Think I'll Try My First 50 Mile Ride In The Next Couple Weeks, Any Advice?

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
I've been cycling for 3 months, usually 20-30 mile rides. Last week, I worked myself up to 3 30 mile days in a row. I'm thinking that I will try to do a 50 mile ride within the next 2-3 weeks. Any advice on nutrition/hydration or general pacing? I think I could survive it at the minimum as is, but I want to enjoy it as well.

Your training of up to 30 miles per day sounds as though it will put you in a great position to have a good go at the 50 miles. What do you tend to do for food along the way when you're doing that distance? Some people find that they need to eat more often than others. Energy drinks (proper sports ones, not the sugary rubbish that you can buy from supermarkets) can be really good for keeping you going, as not many people want to stop to eat properly. One thing that I would advise is that you make sure that all of your cycling gear fits well. It can be easy to get away with poor fitting things on short journeys, but when you almost double your average distance you may find that things start to become more of a problem.

Reactions: BobCochran
You know how your body adapts to changes if you think you can switch to the 50 mile ride in a short period of time then do so but if I were to be in your situation I will take the transition a bit slowly. Your body might still be adjusting just listen to it. You are right you have to enjoy the experience too so if something hurts or does not feel right then do your adjustments accordingly.

That 50 miles you are planning is already 1 lap in the professional cycling tour (I'm talking of our local tour here). But since you can do 30 milies then 50 miles will be easy for you. But my advice is for you to have a companion rider or riders, the more, the merrier. In a race, there is the so called pacer so in cycling, even if it's not a race, you need a pacer so your riding will be easier.

I feel like you're going to find a 50-mile ride more enjoyable than painful, considering what your normal cycling range has been recently. Stay hydrated, don't forget about electrolytes, and make sure that you're not pushing too hard to get it over with. Use your normal pace, or even consider dialing it back a slight notch, and then you shouldn't have too much trouble reaching that mark. Good luck! :)

I guess as long as you're training correctly, you should stay hydrated and eat clean. Especially on the days building up to the race, you need to do those things in order to stay in top shape.

I woke up this morning and decided, why not try it?I rode 50.7 miles in 3hr 6minutes not counting 20 minutes or so for food/drink stops.At the 35-40 mile mark, the fatigue started to set in....That was until I saw a Bear run into the woods a 200feet or so ahead of me...It was a great ride, next goal is to do my first century(will need another 3-6 months to prepare for that)!

If you can do the 30 miles, then the 50 will be easy. Go for it. GemmaRowlands and Corzhens both speak well. Stop to eat properly, and for the first ride at least, why not bring a friend?

I think I'm probably ready for something like that -- a day ride to one of the local airports and back would be about 60 miles for me. The route that I was using is a little boring though, and I'm interested in exploring some of the more hilly areas to my northwest.

Bob

BobCochran said:
If you can do the 30 miles, then the 50 will be easy. Go for it. GemmaRowlands and Corzhens both speak well. Stop to eat properly, and for the first ride at least, why not bring a friend?

I think I'm probably ready for something like that -- a day ride to one of the local airports and back would be about 60 miles for me. The route that I was using is a little boring though, and I'm interested in exploring some of the more hilly areas to my northwest.

Bob
See above^. It definitely would have been more enjoyable going with someone else, my brother wants to go with me the next time I do a 50 mile ride!I'm a little sore, but nothing that a good night of sleep won't fix. I don't know why I waited 28 years to get into cycling, I love it!

Congratulations on your 50! That is half a century! I should have done a better job of reading, ha ha! I would have really liked seeing the bear, too. I'd definitely have tried to get photos of it.

If you do about 2 more weeks of 20-40 mile training days, with at least one rest day per week, you are ready for a century ride. Go do it.

Congratulations again.

Bob