Thieves!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Tim Hall, Dec 23, 2005.

  1. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    Getting back on my trusty steed after some late Christmas shopping, I
    noiticed the lack of Cateye cyclecomputer. Some thieving gits had
    nicked it. Abstrads!

    Tim

    Tags:

  2. Frankie

    Frankie Guest

    On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 00:45:36 +0000, Tim Hall
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Getting back on my trusty steed after some late Christmas shopping, I
    >noiticed the lack of Cateye cyclecomputer. Some thieving gits had
    >nicked it.

    Well, it was a bit silly of you to leave it on the bike, don't you
    think?

    >Abstrads!

    Don't do that. This isn't uk.rec.sheds - we're not all sad in this
    newsgroup.

  3. > Getting back on my trusty steed after some late Christmas shopping, I
    > noiticed the lack of Cateye cyclecomputer. Some thieving gits had
    > nicked it. Abstrads!

    Bstrds. Still, they could've taken the bike and left the computer, count
    yourself lucky :) Hopefully they'll be impressed with your max speed and
    distance cycled before they realise it's useless 'cos they only nicked half
    of it. Twunts.

  4. nobody760

    nobody760 Guest

    The sad fact is that if can be stolen it will be stolen. What is not
    bolted down goes - doesn't matter if its of any use or value to the
    aforementioned scum it CAN be stolen - therefore it must.

    A while back someone said he had a pair of clips nicked. I left my old
    hack bike firmly locked to a Stand in town. Everything was bolted
    down, nothing save a very old knackered, frayed bungee that was on the
    back rack. Nobody is gonna nick that I thought - wrong!

  5. elyob

    elyob Guest

    "nobody760" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > The sad fact is that if can be stolen it will be stolen. What is not
    > bolted down goes - doesn't matter if its of any use or value to the
    > aforementioned scum it CAN be stolen - therefore it must.
    >
    > A while back someone said he had a pair of clips nicked. I left my old
    > hack bike firmly locked to a Stand in town. Everything was bolted
    > down, nothing save a very old knackered, frayed bungee that was on the
    > back rack. Nobody is gonna nick that I thought - wrong!

    Another cycling thing in the Evening Standard last night ... "how can I stop
    people stealing my mudguards". It seems that profit is no longer the
    motivation for thieves.

  6. nobody760 <[email protected]> wrote:
    > The sad fact is that if can be stolen it will be stolen. What is not
    > bolted down goes - doesn't matter if its of any use or value to the
    > aforementioned scum it CAN be stolen - therefore it must.

    > A while back someone said he had a pair of clips nicked. I left my old
    > hack bike firmly locked to a Stand in town. Everything was bolted
    > down, nothing save a very old knackered, frayed bungee that was on the
    > back rack. Nobody is gonna nick that I thought - wrong!

    I've had one of those useless front white reflectors stolen by a thief
    who didn't have a tool with which to undo the retaining bolt, so
    snapped it off, thus rendering it useless. This was in the early days
    of LED bike lights when they were small and feeble and some looked a
    bit like front white reflectors, so the thief may have thought he was
    stealing an LED light. I've had a bicycle bell stolen by someone with
    the tools (screwdriver) to detach it from the handlebars. And I once
    stopped someone strenuously sawing with a horribly blunt pocket knife
    through the tough cord with which I'd tied a battered old plastic milk
    crate to my rear carrier. These can be found abandoned all over the
    city, but this idiot, who was about 25 years old, was struggling to
    steal mine, in broad daylight, in a busy street.

    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]