Think anyone not on drugs can beat someone on drugs in 3-week race? Read this

Klodifan said:
cliff's notes version please
OK, just for you:

1. HGH

After a few weeks of the HGH, I began to notice subtle changes. My skin started getting... better. Sun blotches that I'd had on my arms for a year faded away. One morning I woke up and a scar on my forehead—which I'd gotten from a mountain-bike endo two years earlier—was more or less gone. Even though I was training like a madman, I looked more rested. Younger. A little fresher.

Then I started to realize that my eyesight really was improving. I'd been thinking about getting glasses to read fine print on maps, but now there was no need. The glasses I used for night driving stayed in the glove compartment, unused, unnecessary.

2. After adding EPO and Test

After just a few weeks of the test and EPO, I rode...the Solvang Double Century, at what for me was a fast and hard pace, finishing in around 11.5 hours. About ten hours in, it dawned on me that something was definitely happening. Sure, I'd been training hard, but I'd done enough of that to know what to expect. All around me were riders—good, strong riders—who looked as worn out as you'd expect after ten hours in the saddle. I was tired, but I felt curiously strong, annoyingly talkative and fresh, eager to hammer the last 40 miles. The last time I'd ridden 200 miles, I felt awful the next day, like I'd been hit by a truck. After the Solvang race I woke up and felt hardly a touch of soreness. I also felt like I could easily ride another 200, and I realized that I'd entered another world, the realm of instant recovery. I'll be frank: It was a reassuring kind of world, and I could see why people might want to stay there.

3. After adding Steroids

Two hundred and nine pounds. I was stunned. I'd never weighed this much. When I first saw Dr. Jones, I weighed 195, which was high for me.

Immediately I hopped on the bike and rode like hell for a few hours. When I got back, I stepped on the scales: 201. I'd lost eight pounds on a not very hot day when I was drinking plenty of fluids?

"What's the problem?" Dr. Jones demanded when I told him I was freaking out over the weight gain. He had me stand on a machine that measured body weight and fat. I weighed 207, but my body fat had dropped to 6.5 percent, down from 10 percent.

4. The final Paris-Brest-Paris Race:

We finished the 1,225-kilometer ride in just under 76 hours—sleeping only twice for a few hours. The next morning, if it weren't for my saddle sores, I could have easily done it again.

You read that? He rode 1,225 kilometers in 76 hours and because of the drugs, he felt fresh enough to ride another 1,200+ THE NEXT DAY.

(Oh, and he'd gained 12 lbs of muscle from the steroids despite stopping weightlifting and yet, he still rode faster than before despite the added weight)

donrhummy said:
Everyone here HAS to read this article:

http://outside.away.com/outside/bodywork/200311/200311_drug_test_1.html

It is the most honest, informative doping article ever written. Outside Magazine's Stuart Stevens went to a doctor and actually doped himself for the Paris-Brest-Paris race. He reports on how each drug helped or did not help him. It's amazing.
Very intersting stuff. Thanks for posting. The quotes from the muscle-head forums were hilarious.

donrhummy said:
OK, just for you:
Thanks for the synopsis, donrhummy :) that explains puerto contador looking so energized and refreshed after his stage win :p

fscyclist: LOLOLOLOL :D :D :D

Klodifan said:
Thanks for the synopsis, donrhummy :) that explains puerto contador looking so energized and refreshed after his stage win :p

fscyclist: LOLOLOLOL :D :D :D
Yep. For Contador to basically be as strong and fresh on day 14,15 as on day one is ridiculous. And you always hear about guys who "ride themselves into shape as the tour goes on," getting stronger in week 3. Right.

You want to see what an amazingly doped performance might look like? Watch Basso in the 2006 Giro. Everyone around him starts collapsing, they're out of the saddle and chugging hard and then, no joke, he doesn't attack but simply stays seated in his saddle and rides away from everyone with a smile on his face like he's on flat ground. And he did that EVERY stage.

I used testosterone years ago during my bodybuilding days and it's greatest benefit is how it aids recovery. After using it for about 2 weeks I stopped getting sore despite training harder and heavier then before. Great stuff.

I would like to have micro doses of HGH now that I am over 35 since the bodies production decreases from 30 on. The stuff is amazing.

azdroptop said:
I used testosterone years ago during my bodybuilding days and it's greatest benefit is how it aids recovery. After using it for about 2 weeks I stopped getting sore despite training harder and heavier then before. Great stuff.

I would like to have micro doses of HGH now that I am over 35 since the bodies production decreases from 30 on. The stuff is amazing.
Okay, I don't race, but I'm a working mom with two kids. Where can I get this stuff??? To think that housewives are taking their kids' Ritalin when they could be using HGH and EPO. Think I'd skip the test.

cheapie said:
is hgh bad for you or illegal?
Illegal? Yes, unless you're over 35 I believe and your doctor prescribes it for you (and a few other extreme cases).

Bad for you? YES. See, the problem with HGH is that it can make things grow -- everything. It can make bones grow. It can make organs grow. This is why guys like Barry Bonds get huge foreheads and have their feet and elbows grow even though they're 40 years old. It's also why guys can have ripped abs and yet have a distended gut - from the organ growth. It can also kill you in too high dosages (while it was his body producing it, this is how Andre the Giant died).

cheapie said:
sigh. never mind then. :p
No joke: NOTHING beats simply exercising, eating well and trying to stay unstressed. You'll live a lot longer, healthier and happier. There are no quick fixes. ALL quick fixes are like Microsoft patches - they fix one thing and break another.

What is really worrying and which I will never undertsand is how anyone could ingest products like EPO/HGH or bovine whatever.

The fact of the matter is that anyone ingesting this stuff is not only cheating but they're playing russian-roulette with their future health.

Let's face it, these so called "doctors" are using product in a non-clinical method.
Using products which were created to treat medical conditions, as performance enhancers in healthy athletes is diceing with all sorts of outcomes.

Michele Ferrari or whoever, won't end up being liable when these guys health is destroyed.

limerickman said:
What is really worrying and which I will never undertsand is how anyone could ingest products like EPO/HGH or bovine whatever.

The fact of the matter is that anyone ingesting this stuff is not only cheating but they're playing russian-roulette with their future health.

Let's face it, these so called "doctors" are using product in a non-clinical method.
Using products which were created to treat medical conditions, as performance enhancers in healthy athletes is diceing with all sorts of outcomes.

Michele Ferrari or whoever, won't end up being liable when these guys health is destroyed.
No more confusing than how people can clog their arteries with McDonalds or take recreational drugs or drink alcohol or any number of things humans do to ruin their health/lives.

donrhummy said:
No more confusing than how people can clog their arteries with McDonalds or take recreational drugs or drink alcohol or any number of things humans do to ruin their health/lives.

.........this is outside of a sporting capacity.