Things cyclists shouldn't say

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
I just read a comment by another cyclist on a group chat about disc brakes.

1) She said, "IF YOU AREN'T RIDING DISC 'BREAKS', YOU AREN'T RIDING HARD ENOUGH!".

First of all, I did a ride with 12,000 ft of climbing in 72 miles without disc brakes. I don't think this lady has even come close after reviewing her ride reports.

2) On a cycling forum few years back, another gal said,"If you don't crash once a week, you aren't riding hard enough!". It was offroad riding related, mountain bikes. I saw the pics of her territory, nice smooth forest like trails, if you fall, you roll in the grass and soft mud. I bet she is lucky if she finds a 2% grade. My territory is hard packed red clay with ruts and 10- 20% grades throughout. Hitting hard packed ground at 30+ mph is not good.:eek:

I did crash 2 times in 10 years. Both times pretty serious. Last time, separated shoulder. Can't afford to crash every week. I don't think anybody can so get off it with your nice little soft ground pillow talk.:rolleyes:

3) Another cyclist saw a pic of me riding on the trail in a tank top in one of my ride reports. She said, " A REAL CYCLIST DOES NOT WEAR A TANK TOP ON BIKE RIDES, A REAL CYCLIST WILL WEAR A JERSEY!".

OK, I did a timed event wearing a tank top. 100 miles with 10,000 ft of climbing. Her ride report was reading a book riding a trainer by the fireplace averaging 22 MPH...........wearing a jersey! :D

FTR, I have never called or considered myself a real cyclist. I do it for the fun and recreation aspects of it all!

Reactions: tdcadillac
I was on a ride when I saw a female out for a run coming in the opposite direction. As I passed her she waved and I yelled " look, big fat assed cow". She kept going but glanced back and flipped me off. That's when she ran into the fat assed cow.

I just read a comment by another cyclist on a group chat about disc brakes.

1) She said, "IF YOU AREN'T RIDING DISC 'BREAKS', YOU AREN'T RIDING HARD ENOUGH!".

First of all, I did a ride with 12,000 ft of climbing in 72 miles without disc brakes. I don't think this lady has even come close after reviewing her ride reports.

2) On a cycling forum few years back, another gal said,"If you don't crash once a week, you aren't riding hard enough!". It was offroad riding related, mountain bikes. I saw the pics of her territory, nice smooth forest like trails, if you fall, you roll in the grass and soft mud. I bet she is lucky if she finds a 2% grade. My territory is hard packed red clay with ruts and 10- 20% grades throughout. Hitting hard packed ground at 30+ mph is not good.:eek:

I did crash 2 times in 10 years. Both times pretty serious. Last time, separated shoulder. Can't afford to crash every week. I don't think anybody can so get off it with your nice little soft ground pillow talk.:rolleyes:

3) Another cyclist saw a pic of me riding on the trail in a tank top in one of my ride reports. She said, " A REAL CYCLIST DOES NOT WEAR A TANK TOP ON BIKE RIDES, A REAL CYCLIST WILL WEAR A JERSEY!".

OK, I did a timed event wearing a tank top. 100 miles with 10,000 ft of climbing. Her ride report was reading a book riding a trainer by the fireplace averaging 22 MPH...........wearing a jersey! :D

FTR, I have never called or considered myself a real cyclist. I do it for the fun and recreation aspects of it all!
It’s a sadly common and neither nice nor helpful trait among people to be overly keen on dividing humanity into ”us” and ”them”, with ”us” meaning ”we who do things properly and are a bit better in every aspect because of that” and ”them” being the ones who are in the wrong and a bit overall less important because of that.
It’s just like the silly derogatory statements made about e-bike riding and riders.
As long as your mode and manner of riding doesn’t have a (credible) influence on me and my riding, I really don’t care how you do it.
It’s a pi$$ing contest with only the shallowest of victories. There’s always someone out there willing to sink more of their disposable income into the latest gear, or riding more, or risking more or whatever. And unless you’re racing in truly famous events, it doesn’t matter. Ride as you see fit, as long as it hasn’t got an undue influence on other road users.
I might - possibly - try to offer a comment if I think You can benefit from it. But criticising someone for not adhering to My sense of ride preferences, never.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
It’s a sadly common and neither nice nor helpful trait among people to be overly keen on dividing humanity into ”us” and ”them”, with ”us” meaning ”we who do things properly and are a bit better in every aspect because of that” and ”them” being the ones who are in the wrong and a bit overall less important because of that.
It’s just like the silly derogatory statements made about e-bike riding and riders.
As long as your mode and manner of riding doesn’t have a (credible) influence on me and my riding, I really don’t care how you do it.
It’s a pi$$ing contest with only the shallowest of victories. There’s always someone out there willing to sink more of their disposable income into the latest gear, or riding more, or risking more or whatever. And unless you’re racing in truly famous events, it doesn’t matter. Ride as you see fit, as long as it hasn’t got an undue influence on other road users.
I might - possibly - try to offer a comment if I think You can benefit from it. But criticising someone for not adhering to My sense of ride preferences, never.

Yeah, I don't get that! If someone is riding and ebike, good for them. Enjoy the great outdoors!

But when an ebike goes flying past me and shouts, you should have gotten one of these! I don't understand that. Maybe for them they feel better passing someone under the power of a motor, no comprende!

Also, I ride my bike for enjoyment. I ride hard for my own fitness and health benefits. At times I ride easier so that my wife can keep up. I do what I have to do to enjoy my bike and the benefits.

Never have I told a utility rider, commuter, or slower rider that they are missing something. Heck, I get on my MTB at times and just ride in a circle just because, and I have a good time.

So why some tour types/utility riders tell us roadies to slow down because we are missing all the fun and views. i don't understand that either. That is a big misconception on their part. Heck, if I ride at a faster pace then them, I definitely see things around me, enjoy the sights, and have a great time. It's fun!

Never could I tell who is having more fun at the time I pass another rider. Commuter, utility, roadie, beach cruiser, I would never claim that my ride was more fun. One never knows!

Yes, I have friends that buy fancy equipment, update to the latest bike or wheelset every couple of years. I'm guessing because they have the money to do so. But me, heck I still ride my 1998 Cannondale and funny thing is, they are suggesting that I upgrade to faster bikes and wheelsets WHILE RIDING MY WHEEL HA HA!

If you want to spend your money on the latest, good for you. But me, I like to keep something till it is no more. That is just me! If I were to ride the Tour de France, yes I would want every advantage. But us, I have fun riding what I have and what I build (my own wheels). That is actually more of a thrill for me than buying wheels. But that is just me.

I was on a ride when I saw a female out for a run coming in the opposite direction. As I passed her she waved and I yelled " look, big fat assed cow". She kept going but glanced back and flipped me off. That's when she ran into the fat assed cow.

A liberal would have gone back to check to see if the cow was ok. A conservative would have gone back to check to see if the girl was ok.

I always figured that anyone who cares enough about what equipment or clothing I use that they'd actually criticize it, has got much bigger issues than I do. They should probably be looking for a therapist.

It's an entirely different matter to ask why I use or wear what I do, which is an expression of curiosity. Whether my choices make sense for them is another matter entirely.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I always figured that anyone who cares enough about what equipment or clothing I use that they'd actually criticize it, has got much bigger issues than I do. They should probably be looking for a therapist.

Exactly! I remember a female forum member who is supposedly a big time century rider, said it is simply impossible for a cyclist to ride wearing a cotton t shirt. Had to be sweat wicking material Under Armor type stuff.

But yet here I am on a 114 mile/ 12,000 ft elevation gain timed event wearing a long sleeve cotton t shirt with a jersey over it and I survived. :p

The pumpkin guy in orange.

BA1.jpg

Reactions: steve