Think Of The Children! No, really.

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote:
> > On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >> Well I'm finding out even more why Linux will not make it to the masses.

> > Followed by a list of problems with windoze.
> > A leap of logic I don't understand there, methinks.

> My logic is that most people using Knoppix will not be Linux based so
> will be starting from Windows. Therefore I would expect some fairly
> clear instructions on how to successfully create a usable boot CD in
> Windows, not half hearted pointers with lots of problems and cramming so
> much onto a CD that I had to overburn to get it all on a 700MB disc.

But only because you've decided you want something free. Are you
comparing the process with how easy it is to make a free bootable
Windows XP install disk?

If you buy a modern distribution (my personal favourite is SuSE,
largely for historical reasons related to ISDN support) the
installation complexity generally reduces to pressing enter a few
times. However, though I personally use linux for home and work, I
don't actually think it's ideal for everyone - in much the same way
(for example) as the fact that I use a HP RPN scientific programmable
calculator, but my mum is better served by a simple four-function one
(if, indeed, she has one at all). I have no doubt that my calculator
is, in general terms, 'better' than hers, but that doesn't mean I'd
recommend she used one like mine.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On 17/10/04 7:35 pm, in article
[email protected], "Simon Brooke"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> in message <BD96E966.23B0D%[email protected]>, David Martin
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
>> I got compromised a couple of days ago on my home server. Not rooted,
>> but by the looks of it a simple guess the userid/pw via ssh. I'm
>> runnign Mandrake 10.
>>
>> The case for locking down the family PC (does the firewall router job
>> as well as a desktop) and getting a new PC for them to use as a client
>> is getting stronger.
>>
>> The trick at the moment is trying to keep a userid/password that my
>> 6yo can use whilst allowing me to SSH in from work..

> Surely you don't ssh in with the same user id as he uses? Simply disable
> ssh for his user id. See AllowUsers or AllowGroups in sshd_config(5).

Yet another smart idea.. You can tell that sysadmin was something I had to
do rather than something I chose to do..

Quick hackery coming up..

...d

David Hansen

Re: Think Of The Children! No, really.
On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 15:03:32 GMT someone who may be Sniper8052
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

> Guy has explained his referance and I have accepted his
> interpretaion which is what discussion is ment to be. Or do you disagree
> with that too?

> My point is quite simple. The Department of/for Transport has for
> decades been part of the road "safety" lobby, which has driven
> "vulnerable users" off the roads in order to speed up car users.
> They are responsible for road "safety" and also are the ones who
> produce the official figures on "safety". Thus one must take their
> figures with a pinch of salt. They are not going to produce figures
> that show they are doing the wrong things. This is actually a very
> important point.

> That is why I asked the question about the figures for children.
> Does this mean the children are safer, or that they have been driven
> off the roads.

The figures quoted were figures which had no conclusion drawn from them in
the text as published by DFT. Therefore they could not be anything but
impartial indicators of the totals, unless you are saying that the figures
are a lie in themselves, it does not matter who produced them.
Again an opinion offered such as "Ah, the road lobby's figures" does
nothing to inform me of your opinion regarding how those figures relate to
the topic under discussion and suggests I am in someway trying to decieve
the reader by quoting a deliberately false representation of the numbers
involved in said topic.

>> A definition according to law is the correct definition of that term in
>> referance to any discussion around that subject.

> Incorrect.

> It may or may not be the correct definition in relation to a legal
> discussion round the subject, but we are not having a legal
> discussion.

Sorry, I thought we were having a discussion about the use of roads and
the relative disproportion of rights given to one party over another. It
would appear to me that as a number of different views regarding the
definition of a road had been offered a correct and legal definition would
be appropriate to the discussion. If those parties involved in a
discussion do not, at the very least, have sight of the others hymn sheet
how can they hope to agree on a mutual definition later on?

>> your response again shows
>> the lack of regard you have for any but your own voice in this matter

> You appear to believe that you can read my mind. However, you
> cannot. This is a common mistake amongst some people and it tells us
> a lot about the people who appear to believe they are mind readers.

<Snip>
> Assuming you are correct, so what?

That sounds fairly like 'I don't care if your right or not'.

> The fact that I advocate an argument does not mean that I have no
> regard for anyone else's argument. However, just because someone
> makes an argument does not mean that I accept it. Listening to and
> accepting an argument are two distinct things.

Making a reasoned discussion and arguing are two seperate things also. I
have presented you with reasoned and evidenced answers to at points one
worded rebuttles of facts and definitions. You have not had the grace to
accept that.

<Snip to Follow through point below>

> The law is a rough approximation of the views of the powerful in
> society. That does not >mean that it is right, quite the reverse. At one
> time the law had no objections to slavery, >that does not mean that the
> law was right.

>> Your opinion.

> Of course. That is not a startling insight.

Please don't be blatently rude you demean yourself and your discourse.

Your opinion is that the law was wrong, yes it was wrong I and almost
everyone here would agree from this point in time that the laws
surrounding slavery were wholly wrong. However that does not mean that
every law is wrong and if you wish to challenge the definition held in law
you will need to evidence that with discussion which expresses why you
hold a view which contradicts said afore mentioned definition.

I said in answer to that question that the Law was right for the people
and society which framed it. Once that law was challenged by discussion
and action it was changed. I agree it took a long time for what is now
regarded as an unjustifiable law to be overturned but it illustrates that
the Law is not a fixed body of statutes and changes with time in response
to the demands of society.

>> The law was right for the society that framed it and was altered by
>> that society as it >>evolved and changed its opinions on the
>> correctness of its behavior.

<Snip to Follow through point below>

>> The Law is a set of rules built up over time and custom describing the
>> behavior of the >>persons creating the society in which it is founded
>> and laying down provisions for the >>punishment of those persons who
>> fail to abide by those rules.

> Assuming that is a good summary then it tells us about the past.

It also tells us about the future when read in conjunction with the
previous paragraph.

> What is more important is the future and that may involve changing the
> law.

By discussion it may be that the laws and customs which have evolved
around road usage will be changed as may many laws, I look forward to the
point when the law says I can stop a person with no insurance and no
drivers licence from driving his car on a road and gives me a power to
arrest him if he tries to do so after I have warned him not to.

>>> The law is a very minor thing.

>> No it isn't. The Law is everything.

> While that may be your opinion it is not mine. At one time is was
> illegal in parts of the >USA to assist runaway slaves. I think those
> that broke the law were right to do so.

I agree that they were right to do so. I agree that some laws are wrong
and need to be challenged. I disagree that we should throw the baby out
with the bath water.

>> Without The Law anyone may dowhatever they like and the powerfull or
>> stronger can take, >>steal, punnish, rape,kill,speed,jump red lights or
>> whatever without fear of any
>> concequence.

> I look forward to the law dealing with Mr Liar for mounting anillegal
> war. However, I'm not holding my breath.

I am not even going there :)

Sniper8052

This post has been composited from UK Rec Cycling as it has not appeared
in my newsreader any errors included are therefore because of this and not
intentional misquotes intended to confuse.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

Newsgroups

Ian Smith wrote:

> But only because you've decided you want something free. Are you
> comparing the process with how easy it is to make a free bootable
> Windows XP install disk?

Lets put it this way. I and virtually every PC user got their Windows
"free" with the machine. Now before I spend the money to replace the OS
with a Linux one I want to be sure it does what I want and is usable for
my style of usage.

Tony

Robert Bruce wrote:

> few years, when she's older and a little more street-wise, I will see Tegwen
> out there playing with her friends. I will *fight* to prevent this public

.... you have a daughter called "Tegwen" ??

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the

dwb wrote:

> Um, no I didn't - I was taught that they were dangerous places and that
> there were more appropriate places to play.
>
> But it appears from the other responses that this isn't the norm.

It depends very much on where you live. If you live on a quite
residential side-street with very little traffic (and traffic moving
slowly at that) then it is a lot safer than if you live on a busier
thoroughfare with more traffic moving at speed. Obviously.

--
Stevie D
\\\\\ ///// Bringing dating agencies to the
\\\\\\\__X__/////// common hedgehog since 2001 - "HedgeHugs"
___\\\\\\\'/ \'///////_____________________________________________

in message <[email protected]>, Tony Raven
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Ian Smith wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>>

>>> Well I'm finding out even more why Linux will not make it to the
>>> masses.

>> Followed by a list of problems with windoze.
>> A leap of logic I don't understand there, methinks.
>>

> My logic is that most people using Knoppix will not be Linux based so
> will be starting from Windows. Therefore I would expect some fairly
> clear instructions on how to successfully create a usable boot CD in
> Windows, not half hearted pointers with lots of problems and cramming
> so much onto a CD that I had to overburn to get it all on a 700MB
> disc.

So a bunch of volunteers spend a lot of their spare time doing something
which is potentially extremely useful to you, and you're going to
whinge because you're too tight to spend £2.50?

The AI .sig generator seems to have a comment to make on this...

;; "If I were a Microsoft Public Relations person, I would probably
;; be sobbing on a desk right now" -- Rob Miller, editor, /.

Stevie D popped their head over the parapet saw what was going on and
said

> It depends very much on where you live. If you live on a quite
> residential side-street with very little traffic (and traffic moving
> slowly at that) then it is a lot safer than if you live on a busier
> thoroughfare with more traffic moving at speed. Obviously.

We used to live in the centre of town (Yeaman place in Edinburgh)
basically the street/road was a rat run for cars going to the south
or east of the city without going along Tollcross and I would not even
consider letting my kids play there. Now we live in a cul-de-sac in
Balerno (a small village on the outskirts of Edinburgh) we see about
ten cars a day and they are usually the neighbours parking up so I
have no fears about letting the kids play outside the front.

--
yours S

in message <[email protected]>, Stevie D
('[email protected]') wrote:

> Robert Bruce wrote:
>
>> few years, when she's older and a little more street-wise, I will see
>> Tegwen out there playing with her friends. I will *fight* to prevent
>> this public

> ... you have a daughter called "Tegwen" ??

Why not?

There's nae Gods, an there's precious few heroes
but there's plenty on the dole in th Land o th Leal;
And it's time now, tae sweep the future clear o
th lies o a past that we know wis never real.

Roedd <Stevie D> wedi ysgrifennu:

> ... you have a daughter called "Tegwen" ??

.... er, yes. What's the problem?

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
and benefit.

In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven wrote:
>Ian Smith wrote:
>> On Sun, 17 Oct 2004, Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> Well I'm finding out even more why Linux will not make it to the masses.

>> Followed by a list of problems with windoze.
>> A leap of logic I don't understand there, methinks.

>My logic is that most people using Knoppix will not be Linux based so
>will be starting from Windows. Therefore I would expect some fairly
>clear instructions on how to successfully create a usable boot CD in
>Windows

"Buy one" is the easiest method. Just like Windows (except with Windows
a magazine cover disk is unlikely to be the easiest way to buy one, and
I've seen Knoppix on one recently).

In article <[email protected]>, the.Mark wrote:

>Sorry to but in on this thread but how easy is it to use Linux I'm fed up
>with XP. I'm seriously considering moving back to windows 98. I need
>something that games will run on for the kids and surfing the internet.

For children's games, I don't think Linux is a good choice. There are
very few games released for Linux compared with Windows, and while there
are various ways of getting some Windows games to run under Linux (see
http://www.transgaming.com/products_linux.php for example), I doubt
anyone would consider it easier than XP.

"Arthur Clune" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> It's not just about kids playing; it's about old people feeling safe, neighbours
> talking and a better environment to live in all round.

Not to mention a safer environment for pets; I had an unpleasant
episode on the way home from work the other week, finding a cat (owner
still unknown) in my street that had been hit by a vehicle and left
for dead. Though I contacted the RSPCA, etc., it was still too late to
do anything for the poor animal, sadly :-(

David E. Belcher

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> in message <[email protected]>, Mark
> Stammers ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > Hey, I've had a great idea! Lets put aside areas within towns and
> > cities, cover them in grass and trees, put in the odd lake, possibly
> > even a dedicated playground. What the hell, lets be radical-even ban
> > cars from them. I've even thought of a name - we could call these
> > things parks.
> >
> > Maybe I've been spoiled living in leafy rustic Birmingham, but there
> > aren't many places that are more than 10-15 minutes on foot from a
> > park. If kids are trusted to play safely unsupervised in the street
> > then they can certainly make it to the park.

> Do you like to have your four-year-olds fifteen minutes' walk away from
> home?

What the *********** are your four-year-olds doing even 1 minute away
from home let alone 15 minutes without your supervision? Or do you
mean that you would rather they played, scrabbling in the gutters and
falling over on the broken glass that litters our streets all safely
under your supervisiou?

"Mark Stammers" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > > Maybe I've been spoiled living in leafy rustic Birmingham, but there
> > > aren't many places that are more than 10-15 minutes on foot from a
> > > park. If kids are trusted to play safely unsupervised in the street
> > > then they can certainly make it to the park.

> > Do you like to have your four-year-olds fifteen minutes' walk away from
> > home?

> What the *********** are your four-year-olds doing even 1 minute away
> from home let alone 15 minutes without your supervision? Or do you
> mean that you would rather they played, scrabbling in the gutters and
> falling over on the broken glass that litters our streets all safely
> under your supervisiou?

What about 6 year olds? When do you feel it's appropriate to let them out of
your sight?

clive

On 18 Oct 2004 12:01:18 +0100 (BST), [email protected] (Alan
Braggins) wrote:

>For children's games, I don't think Linux is a good choice. There are
>very few games released for Linux compared with Windows

Penguins here I come!

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

David Martin <[email protected]>typed

> Still not sure whether I'd fly a cross of st george outside the house
> though..

Would you be scared of wearing any thing in bright blue or bright green?

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
Edgware.

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
>On 18 Oct 2004 12:01:18 +0100 (BST), [email protected] (Alan
>Braggins) wrote:
>
>>For children's games, I don't think Linux is a good choice. There are
>>very few games released for Linux compared with Windows

>Penguins here I come!

It isn't _just_ Tux Racer :).

in message <[email protected]>, Mark
Stammers ('[email protected]') wrote:

> Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>> in message <[email protected]>, Mark
>> Stammers ('[email protected]') wrote:
>>
>> > Hey, I've had a great idea! Lets put aside areas within towns and
>> > cities, cover them in grass and trees, put in the odd lake,
>> > possibly
>> > even a dedicated playground. What the hell, lets be radical-even
>> > ban
>> > cars from them. I've even thought of a name - we could call these
>> > things parks.
>> >
>> > Maybe I've been spoiled living in leafy rustic Birmingham, but
>> > there aren't many places that are more than 10-15 minutes on foot
>> > from a
>> > park. If kids are trusted to play safely unsupervised in the
>> > street then they can certainly make it to the park.

>> Do you like to have your four-year-olds fifteen minutes' walk away
>> from home?

> What the *********** are your four-year-olds doing even 1 minute away
> from home let alone 15 minutes without your supervision?

When I was four we played mostly in the water-meadows or on the village
green, or in the graveyard or the vicarage garden (the garden was huge
and wild and the vicar tolerant); but sometimes in the street (and to
get to the green we had to cross the road). Supervision (if at all) was
usually by other children aged about six (specifically my elder sister
and her friends). Sometimes my two year old sister would be with us,
usually not. We'd be up to half an hour (but more usually ten minutes)
away from home.

Your problem with this is?

;; IE 3 is dead, but Netscape 4 still shambles about the earth,
;; wreaking a horrific vengeance upon the living
;; anonymous

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 23:07:25 +0100, Stevie D
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Robert Bruce wrote:
>
>> few years, when she's older and a little more street-wise, I will see Tegwen
>> out there playing with her friends. I will *fight* to prevent this public

>... you have a daughter called "Tegwen" ??

http://www.babynamenetwork.com/detail.cfm?name=Tegwen&gender=Female

A rather beautiful name I think.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain