreitz.com

Kristian M Zoerhoff wrote:
> But why is this is rec.BICYCLES.misc? r.b.soc, maybe, but only if we start
> discussing whether bikes should be allowed on the Ike (CM's little stunt a few
> years back should provide fodder).

It's only in r.b.m because the OP was spamming his book.

Austin

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 06:13:39 GMT, Speeders & Drunk Drivers are
MURDERERS <[email protected]> wrote:
>Stop coddling these deadly speeders and DUIs and phone-drivers.

Yea, and make stepping on the brakes in the merge lanes a felony. You
can't merge on a highway with your foot on the brake!

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 04:22:51 -0500, "n5hsr" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Or the law about doing more than 20 over the limit is a felony. If that's
>so, then 99.999% of the drivers on the TriState Tollway are felons, because
>the average speed most of the time is nearer 80 than 55. I've seen some
>days when it hit closer to 90, and even the right lane is going 75-80.
>
>Charles of Schaumburg

I don't believe there is any such law, though i'd love to see it. You
got a link?