Thermal bike jacket american size large

cyclintom

Jan 15, 2011
I have a Capo winter jacket that worked pretty well. It was a little tight around the waist but that wasn't something that bothered me. It had just enough insulation to work well in the weather here in the bay area - 40 degrees mornings to 60 degree afternoon in the winter.

However, like most cheap junk these days it has a plastic zipper and bending down on the bars was its downfall. The plastic zipper with metal pulls failed for 1-2" near the bottom. I probably won't be able to find a place that can repair it and put a real metal zipper in it.

So can anyone suggest a replacement jacket? I have a Pearl Izumi Select and another jacket from Europe that fit me well but the damn cold wind blows through it and on descents after a hard climb freeze your you know what's off. In a suit jacket I wear a 44 Long and most European jackets have either sleeves too short or armpit to armpit measurements for a gorilla.

Looking up various manufacturers they are very careful not to give you actual measurements but rely on that damn "Large" which comes in American Large, Japanese and Taiwan Large and European Large all of which are significantly different.

I drove down to Pearl Izumi outlet in Gilroy and bought a "Pro" jacket. This has a somewhat windproof front and breathable back. I wore a heavy long sleeve jersey with the jacket on a day with a high of 50 degrees and the morning in the 30's and it work good if not perfect. It was a bit expensive but at the outlet the price of $200 was reduced to $150.

I try not to buy the real expensive stuff only because if by chance I go down the jacket will more then likely be a goner, and I haven't found a jacket that cost 100% more than what I would buy to have 100% better features, usually only about 5% better features. I like my Bontrager thermal jacket well enough, it was expensive at $200 but it was on a end of the year closeout sale so I only paid $95.

The problem is with cycling accessories is that they're not worth the money they charge for them but it's cycling related so they gouge you on the price.

I try not to buy the real expensive stuff only because if by chance I go down the jacket will more then likely be a goner, and I haven't found a jacket that cost 100% more than what I would buy to have 100% better features, usually only about 5% better features. I like my Bontrager thermal jacket well enough, it was expensive at $200 but it was on a end of the year closeout sale so I only paid $95.

The problem is with cycling accessories is that they're not worth the money they charge for them but it's cycling related so they gouge you on the price.
Well, the idea is that the clothing is there to protect you. I had the strangest fall last Sunday. I was approaching a newly make overpass on a somewhat rough road and hit something that threw the bike out of control. I hadn't seen anything. I fell hard on my entire right side. I did get some road rash on my right hip but the Pearl Izumi shorts didn't get any damage and after three days the road rash is well enough that I took the bandages off.

Some motorist stopped to help me. He must have been a cyclist since he put the chain back onto the cranks before he helped me up. He said that as I was riding under a tree a pine cone fell out and bounced under my front wheel. That's certainly a new one with me. It also cracked my helmet a bit so I just threw that away after I got home. I hope I thanked him for my help but I was pretty shook up from that sort of fall since I almost hit my head against the curb which I didn't think they even had one at the point.

Haven't been able to ride since then but tomorrow I'll do another 50 miler.

Well, the idea is that the clothing is there to protect you. I had the strangest fall last Sunday. I was approaching a newly make overpass on a somewhat rough road and hit something that threw the bike out of control. I hadn't seen anything. I fell hard on my entire right side. I did get some road rash on my right hip but the Pearl Izumi shorts didn't get any damage and after three days the road rash is well enough that I took the bandages off.

Some motorist stopped to help me. He must have been a cyclist since he put the chain back onto the cranks before he helped me up. He said that as I was riding under a tree a pine cone fell out and bounced under my front wheel. That's certainly a new one with me. It also cracked my helmet a bit so I just threw that away after I got home. I hope I thanked him for my help but I was pretty shook up from that sort of fall since I almost hit my head against the curb which I didn't think they even had one at the point.

Haven't been able to ride since then but tomorrow I'll do another 50 miler.

Tom once again you missed the boat. While the idea of clothing to protect you is true, clothing will protect you the same if it cost $50 or $500. Your Pearl Izumi thing made no sense either, you're saying, from the way you worded it, that your hip was covered by your short but that the hip got road rash but the short didn't even get a scuff mark, to which I say that a huge BS story. Then you go on to say that some passerby thought it wiser to put the chain back on your bike before bothering to help you up? Either the passerby was a bit out of sorts with reality or again you made up the story. And then that same passerby saw a pine cone fall and that caused you to crash but you never saw it...LMAO!!!!

I guess where you live smoking pot must be legal.

Tom once again you missed the boat. While the idea of clothing to protect you is true, clothing will protect you the same if it cost $50 or $500. Your Pearl Izumi thing made no sense either, you're saying, from the way you worded it, that your hip was covered by your short but that the hip got road rash but the short didn't even get a scuff mark, to which I say that a huge BS story. Then you go on to say that some passerby thought it wiser to put the chain back on your bike before bothering to help you up? Either the passerby was a bit out of sorts with reality or again you made up the story. And then that same passerby saw a pine cone fall and that caused you to crash but you never saw it...LMAO!!!!

I guess where you live smoking pot must be legal.
In your world you seem to think that people can do two things at once. Help me up when after he took the bike off of the top of me, he should put it down to help me up? Unlike you I live in the real world. I destroyed my Nashbar cheap shorts in the same sort of fall that did twice as much skin damage. You really ought to look into WHY expensive shorts cost so much. The really expensive ones in the Tour are designed so that they slide without causing skin damage underneath or being destroyed for the rest of the stage. And by the way - I got those Pearl Izumi top of the line shorts at the discount store in Phoenix for less than the Nashbar shorts. Some of us believe in shopping and others believe in wishing they could afford to buy the good stuff.

I'm beginning to think you're PansyBob's next door neighbor - on purpose.