Think I'm running too little?

Mb

Guest
Hey all. I'm training for my first marathon in May. I'm having such fun with it! I wonder if I am
running too few times a week, though. I'm a mad cross-trainer, because I like the other workouts,
but I may be babying my legs too much...

More info: I'm in my late 20s, and have always been an athlete (college Div.I field hockey, high
school 3 sports, none of them track/cross country), but have used running as a part of my fitness
schedule on and off since college (along with kickboxing, cardio machines, swimming, etc).

In the past 3 years, I've done a bunch of 10ks, 8ks, and 2 10 milers, and I'm doing a half marathon
next week.

Right now, I'm only running 3 times a week. A long run (12 so far), and then a 6-7.5 and another one
(depending on the weather, I've done intervals on the treadmill or quick 3-4 miles outiside). The
long runs are my favorite, then the 6 or 7...I really don't like running short distances, I don't
know exactly why, but I just really like to start out slow on a run, then I start feeling really
good around 5 miles.

On the other days of the week: I swim at least once, do a low-impact/high intensity kickboxing class
one day and sometimes a step class on another day. I also do weights 2-3 days.

I really like the way my schedule is making me feel, and 12 last week was absolutely no problem (I
even finished more quickly than I expected or tried to), but it doesn't really seem like much of a
runner's/training schedule. Because I haven't gotten really high in mileage, I wonder if once I get
into 15, 16, 18, whatever, whether this schedule will still work? For the marathon, I'm totally
doing it to finish safely and have fun...I'm thinking 4:20...and, importantly, (even thought I am
somewhat marathon-goal-driven), I want to continue to enjoy running, which I think I *might* if I
run 4x week, but maybe not at 5x...

Any thoughts? Need any more info?

"MB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey all. I'm training for my first marathon in May. I'm having such fun with it! I wonder if I am
> running too few times a week, though. I'm a mad cross-trainer, because I like the other workouts,
> but I may be babying my legs too much...
>
> More info: I'm in my late 20s, and have always been an athlete (college Div.I field hockey, high
> school 3 sports, none of them track/cross country), but have used running as a part of my fitness
> schedule on and off since college (along with kickboxing, cardio machines, swimming, etc).
>
> In the past 3 years, I've done a bunch of 10ks, 8ks, and 2 10 milers, and I'm doing a half
> marathon next week.
>
> Right now, I'm only running 3 times a week. A long run (12 so far), and then a 6-7.5 and another
> one (depending on the weather, I've done intervals on the treadmill or quick 3-4 miles outiside).
> The long runs are my favorite, then the 6 or 7...I really don't like running short distances, I
> don't know exactly why, but I just really like to start out slow on a run, then I start feeling
> really good around 5 miles.
>
> On the other days of the week: I swim at least once, do a low-impact/high intensity kickboxing
> class one day and sometimes a step class on another day. I also do weights 2-3 days.
>
> I really like the way my schedule is making me feel, and 12 last week was absolutely no problem (I
> even finished more quickly than I expected or tried to), but it doesn't really seem like much of a
> runner's/training schedule. Because I haven't gotten really high in mileage, I wonder if once I
> get into 15, 16, 18, whatever, whether this schedule will still work? For the marathon, I'm
> totally doing it to finish safely and have fun...I'm thinking 4:20...and, importantly, (even
> thought I am somewhat marathon-goal-driven), I want to continue to enjoy running, which I think I
> *might* if I run 4x week, but maybe not at 5x...
>
> Any thoughts? Need any more info?

My first thought would be that if you trained a little better you'd be able to finish stronger, and
probably even run a sub-4 hour marathon. I'm sure you know this, so I'm not going to go into it.

I'd say at your age and experience you cited, a 4:20 is within range, but the end will almost
definitely suck, and you'll wish you trained better... but you'll survive. Obviously, again, you
should train properly for it. I'd sign upfor a fall marathon instead, but if you are dead-set on
May, try to get some solid longer runs in and taper properly.

good luck,
--
David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most insecure people are the ones you see, putting
other people down constantly."

"SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<EVV%[email protected]>...
> "MB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Hey all. I'm training for my first marathon in May. I'm having such fun with it! I wonder if I
> > am running too few times a week, though. I'm a mad cross-trainer, because I like the other
> > workouts, but I may be babying my legs too much...
> >
> > More info: I'm in my late 20s, and have always been an athlete (college Div.I field hockey,
> > high school 3 sports, none of them track/cross country), but have used running as a part of
> > my fitness schedule on and off since college (along with kickboxing, cardio machines,
> > swimming, etc).
> >
> > In the past 3 years, I've done a bunch of 10ks, 8ks, and 2 10 milers, and I'm doing a half
> > marathon next week.
> >
> > Right now, I'm only running 3 times a week. A long run (12 so far), and then a 6-7.5 and another
> > one (depending on the weather, I've done intervals on the treadmill or quick 3-4 miles
> > outiside). The long runs are my favorite, then the 6 or 7...I really don't like running short
> > distances, I don't know exactly why, but I just really like to start out slow on a run, then I
> > start feeling really good around 5 miles.
> >
> > On the other days of the week: I swim at least once, do a low-impact/high intensity kickboxing
> > class one day and sometimes a step class on another day. I also do weights 2-3 days.
> >
> > I really like the way my schedule is making me feel, and 12 last week was absolutely no problem
> > (I even finished more quickly than I expected or tried to), but it doesn't really seem like much
> > of a runner's/training schedule. Because I haven't gotten really high in mileage, I wonder if
> > once I get into 15, 16, 18, whatever, whether this schedule will still work? For the marathon,
> > I'm totally doing it to finish safely and have fun...I'm thinking 4:20...and, importantly, (even
> > thought I am somewhat marathon-goal-driven), I want to continue to enjoy running, which I think
> > I *might* if I run 4x week, but maybe not at 5x...
> >
> > Any thoughts? Need any more info?
>
> My first thought would be that if you trained a little better you'd be able to finish stronger,
> and probably even run a sub-4 hour marathon. I'm sure you know this, so I'm not going to go
> into it.
>
> I'd say at your age and experience you cited, a 4:20 is within range, but the end will almost
> definitely suck, and you'll wish you trained better... but you'll survive. Obviously, again, you
> should train properly for it. I'd sign upfor a fall marathon instead, but if you are dead-set on
> May, try to get some solid longer runs in and taper properly.

I think you're probably right, thanks. I don't want it to suck :) I'm still going to do May, but
I'll keep your advice in mind!