Things you have to take cycling:

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by Dave80, May 13, 2006.

1. Dave80

Dave80 New Member

1. Helmet
    2. Mobile phone

Helmet:
    After my cycling partner took a fall yesterday I got all the evidence I will ever need for wearing one. He landed on the top of his head and split his helmet in two. He was KO'ed for at least 30 seconds. 4 hour later he still had no memory of the entire day and no short term memory. Fortunately all the CT scans came up good and he is okay now (aside from some really bad bruising, deep cuts and general stiffness). We were only going at about 25km/h when it happened.

Mobile Phone:
    My mobile phone got saturated in my saddle bag last week and thus I didn't have one with me when the accident happened. Fortunately, someone else was walking past so we could call an ambulance. Only 15 minutes earlier we were riding in a more isolated area. When my mate was lying on the path motionless it was a little concerning when I went for my mobile only to find a puncture kit.

Does anyone else have so other things to add to the list?

Tags:

2. Macross

Macross New Member

Driving license in case KO alone.

3. parawolf

parawolf New Member

Credit Card & $20 cash:

Emergancy purchases if you don't carry everything or need to get a taxi home.

Puncture Kit (spare tube or both):

Obvious reasons, don't want to be stuck 10km or more from a major road and have to hike it out. Best to fix/replace and get back on your bike.

4. Macross

Macross New Member

Well I always had my ID and Eftpos card, and the riders' essential with me :cool: . There's one time, I didn't bring any spare tube and eqp, I had to walk 5 km to the nearest bike shop to get the flat fixed. A nasty lesson learnt.

5. WrxAnt

WrxAnt New Member

Emergency contact details...

Just in case my wife needs to be called as it can be extremely hard to track down people even if you know where they live.

Cheers
    Ant

6. lumpy

lumpy New Member

Let someone know where you're going so if the worst happens, someone will know where to look.

7. mezzinator

mezzinator New Member

Front door key, my phone, $20 my drivers license and a muesli bar. All in a little zip-lock plastic bag so even if I get caught in the rain my phone will be fine. :)

Oh, and of course a spare tube, tyre levers and a multi-tool in my seat bag.

And a multi million dollar sponsorship deal including all the bikes I can eat... Oh, I dreamt that one, as have we all. :p

8. aa9t8

aa9t8 New Member

water, granola bar, multi tool, pump, tube, glueless patches, master link, phone,

9. number31

number31 New Member

most people seem to list spare tubes but no pump. i am assuming the pump is attached to the bike?

10. cb1967

cb1967 New Member

I just take a mobile and some money. If I (or family) have a puncture we call the RACV.
    Bike Assist - $15 per year and they'll come and fix it or give you a taxi home ($50 max) Although a puncture is not really a problem, if there is a severe mechanical failure, then its peace of mind.
    Some LBS now sell bikes with it included.

11. Ricardo29

Ricardo29 New Member

i picked up a fella off the side of the road last week.

was out in the country...it was raining as hard as ive ever seen it...this sole figure walking along the road pushing his bike...we were at least 50kms from the next town.
    he had 2 punctures!! and his phone became waterlogged in his shirt, so couldnt call his wife. and he hadnt seen a car for an hour!!
    drove him 50kms to his house.....he said thankyou about 278 times in the 30mins!!

12. Macross

Macross New Member

Thats very nice of you, how I wish that happen to me while I was pushing my bike in the rain sometime back. ;)

13. Wrightstuff

Wrightstuff New Member

In addition to the previously mentioned, tweezers to pick out glass or metal, 2x 50c as I have no mobile, a business card to line sidewall incase of a slashed tyre.

14. LeojVS

LeojVS New Member

heres my list.
    helmet, 2 tubes
    phone, puncture repair kit
    pump, cable ties
    cash $5-20, superglue (stick your skin back on. Serious)
    3 tyre levers, ventolin
    4 aaa batteries ( 1.5 - 2 hours in the dark every ride)
    deep heat in the jersey. Keeps the chest warm....
    oh, and wallet

I travel 50 kliks, so I take everything. It all goes in a saddle bag, 'sept for the pump. I have used all but the glue (not on the roady anyway)

15. izzythedan

izzythedan New Member

Spare tube
    tire leavers
    patch kit
    multi tool thingy
    chain tool
    banana, or two ($10/kg!)
    Mobile
    drivers licence (incase I'm found unconscious)
    Business card of a close friend with details to call her in case of emergency
    Money for coffee
    Credit card

Its amazing what you can fin in the back pockets of a jersey!
    :)

16. 1id10t

1id10t New Member

I always take a phone, keys, money, credit or ATM card, something to eat and drink, multitool and spare tube and pump. However, I recently purchased a can of tyre inflator from the lbs. I commute around 40km per day and the thought of being stuck late at night having to fix a flat didn't appeal. The tyre inflator is similar to those found for cars. You just leave the tyre on the bike, attach the can and press the button. The foam is injected into the tyre. You then ride for about 5km; the foam seals the puncture and the tyre inflates. I've used the same type of product for cars a couple of times and can attest to them working as described. Haven't had to use this one for the bike though (hope not to any time soon) and would not want to at $25 per can. Still, those nights when i've been forced to work after 9pm and am only thinking of getting home I hope this will be a good (but not often required) investment.

17. mezzinator

mezzinator New Member

I read in another thread about some guy taking his glock. :eek:

Yep, America.

Here in Australia I always have a boomerang... :p

18. jamesc

jamesc New Member

I usually take:

helmet
    water
    compact backpack with:
    -mobile phone
    -wallet
    -mini first aid kit
    -museli bar
    -bananna
    -multi-tool
    -tyre levers
    -CO2 inflator
    -spare tube

James

19. top_aussie

top_aussie New Member

i usualy take my wallet which has:
    ID
    money
    spare key
    and i will take too drink bottles.
    and my mobile
    yes i travel light, but i dont av money like all u other guys for this flashy stuff u have

20. Ironhorserunner

Ironhorserunner New Member

I am not carrying much at the moment as I have only just purchased my bike last week and am only going on short rides on fire trails that start near my home. One thing though, I do take my mobile and have an I.C.E. (In case of emergency number ) in the phone book.