Thief foiled, bike reunited with owner

_ wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 06:04:37 -0700, David Lloyd wrote:
>
>> On 17 Oct, 12:19, _ <[email protected]>
>> wrote:
>>> I beleive it was a rule that the lock should bring the combined weight of
>>> bike+lock up to 40 pounds.

>> Interesting proposal. The more lightweight a bike, the more robust a
>> lock you require. For my 20lb road bike, I'd need a 20lb lock.
>> However, for a full-sus downhill machine (which are more of a pikey
>> magnet) there would be less room for manouver.
>>

> It dates from the time when all Real Bicycles had skinny tyres and drop
> bars.

Don't they still?

Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:

> David Lloyd said the following on 17/10/2007 09:47:
>
> > We don't know the quality or price of the lock in this particular
> > incident, but I think I can stand by the view that 5 quid locks will
> > be neither use nor ornament. I think it best that shops should only
> > stock locks that would at least act as a deterrent.

> So the lock that came free with one of the MTB mags last month probably
> isn't up to much then? :)

heh it wouldn't delay any one more than a few secs, but then that lock
will do for the bike i useing it on as the bike is normally in sight and
is of little value.

ie stop someone just walking/riding off with it, but wouldn't last a
moment if some tryed. and it bundles up nicely into the saddle bag.

> Wasn't it a rule of thumb that you should spend at least 10% of the
> bikes value on a lock?

not sure how you ever get over then expensive parts though, ie someone
taking the parts off etc.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 03:51:15 -0700, David Lloyd
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I'd throw a tantrum if I thought my parents were so cheap as to by my
>bike from Argos.

Yebbut, if they bought me a bike from Argos as in
<http://www.argoscycles.com/> I'd be well chuffed.

Spookily, on their history page they say

"1979 - Frames were built for many noted riders, and in the trade,
principally Dave Lloyd."

--

Tim

On 18 Oct, 10:16, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 03:51:15 -0700, David Lloyd
>
> <[email protected]> wrote:
> >I'd throw a tantrum if I thought my parents were so cheap as to by my
> >bike from Argos.

> Yebbut, if they bought me a bike from Argos as in
> <http://www.argoscycles.com/> I'd be well chuffed.
>
> Spookily, on their history page they say
>
> "1979 - Frames were built for many noted riders, and in the trade,
> principally Dave Lloyd."

Unfortunately for me, he is D.C.Lloyd and fast, I'm D.A.Lloyd and
not. :(

Wouldn't it have been funny if he had intended to get a bike for the
25 championship from Argos cycles and ended up with a BSO from Argos.
It wouldn't happen as I doubt he would have had his parents buying for
him.

David A Lloyd (as if any of you would be confused :) )

Roger Merriman wrote:
> Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:

Wasn't it a rule of thumb that you should spend at least 10% of the
>> bikes value on a lock?

> not sure how you ever get over then expensive parts though, ie someone
> taking the parts off etc.

You could try security skewers and bolts e.g. www.pitlock.de This may
protect a good proportion of your components, however in the end if a
chav can't nick it, he will break it.

The other option is to always lock your bike up next to a more nickable
bike.

Martin Dann <[email protected]> wrote:

> Roger Merriman wrote:
> > Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:

> Wasn't it a rule of thumb that you should spend at least 10% of the
> >> bikes value on a lock?

> > not sure how you ever get over then expensive parts though, ie someone
> > taking the parts off etc.

> You could try security skewers and bolts e.g. www.pitlock.de This may
> protect a good proportion of your components, however in the end if a
> chav can't nick it, he will break it.

yes is that.

> The other option is to always lock your bike up next to a more nickable
> bike.

luckly most of the time certinaly times when i attaully stop, i'm on a
cheap hybid which is unlikely to be any ones must nick bike.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Roger Merriman wrote:
> > Paul Boyd <usenet.is.worse@plusnet> wrote:

> Wasn't it a rule of thumb that you should spend at least 10% of the
> >> bikes value on a lock?

> > not sure how you ever get over then expensive parts though, ie someone
> > taking the parts off etc.

> You could try security skewers and bolts e.g. www.pitlock.de This may
> protect a good proportion of your components, however in the end if a
> chav can't nick it, he will break it.
>
> The other option is to always lock your bike up next to a more nickable
> bike.

Or do what I do for those sorts of journeys - get a Brompton and take it
with you. No lock needed.

--
Tony

" I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong."
Bertrand Russell

Martin Dann <[email protected]> writes:

> Roger Merriman wrote:
>
> You could try security skewers and bolts

Wouldn't a good kicking be more appropriate ?

Jon