Things that **** me off about some Christians...

Darjevon said:
Better than "hippies?"
Its a tough call. Both are highly contentious. The more contentious the better. Long live Christian hippies :rolleyes:

davidmc said:
I believe that their argument is that the evangelicals (holy-roller's) pay tax & education is payed for w/ such tax hence, the curriculum should reflect thier views. Conversely,there is a place where they can get plenty o' that tripe for free, 7 days/week-church :)

You're probably correct Fred C - the tax aspect is probably their real motivation.

Mason - Dixon line excepted, I think that these people are morons.

Re Rafiki, is he a former cycling buddy of yours ?

davidmc said:
Welcome to the soapbox Rafiki. FredC says you're ok, well then; that's good enough for me.
how'd you guys decide if I was ok for the soapbox?
p.s. who let Jaguar in ?

davidmc said:
Welcome to the soapbox Rafiki. FredC says you're ok, well then; that's good enough for me.
Thanks davidmc... and thanks FredC for the 'reference'! I'm flattered!!!

Rafiki said:
Thanks davidmc... and thanks FredC for the 'reference'! I'm flattered!!!
No problems Rafiki, I see your registration date is 2003. I've just been speaking to Legro for the last hour. He's all in also. Must post up on XES.

Darjevon said:
p.s. who let Jaguar in ?
Your inclusion goes w/o saying. Your post's are brilliant, in my humble opinion ;) P.S.-I don't know how Jaguar "slipped under the wire", so to speak :rolleyes: He knows alot about airplanes, no :confused: or am I confusing him w/ someone else?

The noisy Christians do not like the theory of evolution because it is a theory, so they say. Then let them suffer when they become ill for they forfeit the fruits of germ theory.

davidmc said:
Your inclusion goes w/o saying. Your post's are brilliant, in my humble opinion ;) P.S.-I don't know how Jaguar "slipped under the wire", so to speak :rolleyes: He knows alot about airplanes, no :confused: or am I confusing him w/ someone else?
You are correct David...I am the airplane guy, however, I hardly think that I slipped under the wire...Just like Zapp and Colorado I am that constant thorn that challenges most of the liberal left wingers that post here. We are a minority and everyone loves to hate us and I LOVE being the underdog!!!

Darjevon said:
p.s. who let Jaguar in ?
This is exactly what people do when they loose arguments...attack the source...Thank you Darjevon for showing your true colors after only a few posts...!!!

skippygirl said:
The noisy Christians do not like the theory of evolution because it is a theory, so they say. Then let them suffer when they become ill for they forfeit the fruits of germ theory.
Huh? I got the Evolution part but what is "fruits of germ theory."????

jaguar75 said:
You are correct David...I am the airplane guy, however, I hardly think that I slipped under the wire...Just like Zapp and Colorado I am that constant thorn that challenges most of the liberal left wingers that post here. We are a minority and everyone loves to hate us and I LOVE being the underdog!!!
I may not agree w/ you guys most of the time because I'm a "free-thinker", not bound by convention, but I still appreciate different viewpoints that initiate discussion. I may not agree w/ the outcomes you reach but I have been enlightened by some of the methodology.

skippygirl said:
Germ theory is the study of the of disease caused by microbes
Ok Skippy...your going to have to give a little more insight...I know you are new to the Forum and one-liners only work if you have a fundamental knowledge of the topic...My curiosity is peaked as I love to debate religion and I have never heard of this before...please, type a little! :)

Ok then, time to plow new ground. We left wing "hippies" might shoot off our mouths a little often, but throughout my schooling many attempts were made to "save" me, many of which were threats on my life in disguise.
This really ****** me off...

jaguar75 said:
This is exactly what people do when they loose arguments...attack the source...Thank you Darjevon for showing your true colors after only a few posts...!!!
If im not mistaken, you seem to be doing the exact same thing.

jaguar75 said:
Ok Skippy...your going to have to give a little more insight...I know you are new to the Forum and one-liners only work if you have a fundamental knowledge of the topic...My curiosity is peaked as I love to debate religion and I have never heard of this before...please, type a little! :)

Evolution is a theory
Relativity is a theory
Quantum phisics is a theory
The above are observations of sets of conditions from which we draw conclusions. Many of these conclusions are so "true" that we are able to act as though they are laws. Where would the space programs be of it were not for theories in physics. Because "theories" are being implemented doesn't stop the launching of rockets, space flight, etc. For that matter we teach these subjects in public schools with not a single protest.
As to germ theory, the conclusions we draw help to keep people, animals and plants healthy. We have found successful ways to battle infections by microbes that invade us everyday. Would a god fearing creationist reject a dose of antibiotic for their child? Would they insist it is not important to wash their hands after changing a baby's diaper? Perhaps they bypass the rabies shot for there beloved dog. All these perscribed actions are based on a theory but I do not hear any debate here.
It is only when we come around to evolution that "theory" takes on the characteristic of being so unreliable that it must be purged from our schools.

Jag I hope that clears up my point :)

skippygirl said:
Evolution is a theory
Relativity is a theory
Quantum phisics is a theory
The above are observations of sets of conditions from which we draw conclusions. Many of these conclusions are so "true" that we are able to act as though they are laws. Where would the space programs be of it were not for theories in physics. Because "theories" are being implemented doesn't stop the launching of rockets, space flight, etc. For that matter we teach these subjects in public schools with not a single protest.
As to germ theory, the conclusions we draw help to keep people, animals and plants healthy. We have found successful ways to battle infections by microbes that invade us everyday. Would a god fearing creationist reject a dose of antibiotic for their child? Would they insist it is not important to wash their hands after changing a baby's diaper? Perhaps they bypass the rabies shot for there beloved dog. All these perscribed actions are based on a theory but I do not hear any debate here.
It is only when we come around to evolution that "theory" takes on the characteristic of being so unreliable that it must be purged from our schools.

Jag I hope that clears up my point :)
Very well said...But, damn, I can not debate you because I agree with everything you have said. Especially about the space program...During Gemini, Mercury, and Apollo most of the engineers were "biting" their knuckles during every launch. The guys that strapped themselves into those rockets truly were brave and without fear.

As for the Christians...I agree...most people, including myself, sometimes struggle with thier beliefs. I am agnostic but there are times when I get to thinking, usually after a few cocktails, what if I am wrong and believe the wrong thing...Then I get my senses back and know that it is more important to be convicted, not closed minded, in your beliefs because if you are a god fearing man/woman and when you are standing before the big man, you will be doing so by yourself to atone for your life and no one elses...

my 2 cents! :)

jaguar75 said:
Very well said...But, damn, I can not debate you because I agree with everything you have said. Especially about the space program...During Gemini, Mercury, and Apollo most of the engineers were "biting" their knuckles during every launch. The guys that strapped themselves into those rockets truly were brave and without fear.

As for the Christians...I agree...most people, including myself, sometimes struggle with thier beliefs. I am agnostic but there are times when I get to thinking, usually after a few cocktails, what if I am wrong and believe the wrong thing...Then I get my senses back and know that it is more important to be convicted, not closed minded, in your beliefs because if you are a god fearing man/woman and when you are standing before the big man, you will be doing so by yourself to atone for your life and no one elses...

my 2 cents! :)

When I ponder the premises of the dominant monotheistic religions I am appalled that thinking people actually put stock in the stuff. It’s the worst form of gambling. If they bet their souls on Christianity then they have to decide Protestant or Catholic. After deciding between those two there are more sects to choose from that believe they are the bearers of the Truth. Of course there is nondenominationality for those too spineless to commit. My sentiment: If one belief system in the supernatural could be wrong then they are all wrong.

I have also concluded that deity worship is nothing but ego worship. Gods are given emotions and personalities that are identical to that of humans. I would like to think that a god would be well above us. But the religious folks have that covered too: He made us in his image. How convenient.

I must confess I am an Atheist. I find comfort in the fact that nothing happens to me for some cosmic reason. The events in my life are explained by statistical probabilities. I know that there are a huge number of variables affecting my world at any given moment that create situations from the most mundane to the most profound. No hocus pocus.

Thus I want no supernatural garbage in our schools, in our government nor determining our laws.

skippygirl said:
When I ponder the premises of the dominant monotheistic religions I am appalled that thinking people actually put stock in the stuff. It’s the worst form of gambling. If they bet their souls on Christianity then they have to decide Protestant or Catholic. After deciding between those two there are more sects to choose from that believe they are the bearers of the Truth. Of course there is nondenominationality for those too spineless to commit. My sentiment: If one belief system in the supernatural could be wrong then they are all wrong.

I have also concluded that deity worship is nothing but ego worship. Gods are given emotions and personalities that are identical to that of humans. I would like to think that a god would be well above us. But the religious folks have that covered too: He made us in his image. How convenient.

I must confess I am an Atheist. I find comfort in the fact that nothing happens to me for some cosmic reason. The events in my life are explained by statistical probabilities. I know that there are a huge number of variables affecting my world at any given moment that create situations from the most mundane to the most profound. No hocus pocus.

Thus I want no supernatural garbage in our schools, in our government nor determining our laws.
Gee...do you feel strongly about this topic...I would never have guessed!!! :rolleyes:
You wrote your last post with a lot of anger, I could almost feel it jumping out of my screen...
You sound very educated on the subject, what do you do for a living?

Of course there is nondenominationality for those too spineless to commit.
So are you saying that I am spineless? I am a very educated man and love astronomy and love to read about the mysteries of the universe, however, to me, underneath all of the beautiful images I have seen and under all of the scientific explenations there has to be something greater. I live my life with my heart as my guide and my brain as my reason, I could not go through life always searching for the answers, there just has to be some mystery left to interpretation...give me the answers when I die. Having said all of that, I do not subscribe to any religion created by man to serve man becasue they are corrupt, self-serving entities, I choose to believe that there is a god underneath all of the beauty and mystery that surrounds us because it just doesn't make sense for the universe to be a coincidence. :)