thin tyre poor steering

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by goldenchicken, Dec 26, 2004.

  1. On my new muni (Koxx frame + 26" Alex D32 rim) I have mounted a light
    (850 g) WTB Timberwolf 2.7 foldable tyre. When riding it on low pressure
    it is very heavy to make turns. When inflated so the tyre is hard I can
    steer all right but at the slightest obstacle the muni bounces me off.

    Have I bought the wrong tyre? Would a tyre with thicker walls be easier
    to steer at low pressure? Or is it a matter of practice?

    --
    goldenchicken - .
    goldenchicken's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8149

  2. total uni

    total uni Guest

  3. DigitalDave

    DigitalDave Guest

    With high tire pressure (like mine)

    You will learn to use more leg muscles to absorb bumps.
    (having your weight on the seat does the 'bump off')

    Merry Xmas to all... and Happy New Year

    --
    DigitalDave - scabless

    'nf7-s ~ xp2400mobile'
    (http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=21988)
    '19,774 3dm01' (http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=8304204)

    my will to live was stronger than my will to die - iggy pop
    what doesn't kill you, only makes you stronger - i dunno :(
    DigitalDave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8003

  4. Suggestions:
    1. Lower the tire pressure to a desirable level.
    2. Ride in a tight figure-eight for two hours.
    3. When riding bumpy terrain, think "rolling bounce."

    I am using a 2.3 tire with medium pressure (enough to keep the rim from
    bottoming out). The tire is springy and would bounce me into the air. I
    learned to "roll" landings and continue pedalling quickly after hitting
    bumps. I spend more time "airborne" now but it is fun. Ultimately, with
    some timing, I would rather have the thin tire (than a Gazz) in a race.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  5. lleberg

    lleberg Guest

    It is harder to steer with a fat tire and/or low pressure, more rubber
    to the ground, making more friction for you to overcome.
    THe good thing about it is that due to the larger (and softer) air
    chamber, it absorbs bumps with more ease.

    Anyway, i go 4.5 bar om my studded 1.75 nokian xtrack tyre, and i'm all
    right! It just takes practice!

    --
    lleberg - Level 3 unicyclist.

    I <3 my unicycle!
    lleberg's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8272

  6. My initial thought was that the thin, soft side walls of the foldable
    tyre made turning tough and ineffective when riding with low pressure.

    I guess more training will help keeping me in the saddle but riding a
    tight figure-eight on soft soil for two hours - that would kill me. I
    certainly need to improve my rolling hops and the rolling bounce concept
    was new to me.

    Thank you guys
    and a Happy Muni Year

    --

  7. goldenchicken wrote:
    > *I guess more training will help keeping me in the saddle but riding a
    > tight figure-eight on soft soil for two hours - that would kill me.*

    Then do it in pieces. The point is to practice turning (tightly) in both
    directions. You will get better at it quickly - and be able to notice
    the difference along the way.

    I learned about the rolling bounce "the hard way." I was riding down a
    difficult hill that everyone takes slowly - and no one ever fell badly
    (only lots of UPDs). I came off a 1ยด ledge, and landed on packed dirt -
    no problem. Then immediately, the tire sprang up with what seemed like
    more energy than I put into the tire. I was airborne. I did not even
    really try to catch myself because I couldnt believe I was falling - no
    one had fallen before. I ended up with several scabs (shoulder, wrist,
    both knees, ego)- and I still have traces of them. That day, I learned
    to pedal quickly from that bounce and it is a lot of fun. It is similiar
    to being able to continue pedaling when the wheel slips a 1/4 rotation.

    --
    ChangingLINKS.com - member

    Drew Brown
    http://www.ChangingLINKS.com
    ChangingLINKS.com's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5468

  8. Tim

    Tim Guest

    goldenchicken wrote:
    > *My initial thought was that the thin, soft side walls of the foldable
    > tyre made turning tough and ineffective when riding with low
    > pressure.*

    Thinner side walls will make it a little harder to turn with low
    pressure. It feels like the unicycle is heavier then normal and is
    riding through thick mud. With thinner side walls you kinda need more
    pressure to keep the maneuverability but because it does have thinner
    side walls you can keep much the same bounce with more pressure.

    --
    Tim - Jelly Bean Eater

    Tim 'Braun' (http://www.tim.com.mk/izdanija/1/189.jpg)

    Jagur's my main man.