Things that piss me off about some Christians...

Discussion in 'Your Bloody Soap Box' started by Darjevon, May 4, 2005.

1. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

No, I grew up in Cambridge, UK.

2. davidmc

davidmc New Member

You "lucky devil". The cradle of fecking civilization (knowledge), no less ;)

3. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

Yeh I used to love it there... There was this place the "Rainbow Cafe" which specialized in cooking with chickpeas (garbanzo beans to you "yanks") which I used to love... at the age of 3 months. Yeh, that's rite, I ate solid food at three months old. (for some reason I consider this an accomplishment)

Sadly, the Rainbow Cafe was replaced with a disgusting Russian bakery which does not even meet local health standards. I wonder if they've replaced it yet. :( :confused:

4. davidmc

davidmc New Member

You havn't graduated Zapper up to :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: yet :confused:

5. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

I might sometime... but i'm a li'l lazy.

6. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

the tumbleweed rolls by in the dust... :(

7. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

Then you are a moron. Even the bible says it; you should not point out the glint in another's eye when you have a beam in your own, or sumthin like that, I dunno. [genesis 2:14] :D

So, we are converging on the ~ 2.5 mil. muslim fundamentalists (estimating) in a foreign country before we can even eliminate the 10-25 million polygamist mormon freaks in our own. That's a good plan, not quite.:mad:

8. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

Too bbNads :D : you are now a registered troll.

9. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I ate garbanzos in Spain. They're like huge beans, correct? In Russia, they have something called Puishki I used to eat. Very sugary.

10. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

they have a texture that is difficult to describe; its a bit like sinking a tooth into a ball of flour.

11. EoinC

EoinC New Member

powdery, yet resilient. Similar to dried cockroach head, but with a nicer taste (IMHO).

12. Darjevon

Darjevon New Member

basically the same as lowfat\diet chocolate... :rolleyes:

13. EoinC

EoinC New Member

Christian Garbonzo Beans taste better than Atheist Garbonzo Beans (just a vain attempt to bring the thread back).

14. davidmc

davidmc New Member

You know, I am a member of "The few, the proud, the athiests". Heard Gingrich, on c-span, adressing the "under god" clause (or whatever you want to refer to it as) today. Made me quite angry. He indicated that 91% of the population believes in one diety or another so he believes the courts should leave it alone. I happen to disagree w/ him. The prepositional phrase ;) in question was coined in the 50's to counteract the "red scare", no :confused: The evangelical conservative spin meister's would have everyone believe otherwise. The saying is only @ 50 yrs. old. I say "throw it on the bone-pile" so as to relegate it to the "dust-bin of history". :mad: :D

15. EoinC

EoinC New Member

David, can you please fill we-the-outsiders in on this debate? I, am bereft of information. I remember back in the 70's that the USA seemed to almost authortively disparage atheism. Is it still so? In Indonesia, atheism is basically illegal under the Pancacilla - It can be any God, but you must believe in a God. I don't think it is enforced, or even noticed but, as far as I am aware, it is still part of their constitution (Someone correct me if I am wrong).
    Is there any requirement for swearing upon a "Holy" book in the Courts of USA? Is there an oath for becoming a new citizen of the USA, and does it include any reference to religion? I'm asking these questions because I don't know.

16. DiabloScott

DiabloScott New Member

Atheism is not illegal in USA. References to god in oaths and other such requirements have gradually been phased out but may remain in some counties - courts are granted a lot of latitude in this matter but a witness in court could always ask for the secular version of the oath. Religious persecution against us heretics continues though.

17. merrickster

merrickster New Member

You seem to be appealing to logic to support your augment that the beliefs of Christianity cannot be true. So lets analysis the positions of a Christian and an Atheist to see whether logically the Christian view of the world or an Atheist view is the more reasoned. You have used a rather simplified argument so I will attempt to respond in like manner.

Although this statement is a gross oversimplification, to Christians, at death a person will either end up in heaven or hell.

Now as a Christian if I live my life holding true to this belief, what have I lost? Sure I go to church now and then but that doesn’t take long. I might try to love my neighbour as myself and treat other people with consideration and respect, because that is Christian belief, but that does not hurt me and sometimes it makes another’s life a bit better. Because of my Christian belief I might stop and think twice before I cause an action that may hurt me or another, such as cheating another person etc..

At the end of the day if I am right in believing in Christ and following the Christian religion I expect I will go to heaven and all will be well. If I am wrong, and I have been believing a lie all my life, what have I lost, nothing that I can see. I will end up in the same place as everybody else and along the way I may have led a little better life.

On the other had if the Atheist is right what has he gained? Nothing again, as he will end up in the same place as everybody else no matter whether the person believes in Christ or not.

ON THE OTHER HAND, if the Atheist is wrong and the Christian is right, the Atheist has really mucked up his or her life because the Christian will be in heaven and the Atheist will be in hell and given a choice most people choose the former.

If a person is given a choice and thinks about it logically they will choose the Christian path every time. So be careful when you appeal to logical because one’s reason and logic are not abandoned when one believes in Christ.

18. davidmc

davidmc New Member

All of those things you mention are, I believe, pretty much ceremonial "hoolaboo" now. Many of the founders of this country were "diest's", more of a "nature" oriented belief system:

"Deism is a belief in God based on Reason, Experience and Nature (nature of the universe) rather than the divine revelations and holy texts of revealed religions. Essentially, through the use of Reason, God’s existence is revealed by the observation of nature and our own personal experiences. For the Deist, the order and complexity found in nature coupled with our rational experiences of nature leads to a belief in God."

Around 1/2 of the voting public, in this country, from the 1960's onward; has been marching steadily backwards. You can see it by the inroduction of creationism into the curriculum of schools in, more than a few, southern states. I believe it is a defense mechanism, not grounded in law, that believers invoke as the courts restrict observations of mostly christian ceremonies due to thier violation of rights of non-christians. I say-"more power to the court's" [w/ the caveat that they be empowered only when they are "liberal leaning" (read-"logical" ;) )]
    The Republicans love these fight's, that thier base brings up, such as -gay marriage, flag burning, under god screed, ect...because it distracts from the repub's primary objective of dismantling the gov't w/ the exception of the military industrial machine & police forces to guard thier toys :rolleyes: (wealth) :mad:

19. davidmc

davidmc New Member

I'd rather "reign" in hell than "serve" in heaven :D

20. Bikerman2004

Bikerman2004 New Member

Careful what you wish for.