Thick as a Brick Yanks

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by BCL, Oct 31, 2004.

  1. BCL

    BCL Guest

    Tags:

  2. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    BCL wrote:
    > Vy are you not speeking in der deuch
    >
    > http://www.bikehighway.com/emailnews.htm
    >

    > Regards
    > Bruce

    Always loved the T-Shirts in Salzburg that said "There are no kangaroos
    in Austria".

    DaveB

  3. DaveB <[email protected]> wrote:

    > BCL wrote:
    > > Vy are you not speeking in der deuch
    > >
    > > http://www.bikehighway.com/emailnews.htm
    > >

    > > Regards
    > > Bruce

    > Always loved the T-Shirts in Salzburg that said "There are no kangaroos
    > in Austria".
    >
    > DaveB

    http://www.blather.net/shitegeist/000085.htm
    Wed May 14, 2:13 PM ET
    VIENNA, Austria - Who said there are no kangaroos in Austria?
    Those struggling to distinguish the small alpine country in Europe from
    Australia were dealt a blow when a kangaroo was hit by a car and killed
    in central Austria...

    --
    Peter McCallum
    Mackay Qld AUSTRALIA

  4. fred nieman

    fred nieman Guest

  5. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:13:30 +1100, BCL <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Vy are you not speeking in der deuch
    >
    >http://www.bikehighway.com/emailnews.htm
    >

    >Regards
    >Bruce

    While this Yank can actually find Oz on a globe, many can't be
    bothered with small details such as a minor country way round on the
    other side of the world (even if you do speak English...sort of). ;-)

    BTW, we Yanks really appreciate Nicole Kidman, Naomi Watts, Portia De
    Rossi, etc. Thanks! :)

  6. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 09:48:53 +1100, DaveB wrote:

    > Always loved the T-Shirts in Salzburg that said "There are no kangaroos
    > in Austria".

    I bought one of them :)

    -kt

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    good. you can 'ave em! :D
    and as a bonus we can also give you free set of steak knives and a bum-wiping attachment for your prez, our very own man of steel, John Howard.
    As Kerry rides campag, he gets my vote.

    one cog, one god

  8. Paul J

    Paul J New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 10, 2003
    I heard something about some election thingy somewhere the other day. Can anyone confirm?

  9. BCL

    BCL Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 23:06:58 +1100, fred nieman
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Aqualung

    Stand Up when you say that

    Regards
    Bruce

  10. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "BCL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 23:06:58 +1100, fred nieman
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> Aqualung

    > Stand Up when you say that

    Oh, give him the Benefit of the doubt.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  11. fred nieman

    fred nieman Guest

    Re: Thick as a Brick Yanks

    DRS wrote:
    > "BCL" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >>On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 23:06:58 +1100, fred nieman
    >><[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>>Aqualung

    >>Stand Up when you say that

    What the Dickens?!?
    Should I stand on one leg like a crane when I say that? While I'm
    playing my flute and singing at the same time?

    > Oh, give him the Benefit of the doubt.

    Yep, Ian Anderson prolly rides a unicycl...

    *"Ber-dub-ber-dub-ber-dub-ber-dub..."*

    Ooops, sorry all, that was the sound of my (admittedly rather small)
    brain feverishly bumping against my skull and saying, "Body! Don't admit
    that the get the jokes!"

    xxx
    fred "Prof Pangloss says that all id for the best in this best of all
    possible worlds" k

    ps: urgent. cfsmtb, please help. am trapped in 70s prog-rock thread.
    send 80s pop trivia asap... eom.

  12. ProfTournesol

    ProfTournesol New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 22, 2003
    they all had English lessons. it took ages for them to lose the german accent:)

  13. cfsmtb

    cfsmtb New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 11, 2003
    Messages:
    4,963

    Currrently listening to first CD of Roxy Music Platinum Collection. Sorry can't help you out here Fred, both ends burning and do the strand as this is tomorrow...fixed your computers clock? Really like Eno's early doodly stuff.

    80's?,80's?,80's?, try Sky. They were slightly like Bond, similiar orchestral prog-rock, but really ugly pommy blokes, not cute violin playing bimbettes..

  14. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "cfsmtb" <[email protected]
    > 80's?,80's?,80's?, try Sky. They were slightly like Bond, similiar
    > orchestral prog-rock, but really ugly pommy blokes, not cute violin
    > playing bimbettes..

    I used to listen to my parent's Sky records... ahh memories..
    Maybe they created the technolust I currently suffer?

    hippy

  15. fred nieman

    fred nieman Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > "cfsmtb" <[email protected]
    >
    >>80's?,80's?,80's?, try Sky. They were slightly like Bond, similiar
    >>orchestral prog-rock, but really ugly pommy blokes, not cute violin
    >>playing bimbettes..

    When the attempted popularisation of western classical music in pop form
    was done by balding former prog-rock types...
    Ah, yes, the good old days... listening to Bach cantatas and "Yessongs"
    at the Glenorchy Regional Library when I should have been playing Galaga
    down at Noddys on Main Road...
    And what's with the sexy people playing violins? It's just not right.

    ps: they (the sexy people playing violins) prolly ride Merlin Ti
    road-bikes, high-end UK Raleigh MTBs, and custom fixies

    > I used to listen to my parent's Sky records... ahh memories..
    > Maybe they created the technolust I currently suffer?
    >
    > hippy

    Your *parents* had Sky records?!?

    Hippy, you are soooo kill-filed in
    aus.bicycle.80s.music, aus.bicycle.80s.music.one_hit_wonders,
    aus.bicycle.80s.culture, and aus.bicycle.80s.culture.club ...

    You will now *never* know what "My Sharona" was really about.
    And despite your technolust, you are forever banned from knowing
    whatever (ooops, 90s reference) happened to "Pong"...

    Or something

    xx
    fn

    ps: DEVO prolly rode cheapy K-Mart 10-speeds. But of course they did

  16. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "fred nieman" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > "cfsmtb" <[email protected]
    > >>80's?,80's?,80's?, try Sky. They were slightly like Bond, similiar
    > >>orchestral prog-rock, but really ugly pommy blokes, not cute violin
    > >>playing bimbettes..

    > > I used to listen to my parent's Sky records... ahh memories..
    > > Maybe they created the technolust I currently suffer?
    > >

    > Your *parents* had Sky records?!?

    Yeppers

    > Hippy, you are soooo kill-filed in
    > aus.bicycle.80s.music, aus.bicycle.80s.music.one_hit_wonders,
    > aus.bicycle.80s.culture, and aus.bicycle.80s.culture.club ...

    Thank god! ;-)

    > You will now *never* know what "My Sharona" was really about.

    Oh man.. you just happened to pick one of my most hated
    songs.. This particular song was one of a couple to be played
    a 'minimum' of three times a night, every Saturday night at
    Doms nightclub in Mildura. The problem was I couldn't leave.
    At any one time there is only one 'happening' place in Mildura
    and Doms was it. All I wanted to do was get drunk and pick up
    but now I had to deal with cringing in a corner as my eardrums
    were assaulted repeatedly with "ma ma ma my sharona!"
    I actually sampled it and made an anti-My Sharona track..
    "Barbie Girl" was one of the other 'lets play this 100 times a
    night because everyone seems to love it' songs... You see now
    why I am as disturbed as I am? ;-)

    > And despite your technolust, you are forever banned from knowing
    > whatever (ooops, 90s reference) happened to "Pong"...

    The only Pong I know is the Atari game and the smell
    from my pile of commuter gear in the office :-D

    If it makes you feel any better, I have recently revived
    Duran Duran's "Planet Earth".. and I have a CRAZY
    remix of that "You spin me right round baby, right round
    like a record baby, right round, round round" on 12"..

    I've probably still got a few tapes worth of Barry Bistle(?)
    doing the Coca Cola Tape40 Australia! Remember the
    Dr. Who song? I think it was based on a Garry Glitter
    song? I gotta dig some of that crap out! :)

    hippy

  17. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "fred nieman" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > "cfsmtb" <[email protected]
    > >>80's?,80's?,80's?, try Sky. They were slightly like Bond, similiar
    > >>orchestral prog-rock, but really ugly pommy blokes, not cute violin
    > >>playing bimbettes..

    > > I used to listen to my parent's Sky records... ahh memories..
    > > Maybe they created the technolust I currently suffer?
    > >

    > Your *parents* had Sky records?!?

    Yeppers

    > Hippy, you are soooo kill-filed in
    > aus.bicycle.80s.music, aus.bicycle.80s.music.one_hit_wonders,
    > aus.bicycle.80s.culture, and aus.bicycle.80s.culture.club ...

    Thank god! ;-)

    > You will now *never* know what "My Sharona" was really about.

    Oh man.. you just happened to pick one of my most hated
    songs.. This particular song was one of a couple to be played
    a 'minimum' of three times a night, every Saturday night at
    Doms nightclub in Mildura. The problem was I couldn't leave.
    At any one time there is only one 'happening' place in Mildura
    and Doms was it. All I wanted to do was get drunk and pick up
    but now I had to deal with cringing in a corner as my eardrums
    were assaulted repeatedly with "ma ma ma my sharona!"
    I actually sampled it and made an anti-My Sharona track..
    "Barbie Girl" was one of the other 'lets play this 100 times a
    night because everyone seems to love it' songs... You see now
    why I am as disturbed as I am? ;-)

    > And despite your technolust, you are forever banned from knowing
    > whatever (ooops, 90s reference) happened to "Pong"...

    The only Pong I know is the Atari game and the smell
    from my pile of commuter gear in the office :-D

    If it makes you feel any better, I have recently revived
    Duran Duran's "Planet Earth".. and I have a CRAZY
    remix of that "You spin me right round baby, right round
    like a record baby, right round, round round" on 12"..

    I've probably still got a few tapes worth of Barry Bistle(?)
    doing the Coca Cola Tape40 Australia! Remember the
    Dr. Who song? I think it was based on a Garry Glitter
    song? I gotta dig some of that crap out! :)

    hippy

  18. byron27

    byron27 New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2003
    when were you up at mildura hipps?
    my parents worked at the council up there for a few years in the mid-90's.
    i went there once to visit them, though i dont think i will ever, ever, ever go back there again.
    unless of course i develop an unnatural aversion to citrus fruit i guess....

  19. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "byron27" <[email protected]
    > when were you up at mildura hipps?

    1980 - 1996

    > my parents worked at the council up there for a few years in the
    > mid-90's.

    Poor souls..

    > i went there once to visit them, though i dont think i will ever, ever,
    > ever go back there again.

    Any particular reason?

    > unless of course i develop an unnatural aversion to citrus fruit i
    > guess....

    I don't particuarly like oranges, grapes or wine. Wonder
    if that was caused by my locale?

    hippy

  20. TimC

    TimC Guest

    On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 at 04:20 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
    > "byron27" <[email protected]
    >> when were you up at mildura hipps?

    > 1980 - 1996

    When was I there?

    Maybe 90-92.

    >> unless of course i develop an unnatural aversion to citrus fruit i
    >> guess....

    > I don't particuarly like oranges, grapes or wine. Wonder
    > if that was caused by my locale?

    I still like oranges, lettuce and grapes.

    Never liked, and never will like asparagus though.

    And down here, I just can't find oranges that are any good. Damn the
    packing process! Damn them all to heck!

    Oh, and I still certainly can't handle 47 degree days. I certainly
    wouldn't go pick grapes in that again.

    Oh, and missing the murray. Want to go houseboating again.

    That [Tim-Tam] would be the Classic. Not to be confused with the
    Chocolate, Chocolate, Chocolate, and Double Chocolate flavour.
    (Personally, I prefer Cadbury's Doubles myself. Tim Tams don't taste
    enough of chocolate.) -- Faceless Man on ARK