Thighs bumping against stomach?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chris Hansen, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. Chris Hansen

    Chris Hansen Guest

    Hello,

    When you're riding a road bike is it common for the thighs to bump against the stomach? I don't have
    washboard abs but I'm not fat or anything. I'm 6'1" and 183 pounds.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. On 4 Mar 2004 04:08:55 -0800, [email protected] (Chris Hansen)
    wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >When you're riding a road bike is it common for the thighs to bump against the stomach? I don't
    >have washboard abs but I'm not fat or anything. I'm 6'1" and 183 pounds.

    This happens when I'm on the drops. but I have a friggin' huge gut--- 5'11" and 235 lbs (or 178cm
    and 108 kg), so I might just be in trouble anyway.

    -Luigi

  3. David Kerber

    David Kerber Guest

    > Hello,
    >
    > When you're riding a road bike is it common for the thighs to bump against the stomach? I don't
    > have washboard abs but I'm not fat or anything. I'm 6'1" and 183 pounds.

    I'm 6'0", 181, and I wouldn't expect that while on the tops, but it does happen occasionally when
    I'm in the drops or on the aero bars. Just doing some sit-ups (crunches) and/or leg-lifts to tighten
    up your abdominal muscles should take care of this, since you obviously don't have a big layer of
    fat on top of them.

    --
    Remove the ns_ from if replying by e-mail (but keep posts in the newsgroups if possible).

  4. Rivermist

    Rivermist Guest

    It might also depend on the height of the seat relative to the handlebars. If you are bent way over
    you are closer to your knees.

    Mine don't touch (since I lost some weight) "Chris Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > When you're riding a road bike is it common for the thighs to bump against the stomach? I don't
    > have washboard abs but I'm not fat or anything. I'm 6'1" and 183 pounds.
    >
    > Thanks.

  5. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    >On 4 Mar 2004 04:08:55 -0800, [email protected] (Chris Hansen)
    >wrote:
    >>When you're riding a road bike is it common for the thighs to bump against the stomach? I don't
    >>have washboard abs but I'm not fat or anything. I'm 6'1" and 183 pounds.

    Yes, it's common. Raising your handlebar will help if it's severe enough to be a problem.

    On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 08:10:13 -0500, Luigi de Guzman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >This happens when I'm on the drops. but I have a friggin' huge gut--- 5'11" and 235 lbs (or 178cm
    >and 108 kg), so I might just be in trouble anyway.

    That's not a "friggin' huge gut", it's an overengineered aerobelly. Quite like the one I've got.
    --
    Rick Onanian

  6. Chris Hansen <[email protected]> wrote:
    > When you're riding a road bike is it common for the thighs to bump against the stomach? I don't
    > have washboard abs but I'm not fat or anything. I'm 6'1" and 183 pounds.

    i'm 6'2" and 178. on my touring bike it's not even close but on my track bike which has a pretty
    steep drop (about 4" from seat tip to handlebar *) i'd say barely and then only from the drops. but
    not enough where i notice
    it (ihad to check just now). i have a gut .. but not much of one. it's not always my gut i'm
    hitting, anyway, but on an aerobar my lower ribcage.

    what does your bike look like?

    * http://fixedgeargallery.com/reuteler.htm
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  7. Bruce Frech

    Bruce Frech Guest

    That just means you've reached the physical limits of how far you can get your back lower. To get
    more aero you would rotate forward the entire contact system.

    When I ride on the drops my thighs will touch my ribs. Your ribs don't change much with minor weight
    changes, so that is also a limiter.

    Bruce

    "Chris Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hello,
    >
    > When you're riding a road bike is it common for the thighs to bump against the stomach? I don't
    > have washboard abs but I'm not fat or anything. I'm 6'1" and 183 pounds.
    >
    > Thanks.

  8. Chalo

    Chalo Guest

    [email protected] (Chris Hansen) wrote:

    > When you're riding a road bike is it common for the thighs to bump against the stomach? I don't
    > have washboard abs but I'm not fat or anything. I'm 6'1" and 183 pounds.

    Raise your handlebars, silly. Any lower than your saddle is pointless unless you're time trialing.

    Chalo Colina

  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    wrote in message <[email protected]>:

    >When you're riding a road bike is it common for the thighs
    >to bump against the stomach? I don't have washboard abs but
    >I'm not fat or anything. I'm 6'1" and 183 pounds.

    I'm the same size and it doesn't happen to me - maybe your
    bars are too far forward? Other geometry issue?

    --
    Guy
    ===