Thick as a Brick Yanks

"TimC" <[email protected]
> On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 at 04:20 GMT, hippy (aka Bruce)
> > "byron27" <[email protected]
> >> when were you up at mildura hipps?

> > 1980 - 1996

> When was I there?
> Maybe 90-92.

A good year... or three...

> I still like oranges, lettuce and grapes.
>
> Never liked, and never will like asparagus though.

Hmm.. it's nothing special but I'll eat it. Like the
other produce mentioned really.

> And down here, I just can't find oranges that are any good. Damn the
> packing process! Damn them all to heck!

I'm surprised all the oranges here aren't from the states..
I can still remember the truckloads they dumped years
ago when the cheaper US oranges were coming in.
Man, you should see Japanese fruit... <homer drool>

> Oh, and I still certainly can't handle 47 degree days. I certainly
> wouldn't go pick grapes in that again.

I vowed when I left never to pick another grape.

> Oh, and missing the murray. Want to go houseboating again.

Damn straight! I was kickin' back on its sandy banks
on the long weekend watching satellites pass by
overhead. City folk are always amazed at how many
more stars you can see in the bush..

hippy wonders if he could live off a Mildura courier's wage ;-)

hippy said:

> i went there once to visit them, though i dont think i will ever, ever,
> ever go back there again.

Any particular reason?

well, my dad was actually the CEO of the council and he started getting death threats from people in the community, which was a bit full on, so they left in quite a hurry.

I spent a week there in 1995 and after cruising around the town for a couple of days i spent the next 5 shooting freethrows at the local BBall court. My best in a day was 778 out of 1000......

"byron27" <[email protected]
> > > i went there once to visit them, though i dont think i will ever,

> > ever, ever go back there again.
> >
> > Any particular reason?
> >

> well, my dad was actually the CEO of the council and he started getting
> death threats from people in the community, which was a bit full on, so
> they left in quite a hurry.

I can probably guess who was involved..

> I spent a week there in 1995 and after cruising around the town for a
> couple of days i spent the next 5 shooting freethrows at the local
> BBall court. My best in a day was 778 out of 1000......

hehe.. poor bored you :)

What you needed were some guns, rally cars, speed boats,
fishing gear, women, booze, and a bike when you ran out of
or destroyed all that. ;-)

hippy
"Yeehaw!"

hippy said:
"byron27" <[email protected]
> > > i went there once to visit them, though i dont think i will ever,

> > ever, ever go back there again.
> >
> > Any particular reason?
> >

> well, my dad was actually the CEO of the council and he started getting
> death threats from people in the community, which was a bit full on, so
> they left in quite a hurry.

I can probably guess who was involved..

> I spent a week there in 1995 and after cruising around the town for a
> couple of days i spent the next 5 shooting freethrows at the local
> BBall court. My best in a day was 778 out of 1000......

hehe.. poor bored you :)

What you needed were some guns, rally cars, speed boats,
fishing gear, women, booze, and a bike when you ran out of
or destroyed all that. ;-)

hippy
"Yeehaw!"
guns and fishing gear, that would be fun. so the gun is for the carp in the murray and the fishing gear is for everything else?? ;)

"byron27" <[email protected]
> > hippy
> > What you needed were some guns, rally cars, speed boats,
> > fishing gear, women, booze, and a bike when you ran out of
> > or destroyed all that. ;-)
> >

> guns and fishing gear, that would be fun. so the gun is for the carp
> in the murray and the fishing gear is for everything else?? ;)

I wouldn't waste ammo on carp. Catch. Stab. Throw up the bank.

Apparently there's some big Perch jumping onto hooks at the
moment.. if you wanted to waste some more time there ;-)

hippy

hippy said:
"byron27" <[email protected]
> > hippy
> > What you needed were some guns, rally cars, speed boats,
> > fishing gear, women, booze, and a bike when you ran out of
> > or destroyed all that. ;-)
> >

> guns and fishing gear, that would be fun. so the gun is for the carp
> in the murray and the fishing gear is for everything else?? ;)

I wouldn't waste ammo on carp. Catch. Stab. Throw up the bank.

Apparently there's some big Perch jumping onto hooks at the
moment.. if you wanted to waste some more time there ;-)

hippy
nah mate,
fishing is just fine in WA when i actually pull my finger out and head down the coast. Its abalone season at the moment. time to get the wetsuit and fight the owners of asian supermarkets around town for the little fellas!

"byron27" <[email protected]
> nah mate,
> fishing is just fine in WA when i actually pull my finger out and head
> down the coast. Its abalone season at the moment. time to get the
> wetsuit and fight the owners of asian supermarkets around town for the
> little fellas!

That doesn't really sound like fishing.. but it
does sound like more fun! :)
Is it a snorkel or scuba thing?
I don't really eat unprocessed fish so I only
go fishing when there's other people I can give
my catches to (in exchange for beer of course!).
My brothers are mad keen fishermen - there
was some big evidence of this in the freezer
back home..

hippy

On 2004-11-14, hippy <[email protected]> wrote:
> "byron27" <[email protected]
>> nah mate,
>> fishing is just fine in WA when i actually pull my finger out and head
>> down the coast. Its abalone season at the moment. time to get the
>> wetsuit and fight the owners of asian supermarkets around town for the
>> little fellas!

> That doesn't really sound like fishing.. but it
> does sound like more fun! :)
> Is it a snorkel or scuba thing?

Probably scuba. I haven't yet had the opportunity to go hunting for
scallops or crays with my scuba gear. Looking forward to a trip near
Kangaroo Island next year (January -- my last gasp before I knuckle down
to the serious business of paying off the mortgage. *sob*) I hear
there's quite a few crays out that way. *droooool* Probably should get a
couple of extra sets of gloves to cover the way they tend to get
shredded by the crays. ;)

hippy said:
"byron27" <[email protected]
> nah mate,
> fishing is just fine in WA when i actually pull my finger out and head
> down the coast. Its abalone season at the moment. time to get the
> wetsuit and fight the owners of asian supermarkets around town for the
> little fellas!

That doesn't really sound like fishing.. but it
does sound like more fun! :)
Is it a snorkel or scuba thing?
I don't really eat unprocessed fish so I only
go fishing when there's other people I can give
my catches to (in exchange for beer of course!).
My brothers are mad keen fishermen - there
was some big evidence of this in the freezer
back home..

hippy
no apparatus required, just go out on the reef and rocks up on the northern suburb beaches.
Its standing room only for the 12 hours or so that the season lasts for.
I also enjoy catching fish, but am not much a "natural" fish eater. Too smelly for me.

"byron27" <[email protected]
> no apparatus required, just go out on the reef and rocks up on the
> northern suburb beaches.
> Its standing room only for the 12 hours or so that the season lasts
> for.

12hrs?!?!

hippy

hippy said:
"byron27" <[email protected]
> no apparatus required, just go out on the reef and rocks up on the
> northern suburb beaches.
> Its standing room only for the 12 hours or so that the season lasts
> for.

12hrs?!?!

hippy
sorry, ill clarify it.

The season is only open for about 2 months, and in that time only from 7am -9am on sunday morning. something like that.

"byron27" <[email protected]
> hippy Wrote:
> > "byron27" <[email protected]
> > > no apparatus required, just go out on the reef and rocks up on the
> > > northern suburb beaches.
> > > Its standing room only for the 12 hours or so that the season lasts
> > > for.

> > 12hrs?!?!
> >
> > hippy

> sorry, ill clarify it.
>
> The season is only open for about 2 months, and in that time only from
> 7am -9am on sunday morning. something like that.

That makes a little more sense! :)

hippy
visualising the "beach crush"

byron27 wrote:

> hippy Wrote:
>
>>"byron27" <[email protected]
>>
>>>no apparatus required, just go out on the reef and rocks up on the
>>>northern suburb beaches.
>>>Its standing room only for the 12 hours or so that the season lasts
>>>for.

>>12hrs?!?!
>>
>>hippy

> sorry, ill clarify it.
>
> The season is only open for about 2 months, and in that time only from
> 7am -9am on sunday morning. something like that.

Guns and fishes and local councils and reefs and open seasons and
what-not... I'm kind of glad I forgot about this thread when it stopped
being about Jethro Tull.

:p !

ppp

DRS said:
news:[email protected]
> "fred_kneeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Guns and fishes and local councils and reefs and open seasons and
>> what-not... I'm kind of glad I forgot about this thread when it
>> stopped being about Jethro Tull.

> http://www.surlybikes.com/stuff/pop_jethro.html

I wonder which Quiz Kid thought that one up?

--

A: Top-posters.
Someone who rides a singlespeed and didn't want a great big 15 mm spanner banging around in their back pocket, obviously. You really should widen your cycling horizons.

M "no patience with tool illiterates" H

"mfhor" <[email protected]
> DRS Wrote:
> > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > http://www.surlybikes.com/stuff/pop_jethro.html

> > I wonder which Quiz Kid thought that one up?
> >

> Someone who rides a singlespeed and didn't want a great big 15 mm
> spanner banging around in their back pocket, obviously. You really
> should widen your cycling horizons.

I'd love one. Pity my track bike has a 15mm front
and 16mm rear. Bottle openers should be on EVERY
tool! Screwdriver? Bottle opener. Dishing tool? Bottle
opener. Stapler? Bottle opener. Icing piper? Bottle
opener. HP2500C colour bubblejet? Bottle opener.
Bottle opener? Bottle opener.

hippy
"Bottle openers make the world go 'round"

"mfhor" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> DRS Wrote:
>> "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> "fred_kneeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...
>>>
>>> http://www.surlybikes.com/stuff/pop_jethro.html

>> I wonder which Quiz Kid thought that one up?
>>

> Someone who rides a singlespeed and didn't want a great big 15 mm
> spanner banging around in their back pocket, obviously. You really
> should widen your cycling horizons.
>
> M "no patience with tool illiterates" H

That *WHOOSH* we can all hear is the sound of yet another joke shooting way
over your pin head. Quiz Kid is yet another Jethro Tull song. Do try to
keep up.

--

A: Top-posters.

hippy said:
"mfhor" <[email protected]
> DRS Wrote:
> > "hippy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > http://www.surlybikes.com/stuff/pop_jethro.html

> > I wonder which Quiz Kid thought that one up?
> >

> Someone who rides a singlespeed and didn't want a great big 15 mm
> spanner banging around in their back pocket, obviously. You really
> should widen your cycling horizons.

I'd love one. Pity my track bike has a 15mm front
and 16mm rear. Bottle openers should be on EVERY
tool! Screwdriver? Bottle opener. Dishing tool? Bottle
opener. Stapler? Bottle opener. Icing piper? Bottle
opener. HP2500C colour bubblejet? Bottle opener.
Bottle opener? Bottle opener.

hippy
"Bottle openers make the world go 'round"
tsk, tsk hippy.

quick release is the only way to go with fixies. That "spanner in the backpocket" gig is so 1970's.....