Things not to forget when cooking

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Curly Sue, Mar 6, 2004.

  1. Curly Sue

    Curly Sue Guest

    - when making ramen, don't drain like spaghetti. You need
    the hot water for the soup.

    - when making pancakes, put oil on the grill before pouring
    on the pancake batter.

    I've been distracted this week!

  2. Yeff

    Yeff Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:41:39 GMT, Curly Sue wrote:

    > - when making ramen, don't drain like spaghetti. You need
    > the hot water for the soup.
    >
    > - when making pancakes, put oil on the grill before
    > pouring on the pancake batter.
    >
    > I've been distracted this week!

    Take the plastic *off* the frozen pizza.

    -Jeff B. (who messed that one up during a bout with insomnia
    once) yeff at erols dot com

  3. Stocksrus®

    Stocksrus® Guest

    Yeff <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:41:39 GMT, Curly Sue wrote:
    >
    >> - when making ramen, don't drain like spaghetti. You need
    >> the hot water for the soup.
    >>
    >> - when making pancakes, put oil on the grill before
    >> pouring on the pancake batter.
    >>
    >> I've been distracted this week!
    >
    > Take the plastic *off* the frozen pizza.
    >
    > -Jeff B. (who messed that one up during a bout with
    > insomnia once) yeff at erols dot com

    Pre heat the right oven.

    --
    StocksRus®

  4. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    StocksRus® wrote:
    > Yeff <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:41:39 GMT, Curly Sue wrote:
    >>
    >>> - when making ramen, don't drain like spaghetti. You
    >>> need the hot water for the soup.
    >>>
    >>> - when making pancakes, put oil on the grill before
    >>> pouring on the pancake batter.
    >>>
    >>> I've been distracted this week!
    >>
    >> Take the plastic *off* the frozen pizza.
    >>
    >> -Jeff B. (who messed that one up during a bout with
    >> insomnia once) yeff at erols dot com
    >>

    > Pre heat the right oven.

    Oh behalf of my Sis (she knows who she is) remove the
    plastic from the canned ham prior to baking.

    Jill

  5. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    jmcquown wrote:

    > Oh behalf of my Sis (she knows who she is) remove the
    > plastic from the canned ham prior to baking.

    Hey! It was invisible! and why bother with the can and the
    key if it's in plastic anyway!

    nancy

  6. Mark Thorson

    Mark Thorson Guest

    Curly Sue wrote:

    > - when making ramen, don't drain like spaghetti. You need
    > the hot water for the soup.
    >
    > - when making pancakes, put oil on the grill before
    > pouring on the pancake batter.
    >
    > I've been distracted this week!

    When doing the laundry, put the coins in the same machine
    the clothes went into. Imagine my surprise when I started to
    unload the machine and all the clothes were dry.

    (Why the heck is the coin slide for the adjacent machine so
    close -- they could put it in the center or something.)

  7. Jmcquown

    Jmcquown Guest

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > jmcquown wrote:
    >
    >> Oh behalf of my Sis (she knows who she is) remove the
    >> plastic from the canned ham prior to baking.
    >
    > Hey! It was invisible! and why bother with the can and the
    > key if it's in plastic anyway!
    >
    > nancy

    True... the first time I took canned crab meat out of the
    can I was like... hmm, this is funny. Didn't realize it was
    paper. DUH (laugh)

  8. Frogleg

    Frogleg Guest

    On Sat, 06 Mar 2004 16:41:39 GMT, [email protected] (Curly
    Sue) wrote:

    >- when making ramen, don't drain like spaghetti. You need
    > the hot water for the soup.

    I don't make ramen into soup. I boil the noodles in plain
    water adding (or not) emblishments, drain briefly, dump
    into a bowl, sprinkle about half the 'seasoning' packet
    over, and mix well.

    Oh, and when you have a salad-spinner with drain holes
    in the outside container, spin it in the sink, not on
    the counter.

  9. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    Don't forget to turn off the broccoli! Burnt broccoli is not
    something you wanna mess with.

    Best regards, Bob

  10. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    [email protected] (Curly Sue) deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > - when making ramen, don't drain like spaghetti. You need
    > the hot water for the soup.
    >
    > - when making pancakes, put oil on the grill before
    > pouring on the pancake batter.
    >
    > I've been distracted this week!
    >
    > Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it
    > myself!

    One should not place the dirty laundry in the refrigerator
    while pulling out eggs for breakfast.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  11. Meow

    Meow Guest

    While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, zxcvbob of said:

    >Don't forget to turn off the broccoli! Burnt broccoli is
    >not something you wanna mess with.

    Don't put some cold soup on a hot plate for reheating, close
    the kitchen-door and begin to read something interesting,
    forget about the soup, and then go shopping. Once soup has
    been reduced to coal, there's *nothing* you can do to save
    the pot; plus it takes hours to get the ventilation, and the
    entire kitchen, to stop smelling so badly.
    --
    Nikitta a.a. #1759 Apatriot(No, not apricot)#18 ICQ#
    251532856 Unreferenced footnotes: http://www.nut.house.cx/cgi-

  12. Zxcvbob

    Zxcvbob Guest

    MEow wrote:

    > While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, zxcvbob
    > of said:
    >

    >>Don't forget to turn off the broccoli! Burnt broccoli is
    >>not something you wanna mess with.
    >>

    > Don't put some cold soup on a hot plate for reheating,
    > close the kitchen-door and begin to read something
    > interesting, forget about the soup, and then go
    > shopping. Once soup has been reduced to coal, there's
    > *nothing* you can do to save the pot; plus it takes
    > hours to get the ventilation, and the entire kitchen, to
    > stop smelling so badly.

    If it's a stainless steel pot, lye and warm water will save
    it. Don't ask me how I know.

    -Bob

  13. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > StocksRus® wrote:
    >> Yeff <[email protected]> wrote in
    >> news:[email protected]:

    >>> Take the plastic *off* the frozen pizza.
    >>>
    >>> -Jeff B. (who messed that one up during a bout with
    >>> insomnia once) yeff at erols dot com
    >>>

    >> Pre heat the right oven.
    >
    > Oh behalf of my Sis (she knows who she is) remove the
    > plastic from the canned ham prior to baking.
    >
    > Jill

    Some people forget the little baggies inside the poultry.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.

  14. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    "jmcquown" <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Nancy Young wrote:
    >> jmcquown wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oh behalf of my Sis (she knows who she is) remove the
    >>> plastic from the canned ham prior to baking.
    >>
    >> Hey! It was invisible! and why bother with the can and
    >> the key if it's in plastic anyway!
    >>
    >> nancy
    >
    > True... the first time I took canned crab meat out of the
    > can I was like... hmm, this is funny. Didn't realize it
    > was paper. DUH (laugh)

    LOL... Don't forget to turn on the outdoor grill. Yep, I
    just couldn't figure out why nothing was cooking.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  15. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    MEow <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]x.com:

    > While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, zxcvbob
    > of said:
    >

    >>Don't forget to turn off the broccoli! Burnt broccoli is
    >>not something you wanna mess with.
    >>
    > Don't put some cold soup on a hot plate for reheating,
    > close the kitchen-door and begin to read something
    > interesting, forget about the soup, and then go
    > shopping. Once soup has been reduced to coal, there's
    > *nothing* you can do to save the pot; plus it takes
    > hours to get the ventilation, and the entire kitchen, to
    > stop smelling so badly.

    Don't forget to take last night's dripping broiler pan out
    of the oven before preheating it. I did this once and went
    to take a shower. I was living at home and in high school.
    Mom was way pissed about having to paint the kitchen and
    replace the drapes. 2 weeks after the remodel she did the
    same thing and burned the kitchen down. It wasn't all bad,
    she got a new kitchen and never again was a broiler pan
    left dirty.

    Michael
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  16. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:

    > - when making ramen, don't drain like spaghetti. You need
    > the hot water for the soup.
    >
    > - when making pancakes, put oil on the grill before
    > pouring on the pancake batter.
    >
    > I've been distracted this week!
    >
    > Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it
    > myself!

    Use the proper tools. Don't use the two-prong cooking fork
    as an awl or other device to hack away at a petrified powder
    product. Picture is on my webpage. Let the record reflect
    that I've thrown away the petrified caramel powder and have
    purchased a brand new bottle of Kitchen Bouquet.
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-5-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got

  17. In article <[email protected]>, Dog3
    <[email protected];not> wrote:

    > MEow <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    > > While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, zxcvbob
    > > of said:
    > >

    > >>Don't forget to turn off the broccoli! Burnt broccoli is
    > >>not something you wanna mess with.
    > >>
    > > Don't put some cold soup on a hot plate for reheating,
    > > close the kitchen-door and begin to read something
    > > interesting, forget about the soup, and then go
    > > shopping. Once soup has been reduced to coal, there's
    > > *nothing* you can do to save the pot; plus it takes
    > > hours to get the ventilation, and the entire kitchen, to
    > > stop smelling so badly.
    >
    > Don't forget to take last night's dripping broiler pan out
    > of the oven before preheating it. I did this once and went
    > to take a shower. I was living at home and in high school.
    > Mom was way pissed about having to paint the kitchen and
    > replace the drapes. 2 weeks after the remodel she did the
    > same thing and burned the kitchen down. It wasn't all bad,
    > she got a new kitchen and never again was a broiler pan
    > left dirty.
    >
    > Michael

    Can I borrow that pan?
    --
    -Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 3-5-04.
    Rec.food.cooking's Preserved Fruit Administrator (I've got
    the button to prove it!) "Always in a jam, never in a stew;
    sometimes in a pickle."

  18. Dog3

    Dog3 Guest

    Melba's Jammin' <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    news:[email protected]:

    > In article
    > <[email protected]>, Dog3
    > <[email protected];not> wrote:
    >
    >> MEow <[email protected]> deliciously posted in
    >> news:[email protected]:
    >>
    >> > While frolicking around in rec.food.cooking, zxcvbob of

    >> > Don't put some cold soup on a hot plate for reheating,
    >> > close the kitchen-door and begin to read something
    >> > interesting, forget about the soup, and then go
    >> > shopping. Once soup has been reduced to coal, there's
    >> > *nothing* you can do to save the pot; plus it takes
    >> > hours to get the ventilation, and the entire kitchen,
    >> > to stop smelling so badly.
    >>
    >> Don't forget to take last night's dripping broiler pan
    >> out of the oven before preheating it. I did this once and
    >> went to take a shower. I was living at home and in high
    >> school. Mom was way pissed about having to paint the
    >> kitchen and replace the drapes. 2 weeks after the remodel
    >> she did the same thing and burned the kitchen down. It
    >> wasn't all bad, she got a new kitchen and never again was
    >> a broiler pan left dirty.
    >>
    >> Michael
    >

    > Can I borrow that pan?

    No. I'm about to use it in this house myself.

    Michael <- *really* wants a new kitchen with 2 ovens
    --
    Deathbed statement...

    "Codeine . . . bourbon." ~~Tallulah Bankhead, actress, d.
    December 12, 1968

  19. Steve Calvin

    Steve Calvin Guest

    Melba's Jammin' wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] (Curly Sue) wrote:
    >

    >>- when making ramen, don't drain like spaghetti. You need
    >> the hot water for the soup.
    >>
    >>- when making pancakes, put oil on the grill before
    >> pouring on the pancake batter.
    >>
    >>I've been distracted this week!
    >>
    >>Sue(tm) Lead me not into temptation... I can find it
    >>myself!

    Never leave the kitchen, even for two minutes, with 4
    shell steaks on the counter until you have the Siberian
    Husky trained.

    --
    Steve

  20. Bob

    Bob Guest

    hahabogus wrote:
    > "jmcquown" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > news:[email protected]:
    >
    >> StocksRus® wrote:
    >>> Yeff <[email protected]> wrote in
    >>> news:[email protected]:

    >>> Pre heat the right oven.
    >>
    >> Oh behalf of my Sis (she knows who she is) remove the
    >> plastic from the canned ham prior to baking.
    >>
    >> Jill
    >>

    > Some people forget the little baggies inside the poultry.

    Huh? Not me, never...(the paper ones don't really mess up
    the chicken, but those plastic ones do)