Thick sliced steaks

Food Snob

Guest
I got a great deal on a 6-1/2# striploin today. I'm going to slice it
into 2" thick steaks, apply freshly cracked Tellicherry pepper, and
cook it over a fire of well-seasoned hickory, seared on the outside,
and blue rare in the middle. Thin sliced steak is just plain stupid,
even if you prefer beef medium in the interior. We're going to have it
with that nice, gray French salt. Perhaps a bit of garlic butter.
IMO, the strip steak is the best tasting cut, and I can hardly believe
it was that cheap ($2.98/#!!)
Happy, happy.

--Bryan

On Thu 02 Mar 2006 10:32:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Food Snob?

> I got a great deal on a 6-1/2# striploin today. I'm going to slice it
> into 2" thick steaks, apply freshly cracked Tellicherry pepper, and
> cook it over a fire of well-seasoned hickory, seared on the outside,
> and blue rare in the middle. Thin sliced steak is just plain stupid,
> even if you prefer beef medium in the interior. We're going to have it
> with that nice, gray French salt. Perhaps a bit of garlic butter.
> IMO, the strip steak is the best tasting cut, and I can hardly believe
> it was that cheap ($2.98/#!!)
> Happy, happy.
>
> --Bryan

I hope it's tender. The last time I bought steak at a sale price, it looked
beautiful but was tough as leather. I don't take a chance on steak anymore,
and pay full price at the butcher shop. It's guaranteed.

--
Wayne Boatwright o¿o
____________________

BIOYA

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 02 Mar 2006 10:32:29p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Food
> Snob?
>
>> I got a great deal on a 6-1/2# striploin today. I'm going to slice
>> it into 2" thick steaks, apply freshly cracked Tellicherry pepper,
>> and
>> cook it over a fire of well-seasoned hickory, seared on the outside,
>> and blue rare in the middle. Thin sliced steak is just plain stupid,
>> even if you prefer beef medium in the interior. We're going to have
>> it with that nice, gray French salt. Perhaps a bit of garlic butter.
>> IMO, the strip steak is the best tasting cut, and I can hardly
>> believe
>> it was that cheap ($2.98/#!!)
>> Happy, happy.
>>
>> --Bryan

> I hope it's tender. The last time I bought steak at a sale price, it
> looked beautiful but was tough as leather. I don't take a chance on
> steak anymore, and pay full price at the butcher shop. It's
> guaranteed.

I agree, Wayne. Great looking steak is usually tough as nails. It
absolutely *must* have some fat on it in order to be tender and taste good.
And some of the best steak I've ever had was thin cut "breakfast" steak.

Jill

Food Snob wrote:
> I'm going to slice it
> into 2" thick steaks, apply freshly cracked Tellicherry pepper, and

sounds nice, ever use whipped herb butter as a sauce
shallots are good in the sauce

Food Snob wrote:
> I got a great deal on a 6-1/2# striploin today. I'm going to slice it
> into 2" thick steaks, apply freshly cracked Tellicherry pepper, and
> cook it over a fire of well-seasoned hickory, seared on the outside,
> and blue rare in the middle. Thin sliced steak is just plain stupid,
> even if you prefer beef medium in the interior. We're going to have it
> with that nice, gray French salt. Perhaps a bit of garlic butter.
> IMO, the strip steak is the best tasting cut, and I can hardly believe
> it was that cheap ($2.98/#!!)

I have a very ugly suspicion that you might have gotten some
select-grade meat at that price. If not, you're very fortunate.

Pastorio