Things to do on your trainer

limerickman said:
I have the old turbo trainer - no fancy links to TV screens or suchlike.
Just a metal frame with a fitted roller for the backwheel.
Nothing else.

I rarely use the trainer - as i prefer cycling on the road.
Unless it is snowing (and that may happen once every couple of years) I cycle on the road.

For those who do use trainers - do they work?
What I mean is - do they work to the extent that you can gain race (competitive) fitness??

Yes they can. It's been done before but it takes a lot of effort and patience.

limerickman said:
I have the old turbo trainer - no fancy links to TV screens or suchlike.
Just a metal frame with a fitted roller for the backwheel.
Nothing else.

I rarely use the trainer - as i prefer cycling on the road.
Unless it is snowing (and that may happen once every couple of years) I cycle on the road.

For those who do use trainers - do they work?
What I mean is - do they work to the extent that you can gain race (competitive) fitness??
Depends on where you live I think (during a Seattle winter, 4 out of 5 days its raining), but if your coaching schedule/program says 6 X 6 mins at zone 5 threshold with 2 minute recoveries for that day, and you look out the window and it's pouring down rain and a couple of degrees above freezing, then the trainer is useful. Otherwise it sucks compared to the road and changing scenes on a ride, of course.

get a mirror and watch your legs, and form.
I'm sick of my trainer. tomorrow is going to be almost 60 degrees around here.
I'm thinking about going out for a real ride. However, the roads are still in pretty bad shape, with all the salt, grit, and new potholes.

Freehub said:
get a mirror and watch your legs, and form.
I'm sick of my trainer. tomorrow is going to be almost 60 degrees around here.
I'm thinking about going out for a real ride. However, the roads are still in pretty bad shape, with all the salt, grit, and new potholes.
This is the time of the year when the bike trails are your best bet. I drove past the trail a little south of Loveland and it is in good shape, a few wet spots but mostly dry from what I could see.

Yeah this can happen. You've got it down. Maybe watch a video that is scenic and pretend.