Think I'm running too little?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Mb, Feb 27, 2004.

  1. Mb

    Mb Guest

    Hey all. I'm training for my first marathon in May. I'm having such fun with it! I wonder if I am
    running too few times a week, though. I'm a mad cross-trainer, because I like the other workouts,
    but I may be babying my legs too much...

    More info: I'm in my late 20s, and have always been an athlete (college Div.I field hockey, high
    school 3 sports, none of them track/cross country), but have used running as a part of my fitness
    schedule on and off since college (along with kickboxing, cardio machines, swimming, etc).

    In the past 3 years, I've done a bunch of 10ks, 8ks, and 2 10 milers, and I'm doing a half marathon
    next week.

    Right now, I'm only running 3 times a week. A long run (12 so far), and then a 6-7.5 and another one
    (depending on the weather, I've done intervals on the treadmill or quick 3-4 miles outiside). The
    long runs are my favorite, then the 6 or 7...I really don't like running short distances, I don't
    know exactly why, but I just really like to start out slow on a run, then I start feeling really
    good around 5 miles.

    On the other days of the week: I swim at least once, do a low-impact/high intensity kickboxing class
    one day and sometimes a step class on another day. I also do weights 2-3 days.

    I really like the way my schedule is making me feel, and 12 last week was absolutely no problem (I
    even finished more quickly than I expected or tried to), but it doesn't really seem like much of a
    runner's/training schedule. Because I haven't gotten really high in mileage, I wonder if once I get
    into 15, 16, 18, whatever, whether this schedule will still work? For the marathon, I'm totally
    doing it to finish safely and have fun...I'm thinking 4:20...and, importantly, (even thought I am
    somewhat marathon-goal-driven), I want to continue to enjoy running, which I think I *might* if I
    run 4x week, but maybe not at 5x...

    Any thoughts? Need any more info?

  2. SwStudio

    SwStudio Guest

    "MB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hey all. I'm training for my first marathon in May. I'm having such fun with it! I wonder if I am
    > running too few times a week, though. I'm a mad cross-trainer, because I like the other workouts,
    > but I may be babying my legs too much...
    >
    > More info: I'm in my late 20s, and have always been an athlete (college Div.I field hockey, high
    > school 3 sports, none of them track/cross country), but have used running as a part of my fitness
    > schedule on and off since college (along with kickboxing, cardio machines, swimming, etc).
    >
    > In the past 3 years, I've done a bunch of 10ks, 8ks, and 2 10 milers, and I'm doing a half
    > marathon next week.
    >
    > Right now, I'm only running 3 times a week. A long run (12 so far), and then a 6-7.5 and another
    > one (depending on the weather, I've done intervals on the treadmill or quick 3-4 miles outiside).
    > The long runs are my favorite, then the 6 or 7...I really don't like running short distances, I
    > don't know exactly why, but I just really like to start out slow on a run, then I start feeling
    > really good around 5 miles.
    >
    > On the other days of the week: I swim at least once, do a low-impact/high intensity kickboxing
    > class one day and sometimes a step class on another day. I also do weights 2-3 days.
    >
    > I really like the way my schedule is making me feel, and 12 last week was absolutely no problem (I
    > even finished more quickly than I expected or tried to), but it doesn't really seem like much of a
    > runner's/training schedule. Because I haven't gotten really high in mileage, I wonder if once I
    > get into 15, 16, 18, whatever, whether this schedule will still work? For the marathon, I'm
    > totally doing it to finish safely and have fun...I'm thinking 4:20...and, importantly, (even
    > thought I am somewhat marathon-goal-driven), I want to continue to enjoy running, which I think I
    > *might* if I run 4x week, but maybe not at 5x...
    >
    > Any thoughts? Need any more info?

    My first thought would be that if you trained a little better you'd be able to finish stronger, and
    probably even run a sub-4 hour marathon. I'm sure you know this, so I'm not going to go into it.

    I'd say at your age and experience you cited, a 4:20 is within range, but the end will almost
    definitely suck, and you'll wish you trained better... but you'll survive. Obviously, again, you
    should train properly for it. I'd sign upfor a fall marathon instead, but if you are dead-set on
    May, try to get some solid longer runs in and taper properly.

    good luck,
    --
    David (in Hamilton, ON) www.allfalldown.org "The most insecure people are the ones you see, putting
    other people down constantly."

  3. Mb

    Mb Guest

    "SwStudio" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<EVV%[email protected]>...
    > "MB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hey all. I'm training for my first marathon in May. I'm having such fun with it! I wonder if I
    > > am running too few times a week, though. I'm a mad cross-trainer, because I like the other
    > > workouts, but I may be babying my legs too much...
    > >
    > > More info: I'm in my late 20s, and have always been an athlete (college Div.I field hockey,
    > > high school 3 sports, none of them track/cross country), but have used running as a part of
    > > my fitness schedule on and off since college (along with kickboxing, cardio machines,
    > > swimming, etc).
    > >
    > > In the past 3 years, I've done a bunch of 10ks, 8ks, and 2 10 milers, and I'm doing a half
    > > marathon next week.
    > >
    > > Right now, I'm only running 3 times a week. A long run (12 so far), and then a 6-7.5 and another
    > > one (depending on the weather, I've done intervals on the treadmill or quick 3-4 miles
    > > outiside). The long runs are my favorite, then the 6 or 7...I really don't like running short
    > > distances, I don't know exactly why, but I just really like to start out slow on a run, then I
    > > start feeling really good around 5 miles.
    > >
    > > On the other days of the week: I swim at least once, do a low-impact/high intensity kickboxing
    > > class one day and sometimes a step class on another day. I also do weights 2-3 days.
    > >
    > > I really like the way my schedule is making me feel, and 12 last week was absolutely no problem
    > > (I even finished more quickly than I expected or tried to), but it doesn't really seem like much
    > > of a runner's/training schedule. Because I haven't gotten really high in mileage, I wonder if
    > > once I get into 15, 16, 18, whatever, whether this schedule will still work? For the marathon,
    > > I'm totally doing it to finish safely and have fun...I'm thinking 4:20...and, importantly, (even
    > > thought I am somewhat marathon-goal-driven), I want to continue to enjoy running, which I think
    > > I *might* if I run 4x week, but maybe not at 5x...
    > >
    > > Any thoughts? Need any more info?
    >
    > My first thought would be that if you trained a little better you'd be able to finish stronger,
    > and probably even run a sub-4 hour marathon. I'm sure you know this, so I'm not going to go
    > into it.
    >
    > I'd say at your age and experience you cited, a 4:20 is within range, but the end will almost
    > definitely suck, and you'll wish you trained better... but you'll survive. Obviously, again, you
    > should train properly for it. I'd sign upfor a fall marathon instead, but if you are dead-set on
    > May, try to get some solid longer runs in and taper properly.

    I think you're probably right, thanks. I don't want it to suck :) I'm still going to do May, but
    I'll keep your advice in mind!