Thieves!

Tim Hall

Guest
Getting back on my trusty steed after some late Christmas shopping, I
noiticed the lack of Cateye cyclecomputer. Some thieving gits had
nicked it. Abstrads!

Tim

Frankie

Guest
On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:45:36 +0000, Tim Hall
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Getting back on my trusty steed after some late Christmas shopping, I
>noiticed the lack of Cateye cyclecomputer. Some thieving gits had
>nicked it.

Well, it was a bit silly of you to leave it on the bike, don't you
think?

>Abstrads!

Don't do that. This isn't uk.rec.sheds - we're not all sad in this
newsgroup.

Mark Thompson

Guest
> Getting back on my trusty steed after some late Christmas shopping, I
> noiticed the lack of Cateye cyclecomputer. Some thieving gits had
> nicked it. Abstrads!

Bstrds. Still, they could've taken the bike and left the computer, count
yourself lucky :) Hopefully they'll be impressed with your max speed and
distance cycled before they realise it's useless 'cos they only nicked half
of it. Twunts.

nobody760

Guest
The sad fact is that if can be stolen it will be stolen. What is not
bolted down goes - doesn't matter if its of any use or value to the
aforementioned scum it CAN be stolen - therefore it must.

A while back someone said he had a pair of clips nicked. I left my old
hack bike firmly locked to a Stand in town. Everything was bolted
down, nothing save a very old knackered, frayed bungee that was on the
back rack. Nobody is gonna nick that I thought - wrong!

elyob

Guest
"nobody760" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> The sad fact is that if can be stolen it will be stolen. What is not
> bolted down goes - doesn't matter if its of any use or value to the
> aforementioned scum it CAN be stolen - therefore it must.
>
> A while back someone said he had a pair of clips nicked. I left my old
> hack bike firmly locked to a Stand in town. Everything was bolted
> down, nothing save a very old knackered, frayed bungee that was on the
> back rack. Nobody is gonna nick that I thought - wrong!

Another cycling thing in the Evening Standard last night ... "how can I stop
people stealing my mudguards". It seems that profit is no longer the
motivation for thieves.

Chris Malcolm

Guest
nobody760 <[email protected]> wrote:
> The sad fact is that if can be stolen it will be stolen. What is not
> bolted down goes - doesn't matter if its of any use or value to the
> aforementioned scum it CAN be stolen - therefore it must.

> A while back someone said he had a pair of clips nicked. I left my old
> hack bike firmly locked to a Stand in town. Everything was bolted
> down, nothing save a very old knackered, frayed bungee that was on the
> back rack. Nobody is gonna nick that I thought - wrong!

I've had one of those useless front white reflectors stolen by a thief
who didn't have a tool with which to undo the retaining bolt, so
snapped it off, thus rendering it useless. This was in the early days
of LED bike lights when they were small and feeble and some looked a
bit like front white reflectors, so the thief may have thought he was
stealing an LED light. I've had a bicycle bell stolen by someone with
the tools (screwdriver) to detach it from the handlebars. And I once
stopped someone strenuously sawing with a horribly blunt pocket knife
through the tough cord with which I'd tied a battered old plastic milk
crate to my rear carrier. These can be found abandoned all over the
city, but this idiot, who was about 25 years old, was struggling to
steal mine, in broad daylight, in a busy street.

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]