Things about Bike Equipment that annoy you.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Little Lance, Jun 6, 2006.

1. xxamr_corpxx

xxamr_corpxx New Member

How touring bikes have died off.

2. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

One thing that annoys me... The fact that high end equipment is so much more expensive for no real reason.

If the manufacturers were to tool up for a single type of road/mountain gear (Dura-Ace as the Shimano example) they could easily make high end components affordable.

I would call a person a liar to their face if they were to claim that they couldn't make DA quality components for a retail cost of less than $200 for the whole group if they used the economies of scale. For this discussion, whole group means shifters, brakes (calipers and levers), BB, cranks, hubs, chain and cassettes...

The prices they charge are only in place due to marketing that has enabled them to sell a group for hundreds of dollars more because it weighs a few grams less.

Add to this, an extra vote for an earlier message which is also a marketing issue. I am annoyed by something that is labeled as cycling automatically going up in price.

3. jamesdemien

jamesdemien New Member

while I agree that my 2001 XT rear derailleur looks weighs and functions exactly like a 2006 deore derailleur that costs 40 bucks I think the R&D and technology that goes into these things plays big in the pricing. There is also of course the exclusivity of having the new cool $hit...

The thing that annoys me the most is the super cheap stuff. I volunteer at Bicycle Works and we fix peoples bikes for free and sell used bikes. When something from Walmart comes in everything sucks. While I realize not everyone can afford a LeMond with Ultegra I wish more people would buy a 10 year old Trek with Shimano 600 components on it for the same price...

Basically the $100 department store bike that somehow shimano agreed to make worthless parts for and allow their logo to be plastered on is what annoys me about bike equipment. I want people to ride and a 50+ pound bike is not really a motivation. It really sucks because most shops that are worth a damn will charge $60 to tune the $100 bike put together by someone who's getting paid minimum wage to assemble (not tune) 20 bikes a day...

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

And what if you have a shaven head, like me?

5. alienator

The most annoying thing is the people whining about prices. There's always something cheaper to buy. If you think Dura Ace or Record is too expensive, quit crying, wipe up your tears, and buy something else. The whiners have no clue as to the fundamentals of economics. Instead of getting a clue, they instead put on a mantle of entitlement. Too bad. So sad.

6. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Even my chapstick is carbon fiber.

7. jamesdemien

jamesdemien New Member

hehe... This is actually pretty cool and carbon fiber...
    [​IMG]

8. artmichalek

artmichalek New Member

9. Sanulaw

Sanulaw New Member

Girls that ride faster than me...although the view, at times, can be spectacular!

10. dgregory57

dgregory57 New Member

The R&D is the only reason I gave credit for being able to sell every group as the highest available component level for $200 retail... and still make a profit. Otherwise I would go for $150 as a good selling price.

For argument's sake (arbitrary numbers to make the math easy):

I will say that $100,000,000 should be spent on R&D each year for Shimano to remain competitive, and that 2,000,000 groups of Shimano components (all levels) are sold per year.

If they are all DA level, then $50 of each group would need to be rolled into R&D. (assuming that the "lower" groups are using technology from current or former "higher" groups, so the cost there is virtually zero in the current marketing scheme)

If 5% are DA, then $1,000 of each group would need to be rolled into R&D.

In these purely fictional numbers, the DA users would be paying $950 more than they would pay if Shimano made a different marketing decisions. True, the current low end users may pay a few dollars more, but the cost of R&D would be shared by everyone...

I do not begrudge a company's right to make their money in whichever way they see fit. Also, the above can be changed to reflect the technology of Campagnolo, SRAM or any other group set manufacturer and be just as valid. I am not picking on Shimano.

Heck, if Shimano, or Campagnolo or SRAM, or ??? were to make the marketing decision "We make and sell one group, and it is Dura-Ace, or Record or ??? and we do it by creating large numbers of high quality components and take advantage of the high volume and unified research" I would buy the group tomorrow.

Sora or Tiagra is as much as I will ever need. I am more than happy with what all the manufacturers are producing as entry level components (other than perhaps the department store items)... but it annoys me that purely marketing decisions are keeping better components out of my hands.

11. alienator

Guess what, Sunshine: the upper end, pricey stuff is marketed to the people that will pay for it. If you want it, get a better job, get more of an education so you can get a better job, save your money, get a loan, sell some unneccessary stuff, or summat. If Sora or Tiagra are all you need, why piss and moan about what you don't need?

12. lwedge

lwedge New Member

Boy, I would love to see my wife's face if I walked into the shower with my helmet.... She would be cracking up sooooo bad, she would have the camera out and on the phone to mom, sister and neighbors in 2 minutes.
    All the while I would be telling her "Honey! This is SCIENCE!". :D

"Re: Things about Bike Equipment that annoy you."

We can fly to the moon but we still don't have tires and tubes that don't flat.

lw

13. Blademun

Blademun New Member

Why are you being so combative? Is life not hard enough without someone coming along and rubbing your face in the dirt? Hes obviously educated enough to come up with a good idea that economically speaking, is feasable. I took economics in College and I understand what hes saying, hes right in a sense. If a company dedicated itself to making a high quality product, at large volume, they could sell it at a much better price then if they divided their resources and sold each item at lower volumes.

However, their profit margins wouldn't be as nice, because, they would not be providing goods at every price along the..erm..market line. (Yes, thats not the correct terminology, forgive me, economics is definately not my major, I just did well in that class..) That is to say, that people who want to spend less, won't have that option, and people who want to spend more, also won't have that option. Thus Shimano would lose some of its customer base but the middle margin would be happier..but happier doesn't mean better profits..

Anyway, please, he is just proposing a theory, its a nice one to think about at that. Even if its just talk, talk is where everything starts. If we just sat around and 'accepted' the way things are and didn't 'piss and moan' there would be no progress in this world. In fact, America wouldn't even exist. Afterall, the American revolution grew out of a bunch of people "pissing and moaning" about taxes.

Err, and as far as being on topic..aside from prices, I also hate creaking and such noises. A good drivetrain is a silent one..and its so hard to keep them that way..Oh Yeah! And I HATE flat tires! lol

14. smithsr

smithsr New Member

- Glass on road, cars that speed up to pass only to slow and cut you off on a corner, price of bike clothes, more flexibility and choices in cassette makeup, that fact the bike bug digs in hard and its hard not to stop tweaking.:)

15. stybirgli

stybirgli New Member

bonjour tout le monde. Nice to meet you all.

16. BikeyGuy

BikeyGuy New Member

The price of good bicycle road tires.
    You can easily spend $100.00 for 2.
    They'll last maybe 3,000.
    Compare that to dollar per mile with a car.
    That's kinda crazy. Keeping in mind the bicycle typically is a one passenger machine.
    Other than that, it's all good.

Good luck with your project.

17. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Roger that.

But more seriously, I hate non-maintainable cartridge bearings. I just replaced a cartridge BB in my vintage steed with a slightly used Campy Super Record unit, and I'm totally blown away by how stiff and smooth it is.

18. slowbutnotdead

slowbutnotdead New Member

the way that I resemble an overstuffed sausage when in cycling clothes

19. PeterF

PeterF New Member

The obsessive need for carbon. Why do we need carbon cranksets. What do they really do that a nice alloy crankset won't? Plus you need to be carefull with torque and glued in bushings are just begging to come lose after time. And very expensive to boot.

20. oldbobcat

oldbobcat Well-Known Member

Carbon composite frames, yes. Carbon fork spacers, get outta hear!