Things that **** me off about some Christians...

davidmc said:
You are precisely right Carerra ;) No, seriously, that won't happen over here. We have too many educated people in our universities & research facilities.
They are being systematically picked off one by one.

Apologies for my prolonged and unexplained absence.

MJtje said:
To get back to the question: jehova people who come at youre door and ask if they can come in and tell why jesus is soooooooo nice and why we should believe.....

Just slam the door right back at them and they will never come back:D
Just blast em with silly string or old paint in a water gun.

A few days ago I fell off my bike... a group of christians "spreading god's word" came over and told me that "god could help me up" while they could not be bothered to lift my bike off my bleeding form.

I don't think I've ever screamed at anyone louder in my life.

I think I might have added a few new obscenities to their vocabulary. :)

Darjevon said:

A few days ago I fell off my bike... a group of christians "spreading god's word" came over and told me that "god could help me up" while they could not be bothered to lift my bike off my bleeding form.

ha ha. yeah, that would **** me off to no end. they did serve one purpose: must have made you forget about your pain while you were bellowing at them :)

Darjevon said:

Zapper has fallen to last place. He will be devoid of life, but it is a hit list, and not just people you hate.
He may find some redemption in that thought.

jhuskey said:
Zapper has fallen to last place. He will be devoid of life, but it is a hit list, and not just people you hate.
He may find some redemption in that thought.
You have a keen eye. I didn't notice that Darjevon had edited his sig. Maybe, as you say, he has had a, dare I say it; change of heart inre: Zapper. :confused:

Darjevon said:

Darjevon, can you elaborate on this? I wonder what sect of christianity they were? That is a horrible story, for people (christians) who are supposed to be helping people. "God could help you up..." without physically doing anything to help is quite terrible. :(

christians or people that believe in heaven are kidding themselves we all live we all die then we decompose. simple. if youre religous ur scared of death.

macca1234 said:
christians or people that believe in heaven are kidding themselves we all live we all die then we decompose. simple. if youre religous ur scared of death.

If you are anything but a damn fool, you are scared or at least reluctant to meet death.

jhuskey said:
If you are anything but a damn fool, you are scared or at least reluctant to meet death.

But you are going to die. That's an irrevocable fact. There's no way out. Period. End of story. Close the book. You're not getting out of it. So how do you deal with the fact that your phyisical body is not immortal? Food for the worms. Part of the natural cycle of decomposition and renewal. Is this all there is? Doesn't something down deep inside rebel against that notion? And if this isn't all there is... what remains?

Trekker2017 said:
But you are going to die. That's an irrevocable fact. There's no way out. Period. End of story. Close the book. You're not getting out of it. So how do you deal with the fact that your phyisical body is not immortal? Food for the worms. Part of the natural cycle of decomposition and renewal. Is this all there is? Doesn't something down deep inside rebel against that notion? And if this isn't all there is... what remains?

Despite the high cost of living,it remains to be very popular.
Not to get into a theology debate or life after death scenario ,but Einstein stated that energy cannot be destroyed. He was a pretty smart guy.
I will not debate the issue whether self awareness still exists after death and I am in no hurry to find out nor have I spoken to anyone that has.
As I get older I find that the prospect of death is less appealing,but I know it is enevitable.
Then again I may decide to live forever....So far So good!

macca1234 said:
where is the evidence of this? can you prove that there is no afterlife? do you know anyone who has died and lived to tell the tale?

i guess we'll just have to wait and see, but just incase there IS a heaven and hell, where would you rather be?

personally, i am not all that religious but i am not scared of death. At least, i dont have any life threatening diseases yet such as cancer so i dont know what it is like to come to terms with my own mortality. Maybe when i am older and weaker i'll begin to fear death.
If i die and there is no afterlife, then fair do, i'll make good fertiliser for the grass, thats good enough for me. Its always been a goal of mine to pass through the 4 stomachs of a cow anyway...so death will have a positive effect for me if god doesnt show up.

MountainPro said:
If i die and there is no afterlife, then fair do, i'll make good fertiliser for the grass, thats good enough for me. Its always been a goal of mine to pass through the 4 stomachs of a cow anyway...so death will have a positive effect for me if god doesnt show up.

But you just described an "afterlife" as fertilizer then as cow dung which is fertilizer for the grass and guess what... you become cow dung again... then grass... ad infinitum. Why is the thouht of a sentient afterlife so unsettling? Someone believes in an afterlife and hords attack, insult and generally vilify him. Yet, if he's right, they, the vilifiers, are in a world of trouble. If he's wrong then he's merely stuck in the grass cum dung cycle of existence and who cares?

Trekker2017 said:
But you just described an "afterlife" as fertilizer then as cow dung which is fertilizer for the grass and guess what... you become cow dung again... then grass... ad infinitum. Why is the thouht of a sentient afterlife so unsettling? Someone believes in an afterlife and hords attack, insult and generally vilify him. Yet, if he's right, they, the vilifiers, are in a world of trouble. If he's wrong then he's merely stuck in the grass cum dung cycle of existence and who cares?
I live according to the "live as if" dictum BUT I don't feel the need to join a church or, for that matter; vote Republican to abide by it. If it gives you solace then I say: "splendid", only don't belittle everyone else who doesn't cater to say, for example, evangelical Christianity. As far as grass is concerned, I love the stuff ;) The more the merrier :) On another note, ever read Whitman's "Leaves of Grass" :confused: Very good stuff ;)

Trekker2017 said:

Let's say you die and enter a realm of pure conscious existance where physical manifestations such as time are meaingless.
Since the physical human trait of rationalization no longer exists to partition the mind you become your elemental self.
A single thought process can last for eternity a moment of ecstacy (heaven) or a moment of misery(hell).
All bets are off as far as a reference to the reality your former existance.
You are no longer bound by the physical universe you once knew and are subject to new unknow rules.
This new universe is as large or as small as our true individual essence will allow.

Of course I am just rambling and in my new universe I can actually type.

It's understood by academics that there are cycles of time where people turn from rationality to religion or even religious fundamentalism. Rational religion were you're allowed to question is O.K. but fundamentalism is very bad.
Fundamentalists tend to take the view there is nothing humanly possible you can do to solve global problems except put total faith in God.
The trend towards fundamentalism lately is a bit worrying. It's sweeping through the U.S.A. like never before. I was amazed to hear on ABC News, they're handing out bibles during baseball games or hiring huge stadia to hold mass Jesus rallies.
Meantime, over here in the U.K. Islam is growing like never before and it's common to see people in supermarkets who show only their eyes through two tiny peep holes. I'll bet those folks could rob a store with ease and never be stopped or detected.

Carrera said:
It's understood by academics that there are cycles of time where people turn from rationality to religion or even religious fundamentalism. Rational religion were you're allowed to question is O.K. but fundamentalism is very bad.
Fundamentalists tend to take the view there is nothing humanly possible you can do to solve global problems except put total faith in God.
The trend towards fundamentalism lately is a bit worrying. It's sweeping through the U.S.A. like never before. I was amazed to hear on ABC News, they're handing out bibles during baseball games or hiring huge stadia to hold mass Jesus rallies.
Meantime, over here in the U.K. Islam is growing like never before and it's common to see people in supermarkets who show only their eyes through two tiny peep holes. I'll bet those folks could rob a store with ease and never be stopped or detected.

This is hardly the first time that this trend has swept through the United States. It has happened several times in each century since the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock and the Arabella put into Boston Harbor (or there abouts). This is merely the first time this has happened in our lifetime. Comparing this rise in fundamentalism to the Great Awakenings of the past, I would have to say that the pendulum is still in mid swing. We have yet to see the most extreme manefestations of American Fundalmentalism.

Carrera said:
It is not my life, but HIS......I live to serve HIM, I am a Sinner and undeserving of HIS love, but He loves me anyways.....For this I give thanks everyday.....If this makes me a fundamentalist, then I wear it proudly....Mike

jhuskey said:

Death is not scary.....Not knowing is what scares you......I choose to Believe in MY Lord Jesus,who for those who believe in HIM have everlasting life. So death will come when He chooses......NO WORRIES...mike

P.S. One of us is going to be right and I'm betting on HIM......

I don't have any problems over your being a Christian, a Moslem or a Krishna devotee. I have no problems with thinking religion. I only think there are problems when believers are taught not to question but blindly accept the Bible.
On another site, I was discussing gnostic influence with a Christian and this was interesting. You see, the gnostics claimed there was another side to Jesus and the first Christians were very divided over what Christianity actually was. What we know today as catholicism e.t.c. is basically the dominant form of Christianity that won out. But the gnostics had other interpretations so there is actually a gospel of Thomas and Mary Magdalene that the Roman Church discarded. Here is an extract from Mary Magdalene's gnostic gospel:
"Matter gave birth to a passion that has no equal, which proceeded from something contrary to nature. Then there arises a disturbance in its whole body."

crithater said:
It is not my life, but HIS......I live to serve HIM, I am a Sinner and undeserving of HIS love, but He loves me anyways.....For this I give thanks everyday.....If this makes me a fundamentalist, then I wear it proudly....Mike

My own theory is that you had an age of reason and enlightenment from around 400 B.C. to 200 A.D. But by 400 A.D., Christianity merged with the State and, of course, politics and religion don't mix. Extreme Christians began to outlaw philosophical belief systems, burn books and try and force people to convert. Then we entered the Middle Ages and became like fundamentalist states.
There was a feeling that logic and philosophy had failed to solve global problems so people turned to religion and fundamentalism.
Personally I think religion is O.K. if you analyse it and are prepared to develop your beliefs as you go along. But blind belief is a bad thing since we have brains to be used for a reason.

Trekker2017 said:
This is hardly the first time that this trend has swept through the United States. It has happened several times in each century since the Pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock and the Arabella put into Boston Harbor (or there abouts). This is merely the first time this has happened in our lifetime. Comparing this rise in fundamentalism to the Great Awakenings of the past, I would have to say that the pendulum is still in mid swing. We have yet to see the most extreme manefestations of American Fundalmentalism.