Think I'm a fred

Andrew Pancroft

Feb 16, 2010
25 years ago on So Cal I was getting around Orange County on a wild, multi-colored Tesch R 101. Now, on my late 40's I live in the Colorado altitude and want to pick up a decent road bike. 25 years and a mile higher and have no real idea what to puchase these days. Any suggestions on what a middle age, recreational tobe road cyclist should look for these days??

Thanks!!

First figure out what size and fit you need like at a bike shop. Then do some research taking into consideration what kind of rider you want to be in a month and in a year. You should be able to accomplish this fairly quickly.
There are a lot of knowledgebale people here that can help if you can be a little more specific on what you want and need.

Yeah, one thing I've recently learned is that size has changed with the change of geometry, etc. of newer designed bikes. And, the old Campy C-Record Delta Gruppo isn't the top shelf these days!! Lots to learn!!

so you're not racing but you have mountains in colorado and i'd be guessing that you'll be wanting to climb those pretty soon on a bicycle so i'd go with a triple chainring for easiest climbs on a touring frame such as a roubaix, comfortable road bike and yet still speedy. all levels of it listed in this link.

Specialized Bicycle Components : Roubaix Triple

Andrew Pancroft said:
25 years ago on So Cal I was getting around Orange County on a wild, multi-colored Tesch R 101. Now, on my late 40's I live in the Colorado altitude and want to pick up a decent road bike. 25 years and a mile higher and have no real idea what to puchase these days. Any suggestions on what a middle age, recreational tobe road cyclist should look for these days??

Thanks!!
Do you still have your Tesch R 101 bike?

If so, then why not simply update the gearing and/or components?

What kind of riding do you plan to do AND what is your budget?

Before you buy that SPECIALIZED, go to COLORADO CYCLIST (Colorado Springs) or EXCEL SPORTS (Boulder) OR their respective web sites and/or ask to be put on their catalog mailing lists ...

There are OTHER options which are as-good-or-better.

alfeng said:
Do you still have your Tesch R 101 bike?

If so, then why not simply update the gearing and/or components?

What kind of riding do you plan to do AND what is your budget?

Before you buy that SPECIALIZED, go to COLORADO CYCLIST (Colorado Springs) or EXCEL SPORTS (Boulder) OR their respective web sites and/or ask to be put on their catalog mailing lists ...

There are OTHER options which are as-good-or-better.

there goes my commission. :D kidding, i ride a Specialized Tarmac and have test ridden the Roubaix vigourously and that's why i suggested it. nothing in the world wrong with Specialized as that Roubaix bike is quite busy winning King of the Mountain stages in the TDF but it's always a good idea having informed options. Talk to the local cyclists (find some your age if you want to get technical and i'm sure they're all about in CO) and see what they say but i'd still go Specialized. Half the adrenaline is that new bike under you anywho and no one can contest that.

good luck.

Specialized make great bikes, as do alot of other companies, try the bikes Roadhouse has suggested, and try some others of similar price and determine from their what suits best. Roadhouse is right on the money with the idea of a triple it'll make the ride more enjoyable if you've been out of the saddle for a while. ( Cant believe i've agreed with something roadhouse said )

Yeah, the Specialized is the bike for me! The Tesch geometry was 75/77 - wouldn't ride it if I still had it!!! The Spec looks very cool and, in addition to RH's suggestion, it seems to get pretty good reviews.

Thanks and I'll keep everyone posted!!

Andrew

FWIW, it's okay to be a Fred. Fred's are into cycling and ride their bikes. Don't be Father Fred, though, 'cuz he molested something like 30 boys in his church.

Andrew Pancroft said:
Yeah, the Specialized is the bike for me! The Tesch geometry was 75/77 - wouldn't ride it if I still had it!!! The Spec looks very cool and, in addition to RH's suggestion, it seems to get pretty good reviews.

Thanks and I'll keep everyone posted!!

Andrew

Specialized is one of if not the best in the business. now if only they had enough money to buy Lance..:p
a pro triathlete i've had the pleasure of mingling with in recent months via the net just broke the Ironman Arizona bike course record (broke the entire course record and won first place overall) on his first outting being sponsored by Specialized. just some more gleeful knowledge i thought you'd like to have under your belt.

you can't go wrong with Specialized, ever ever ever.

post pics when you get it so we can all drool a bit and glad to be able to help Andrew.

Okay. So, after looking and giving thought I got down to a Roubouix or the Tarmac. What did I end up with???? Felt F1 - AWESOME bike!!!!! Thanks again guys for all the input!!!!!

Andrew

kdelong said:
Congrats on the bike! The F1 is awesome!
Thanks, I'm LOVING this bike!!! This thing is crazy fast and responsive!!!! Set me back a few bills but, well worth the expense!!!