Thief proofing handlebars

Discussion in 'Commuting and Road Safety' started by mark1954, Oct 30, 2005.

1. mark1954

mark1954 New Member

I just got a new bike with Ultegra brake/shifter levers (which I love). Now I'm all paranoid about locking it up for fear of a thief with an allen key undoing the handlebar stem, cutting the cables and making off with levers, handlebars, bell, lights. Anyone had this happen or am I truly off the deep end? I remember seeing a security allen screw that had a raised pin in the centre of the socket that required a special key to remove it.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Mark
    Toronto

Tags:

2. Xboy

Xboy New Member

I dont lock up my handle bars, but i dont have any good stuff there. But an idea is if you dont mind put duct tape or paint were you can to hide it. I personaly wouldnt do this but i like my stuff looking good. :eek:

3. bmph8ter

bmph8ter New Member

You can get high security bolts (allen or torx head with a post in the center are the most common), but they are tough to find in the metric sizes your bike would require.

Much easier (and cheaper) is just blocking access to the allen bolts you have. Fill the hole with silicone or hot glue. You can also fill it with super glue and then drop a ball bearing in like in the attached picture. Any of this stuff will be easy to get out with a pick or awl, but that's stuff the average bike thief doesn't carry. Maybe this helps, and enjoy your new bike!!

4. bokes

bokes New Member

There's a German company called Pitlock that makes a locking headset adjustment bolt. However, you won't find it in the USA and i'm a little peeved that the company won't take a credit card for an online purchase. instead they require a bank transfer ($ + hassle). how lame is that.

5. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

Just strip out the screw heads with a drill. You can then use a straight flute extractor to get them in and out (www.mcmaster.com Page 2673)

6. Urbanbike

Urbanbike New Member

I've had success using PC-11. It's a 2-part waterproof epoxy. Comes in two film canisters. Mix a bit from A and bit from B and you get a hard finished product that can be taken out with a dremel rotary tool.

7. aa9t8

aa9t8 New Member

if it is not under my butt or on my shoulder or i can not see it locked up i do not leave it