Think Of The Children! No, really.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:10:55 +0100, David Hansen
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>I reject people taking things to stupid extremes.

See the rest of the post: these are handwringers, and they are equally
dangerous wherever they apply their misguidedly exaggerated sense of
right and wrong.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Jon Senior wrote:
> Just zis Guy, you know? [email protected] opined the following...
>
>>And presumably rejecting along the way the reasons why political
>>correctness started in the first place, namely the routine use of
>>bigoted and derogatory language?

> The stated aim is good. The action upon it is appalling. I'm with David
> in that the concept of political correctness has been taken to extremes
> by everyone except those for whom it was never necessary. Words may be
> how it they are expressed, but a bigoted view does not go away when you
> *****-foot around the language.
>
> Jon

Like all good things it can be taken to ludicrous extremes such as this
weeks story about the WDA banning the words "nit-picking" and
"brainstorming". I find it deeply worrying though to find myself
echoing a recent speech by Michael Howard ;-(

Tony

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:11:29 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>> And presumably rejecting along the way the reasons why political
>> correctness started in the first place, namely the routine use of
>> bigoted and derogatory language?

>The stated aim is good. The action upon it is appalling. I'm with David
>in that the concept of political correctness has been taken to extremes
>by everyone except those for whom it was never necessary. Words may be
>how it they are expressed, but a bigoted view does not go away when you
>*****-foot around the language.

Newspeak lives :)

On the other hand, removal of certain words from currency does have an
effect in making it plain that their use is not acceptable in polite
society. Some people will still use racially derogatory language, but
you will not hear it as often in the media.

I think British society is more tolerant these days. The fact that my
father laughed at Alf Garnett and Love Thy Neighbour while I am too
uncomfortable about their bigotry is probably a good sign. My father
is not an evil man, but he thought nothing of using terms which black
people genuinely find deeply offensive, because it was what he grew up
with. O tempora, o mores.

I don't support these things going to ridiculous lengths either, but
"for differing values of ridiculous". How hard is it to paint the
edge of a door in a public building in a contrasting colour so someone
visually impaired does not walk into it?

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:51:54 +0100, "dwb" <[email protected]>
wrote in message <[email protected]>:

>In a nutshell, I sometimes wish this group could be a little more
>self-critical and a whole lot less righteous.

I see nothing but condemnation here for Pavement Petes and stealth
cyclists, the while understanding that their behaviour is as much a
product as a cause of danger.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 11:27:57 GMT, Sniper8052 <[email protected]>
wrote in message <opsfynhed62wix5t@hogwarts-83efbf>:

>the figures published by the goverment state that in a very confused
>manner. It is not complicated at all; unless you wish to prove a
>particular argument from your point of view and set out to do so by
>manhandleing the figures with phrases like 4,100 dead or injured. There
>were not 4,100 dead or injured there were 171 dead + X injured. Half of
>those were not pedestrian injuries and some of the 171 would have been
>passengers in a vehicle and not pedestrians.

I am at a loss to understand what point you are trying to make. The
number of children injured as motor vehicle occupants is about the
same as the number who are injured as pedestrians, but I can't see
what bearing that has on the matter.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:51:54 +0100, dwb <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ian Smith wrote:
> > I don't know what your "yes" is referring to, so I asked.
> > I don't think it's a difficult concept to grasp.
> >
> > Are you going to answer the question?

> I already did if you applied a bit of logic to it - ie the close to
> impossible nature of one person being able to push a car any distance.

You didn't make any such comment.

> Yes, the comment about dismounting a bicycle was a "strawman" as you put
> it - however the intent was to try and convey that changes to laws/areas
> apply to _Everyone_ - including cyclists - therefore if things change (ever)
> and cyclists are negatively affected, then we should accept that, as much as
> any other means of transport making use of the road.

Absolutely. I didn't see anyone suggesting otherwise. I have no
problem whatsoever giving priority to pedestrians where that is the
law - I do so every time I use one of teh two main routes my commute
takes me, since it's a shared use path. Why do you assume otherwise?
Specifically, why do you decide to assume that I would break teh law?

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:20:32 +0100, Jon Senior
<[email protected]>:

>> I conclude therefore the law to be that the public highway is a public
>> place which the public may enjoy for any reasonable purpose, provided the
>> activity in question does not amount to a public or private nuisance and
>> does not obstruct the highway by unreasonably impeding the primary right
>> of the public to "pass and repass"..
>> DPP Vs Webb

>The beauty of British law being that the above is valid for as long as
>it is supported in a case. Should a judge overturn that for whatever
>reason then a new precident will exist. It is no more "hard-and-fast"
>than a dictionary definition.

It also hinges on the definition of what is reasonable. Requiring
drivers to slow down in order that residents can go about their
business strikes me as anything but unreasonable.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? [email protected] opined the following...
> Newspeak lives :)
>
> On the other hand, removal of certain words from currency does have an
> effect in making it plain that their use is not acceptable in polite
> society. Some people will still use racially derogatory language, but
> you will not hear it as often in the media.
>
> I think British society is more tolerant these days.

I was thinking of saying this, but was afraid of being shouted down. I
do find (Apologies to the Scots here who probably don't fit the
following generalisation), that the Scottish tend to display a higher
level of overt racism than I've seen anywhere else. Certainly I've seen
/ heard a far higher level of racist abuse and racist attitudes amongst
a range of classes of people here in Edinburgh than I've encountered
anywhere else I've been.

> The fact that my
> father laughed at Alf Garnett and Love Thy Neighbour while I am too
> uncomfortable about their bigotry is probably a good sign. My father
> is not an evil man, but he thought nothing of using terms which black
> people genuinely find deeply offensive, because it was what he grew up
> with. O tempora, o mores.

My gran is the same. And while it embarrasses me to hear it, I can
tolerate it (The wonders of blood relations!).

> I don't support these things going to ridiculous lengths either, but
> "for differing values of ridiculous". How hard is it to paint the
> edge of a door in a public building in a contrasting colour so someone
> visually impaired does not walk into it?

Values of ridiculous I object to:

A publishing house refusing to publish a book under its title of "Things
Are Looking Black".
Being told off for referring to someone as "the black sheep of the
family".
Hearing a wheel-chair bound person referred to as "differently-abled".

These stand out over and above "normal" politcal correctness simply
because in my world, the behaviour that stops you using bigoted /
derogatory terms is normal and does not need a definition.

Jon

Just zis Guy, you know? [email protected] opined the following...
> I think Thatchler's main contribution was to remove the feelings of
> guilt which selfishness used to engender; she said it was perfectly OK
> not to give a toss about anyone but yourself.

Paraphrased from the Dice Man by Luke Rhinehart (I don't have my copy to
hand):

------
"So. You regularly kidnap, rape and kill children from this park in
Harlem? Presumably you'd like me to help you stop?"
"Not at all doctor. I'd like you to stop me from feeling guilty."
------

Jon

On 16/10/04 4:37 pm, in article [email protected],
"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

> How hard is it to paint the
> edge of a door in a public building in a contrasting colour so someone
> visually impaired does not walk into it?

I would have thought that if you didn't want someone with poor sight to walk
into a door you'd paint it the same colour as the rest of the wall...

Though I am with you on the DDA bits and pieces. I think the local climbing
wall got an exemption even though the building has no wheelchair access..

...d

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:07:29 +0100, Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]>
wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:44:30 GMT, Sniper8052 <[email protected]>
> wrote in message <opsfyioywv2wix5t@hogwarts-83efbf>:
>
>>> Residential roads are the largest areas of public open space in most
>>> communities.

>> They are not open spaces they are roads.

> They are open spaces. Public rights of way, not rights of way
> exclusively for motorised traffic. And the success of home zones in
> both saving lives and building communities suggests that it is
> precisely the idea of roads as car-owned space which is the problem.

I say they are roads but I will qualify that by your argument accepting
that some roads can be amenities where the passage of vehicles can be
reasonably reduced or eliminated except for access to allow deliveries and
residents to enter premisis.

You snipped a bit here which illustrated that I was not wholly opposed to
'play streets' which was unfair.

>> I have no prob so long as people
>> remember that and act accordingly. Where I live the children get out of
>> the road when a car comes and continue after it has passed. If play
>> streets are going to be set up on dead ends fine that causes no one any
>> great problems but they must be signed and cordoned.

> With guard towers and barbed wire on the gates to keep paedos out,
> presumably. It's a depressing vision you have there, where the
> Almighty Car has more rights over a community's roads than do the
> members of that community.

No, so the motorists know they can't go down there, a swinging gate with a
padlock would be enough perhaps with a sign to say when the road was open
and closed to traffic.

>>> But cars in massively greater numbers, even though most of the
>>> children have been scared off the streets by traffic danger.

>> Yes hence we need to adjust our ideas of personal liberties to account
>> for
>> the increase in vehicular traffic as I said.

> Again, I think we differ on precisely which personal liberties should
> be curtailed. In my view the liberty of the car driver, as the one
> very evidently bringing most of the danger to the situation, is the
> better candidate for restriction.

It is my belief that parents should be responsible for their children at
all times which includes whilst at play and that drivers have a
responsibility, a very great responsibility to act and drive sensibly.
Unfortunately very many parents and very many drivers ignor their
responsibilities. I do not think that either group can exclusivly blame
the other when each must share a portion of the responsibility.

>>> Except for children, our child casualty record is poor, and that
>>> despite the fact that large numbers of children are simply not allowed
>>> to walk anywhere at all. Some suggest that this restriction,
>>> inhibiting their learnign of road sense, contributes to the
>>> statistics.

Child casualties fell by 8 per cent. The number of children killed or
seriously injured in 2003 was 4,100 (down 11 per cent on 2002). Of those,
2,381 were pedestrians, 16 per cent down on 2002. There were 171 child
fatalities, 4 per cent fewer than in 2002.

>> I think they are pretty safe for all. If parents choose to ignor their
>> responsibilities to educate and supervise their children 'accidents'
>> will
>> continue to happen.

> And I believe you are profoundly wrong. First, the people who are
> ignoring their responsibilities are in the main the drivers not the
> parents; most parents have responded to the increasing arrogation of
> ownership of public highways by motor traffic, and this response has
> usually taken the form of restricting their children's independent
> mobility (an effect also experienced by the elderly).

> Second, the
> measure of "safety" which you use includes as a benefit the fact that
> many roads are now so dangerous that only motorists dare use them.

Can you explain your argument in relation to what you think I am saying
here as I don't understand what your trying to say IE .. Second, the
measure of "safety" which you use..
Ta. :)
> Do you honestly think that urban roads are safer now than they were in
> the 1950s when children could play a game of football in the street?

No. I say the road environment has changed because we in general (not as
motorist and the other lot) expect a greater level of personal freedom
through private transportation and this means we need to change the way we
interact with the road system or, through discussion, the way we manage
that road system.

> Meyer Hillman has discussed this many times. In other European
> countries they manage to achieve substantially lower child road death
> rates with much less restriction on independent mobility.

Could you example this I seek more knowledge.

>>> I suspect we differ on what consititues "beyond all reasonable hope of
>>> avoidance." In my view when you are driving down a residential street
>>> or past a school, the fact that a child may run out is reasonably
>>> foreseeable. It seems to me that many people blame children for
>>> behaving like children, and rather than making it safer for them to
>>> behave like children they woud rather restrict their mobility or
>>> require them to behave like adults. I think that is sad.

>> Think it sad if you like but a road is a road not a playground.

> What is sad is that you, and many others, apparently view the
> existence of a right of way as automatically excluding the possibility
> of any other use.

Hmmmm, Thinks... I did give some thought to play streets above but fair
point I think parents should take their children to the park, to 'play' at
friends houses for walks to the shops etc untill they are safe in the
traffic environment. I was raised to think of this as normal behavior.

> Where this has been challenged, with home zones for
> example, the result has been an improvement in both traffic safety and
> community spirit. I have no desire to pursue the American model where
> one lives in a series of air conditioned boxes, some of which may be
> motorised to facilitate movement between the others without the
> tedious inconvenience of exercise.

:)

>> I suspect
>> we do not differ at all on what constitutes "beyond all reasonable hope
>> of
>> avoidance." My comment was directed at those little darlings ranging
>> from
>> eight up that I collect from playing chicken on the dual carriageway by
>> hiding behind road signs and then return home, well for a long time I
>> did. Now I take the little darlings to the station and make the parents
>> come and get them along with a stern warning that social services will
>> be
>> called if they do it again.

> This is not representative of the majority case. When I was a lad
> some of my acquaintances were wont to play chicken on the local
> railway line. We thought they were mad, and still do. The deliberate
> seeking of danger is different - yet in some ways it is not a surprise
> that they would do this, after a lifetime of being told that cars are
> scary monsters and roads are part of some dangerous adult world; they
> have not learned road sense because they are discouraged from doing
> so, but they see the road as some sort of forbidden territory.
> Children always push boundaries and we rarely do them a service in the
> long term by being excessively protective.

No it's not representative but it accounts for some of the figures and
shows some accidents are reasonably unavoidable.

>>> When I was at primary school I thought nothing of riding my bike a
>>> couple of miles to see my friends, and some of the journey was along
>>> the A5. I didn't get killed (obviously) and I was far more
>>> independent than my children are.

>> I too went to primary school by myself, down to the crossing lady,
>> cross,
>> down to the next crossing lady and there I was. I knew how to cross the
>> road but I still got it wrong age 10, it was my fault, I thought I could
>> make it so I ran across the road in front of a large car. Bang, I
>> remember
>> seeing it coming toward me and flying through the air. Guess who it was
>> :) Only the minister of education in his Rolls Royce! Took me home and
>> everything. But it was definitly my fault.

It was saturday, I ran out from between parked vehicles and really I
didn't give him a chance, I knew I had got it wrong but it was too late by
then.

> Really? You don't think he bears any responsibility, having
> presumably seen you about to cross and knowing there was a school
> nearby? One of the most pernicious myths of road "safety" is that
> when a child runs out, the driver can do nothing. Sometimes that may
> be true, but often the driver should already have taken action to
> ensure that if this reasonably foreseeable event should happen, a
> crash can be averted.

Yes in all cases a driver should be driving at a speed condusive to their
stopping within the distance they can see to be clear, if they are and
they still can't stop in time you have given that there may be some
occasions where the 'accident' may have been unavoidable.

> Remember who gets all the benefit from the presence of their car on
> the road, and who brings all the danger to the situation

Possibly most but unfairly all unless you ban cars completely.

>>> Road traffic crashes account for one in ten child injury admissions to
>>> hospital, and half of all child injury fatalities.

>> So there are 342 child fatalities in the whole UK over 1 year?

> Read it again. The major killers of children are congenital defects
> and cancer (which puts your concerns about traffic into some sort of
> perspective), but an "accident" involving a car is many times more
> likely to result in death than any of the other forms of accident
> which children suffer.
>
> Sources for this are HASS/LASS and DoH admissions data.

Good evidenced.

>> Self caused: IE Me running out, Kids playing chicken...

> In the same way that the victims of bullying are "self caused" by
> failing to run away?

That's not fair or relevent.

>>> No, thanks. A child being distracted as they cross the road after
>>> school is not "self-caused", it is reasonably foreseeable and should
>>> be allowed for.

>> Yes. Figures used were taken to illustrate statistical analysis. 50%
>> being the rough differance between non pedestrian and pedestrian
>> accidents.

> 2002/2003 injury admissions for England:
>
> Cycling: 5,804 (approx. 50/50 road and off-road)
> Pedestrian: 3,429
> Other land transport: 3,465
> Non-transport: 77,512

ROAD CASUALTIES GREAT BRITAIN 2003: MAIN RESULTS

The number of deaths rose, by 2 per cent from 3,431 in 2002 to 3,508 in
2003. 37,215 people were killed or seriously injured in 2003, 6 per cent
fewer than in 2002. There were 290,607 road casualties in Great Britain in
2003, 4 per cent fewer than in 2002.

Road traffic levels were 1 per cent higher than in 2002 and consequently
the overall casualty rate per 100 million vehicle kilometres was 5 per
cent lower than in 2002.

Child casualties fell by 8 per cent. The number of children killed or
seriously injured in 2003 was 4,100 (down 11 per cent on 2002). Of those,
2,381 were pedestrians, 16 per cent down on 2002. There were 171 child
fatalities, 4 per cent fewer than in 2002.

Pedestrian casualties were 36,405 in 2003, 6 per cent lower than 2002.
There were 774 pedestrian deaths, about the same level as 2002. Serious
injuries fell by 9 per cent to 7,159.

The number of pedal cyclists killed fell by 12 per cent to 114. Total
casualties among pedal cyclists fell marginally in 2003 to 17,033.

There were 28,411 two-wheeled motor vehicle user casualties in 2003, 58
more than in 2002. The number of seriously injured increased by 1 per cent
to 6,959 but the number killed increased by 14 per cent to 693.

The number of deaths among car users in 2003 was 1,769, 1 per cent more
than in the previous year. The number of seriously injured fell by 9 per
cent to 15,522. Total casualties among car users were 188,342, 5 per cent
lower than 2002. Provisional traffic estimates show a 1 per cent rise in
car and taxi traffic.

There were 214,030 road accidents involving personal injury in 2003, 3 per
cent less than in 2002. Of these, 32,160 accidents involved death or
serious injury.

wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 09:44:30 GMT, Sniper8052 <[email protected]>
> wrote in message <opsfyioywv2wix5t@hogwarts-83efbf>:

Continued..............

>> Everyone has responsibilities I am not suggesting otherwise.

> But the degree of responsibility must be highest for those who pose
> most danger to others.
>
>> I am
>> suggesting that if adults want to have children they must be responsible
>> for them all the time. Children are not toys or possessions if parents
>> do
>> not want to be bothered to allow time to take them to the park or
>> swimming
>> pool or to play with them perhaps they should not have children in the
>> first place and should get on with earning their DINK lifestyle.

> So you don't feel that independent mobility for your children is a
> valid aspiration for parents? You don't believe that children have a
> right to be able to go and see their friends without being escorted by
> an adult? That's a very sad view of the world.

I am suggesting that parents are responsible to educate their children in
the correct use of the roads and pavements untill they are able to cope
with the demands that these environments place upon them. At that point
the parent will have fulfilled their responsibility as parents to
supervise their childs use of the road. The age at which the child
assimilates that information will differ form child to child but I do not
think that very young children should be allowed out alone even if they
have assimilated that information as children and small children at that
they may as you point out act like a child in distraction of their
immediate environment. I would hold to this view no matter if the road
was a road as in use now or a play street as may exist in the future.

> My ten-year-old son
> went to the shops this morning to buy some rolls because he fancied a
> bacon roll for lunch. He likes to go to the library, too, and run
> round to play with his friend two doors down. He is hoping that by
> next summer he'll be allowed to cycle half a mile to see another
> friend, and he is keen to be allowed to make his own way to school
> (albeit with other children in a group).

Good for him :)

> He seems to be fitter and healthier than many of the other children in
> his class. I wonder why that might be?

Mine seem healthier and more intelligent for not going to school at all.
As they were bullied to the point of having glass placed in their
lunchboxes. Must be the cycling and walking and Karate and camping and ...

>>> Yes, I have children, and yes I allow them to play in the street. And
>>> I have worked hard to ensure that my street is safe enough for them to
>>> do so, mainly by excluding non-residents.

>> Yes but then you don't strike me as the sort of person I have mentioned
>> above

> I don't think there are many such.

There are lots of parents like this. They do however all love their
children. They just can't be bothered with them untill it's to late, one
way or another.

> And I think a parent who never
> allows their child to gain independence is doing them a great
> disservice. Many middle-class parents chauffeur their children
> everywhere, building an assumption that nowhere is reachable without a
> car. Fat Land here we come...

I never said that, I agree that to never allow a child to gain independent
experience would be very damaging. But that independence must be after
the child has the skills to cope with the local road environs in the
presence of an adult not as a sink or swim experience which is so often
the case I see.

> I recommend you read Meyer Hillman and John Whitelegg's "One False
> Move".
>
> Guy

Now you see with Guy he at least puts forward an argument:)

Sniper8052

Ian Smith wrote:
> Absolutely. I didn't see anyone suggesting otherwise. I have no
> problem whatsoever giving priority to pedestrians where that is the
> law - I do so every time I use one of teh two main routes my commute
> takes me, since it's a shared use path. Why do you assume otherwise?
> Specifically, why do you decide to assume that I would break teh law?

Why do you assume I'm talking about *you*?

Is your nickname Marvin?

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:12:24 +0100, David Martin
<BD9706F8.23B52%[email protected]>:

>I would have thought that if you didn't want someone with poor sight to walk
>into a door you'd paint it the same colour as the rest of the wall...

Oh no, not allowed to do that any more. New building regs, y'see.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 17:12:24 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<BD9706F8.23B52%[email protected]>:

>Though I am with you on the DDA bits and pieces. I think the local climbing
>wall got an exemption even though the building has no wheelchair access..

Well quite. I have a problem with the DDA being used as an excuse to
close public facilities. The words "reasonable steps" seem to me to
give any council an out if the cost of converting a building is truly
unaffordable.

Not that the DDA deadline came as any surprise, you understand; they
have had some years to get their house in order.

DNA to the fore again: "All the planning charts and demolition orders
have been on display in your local planning department in Alpha
Centuri for fifty of your Earth years, so you've had plenty of time to
lodge any formal complaint and it's far too late to start making a
fuss about it now."

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>My short foray into Debian with its tempting "why not try it alongside
>your Windows first" enticement ground to a halt when I reached the
>section in the manual about once its installed you won't be able to boot
>to anything else so if you want to use Windows start manually editing
>the lilo configuration files. Don't think too many will get past that
>and thank God I read that bit in the manual first.

Current releases (well, prereleases) detect other OS installations
automatically and add them to the boot menu.

If you actually want to try a Debian based linux without touching your
installed OS in any way, why not try one of the bootable CD based
distributions? Knoppix being the canonical one, but there are many
others...

cheers,

Phil

In article <BD96E966.23B0D%[email protected]>,
David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
>I got compromised a couple of days ago on my home server. Not rooted, but by
>the looks of it a simple guess the userid/pw via ssh. I'm runnign Mandrake
>10.

Ouch.

>The case for locking down the family PC (does the firewall router job as
>well as a desktop) and getting a new PC for them to use as a client is
>getting stronger.
>
>The trick at the moment is trying to keep a userid/password that my 6yo can
>use whilst allowing me to SSH in from work..

Use pam to prevent ssh logins to her userid.

Specifically, edit /etc/security/access.conf like so:

+daughter:LOCAL
-daughter:ALL

and make sure that

account required pam_access.so

is in /etc/pam.d/common-account

(if Mandrake is like current Debian that is. If not, then the above
line should probably be in /etc/pam.d/ssh ; /etc/pam.d/common-accout
is included by /etc/pam.d/ssh under Debian sid)

I have several user accounts for various purposes which are barred
from remote logins in this way.

cheers,

Phil

<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 16/10/04 4:37 pm, in article [email protected],
>"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> How hard is it to paint the
>> edge of a door in a public building in a contrasting colour so someone
>> visually impaired does not walk into it?

>I would have thought that if you didn't want someone with poor sight to walk
>into a door you'd paint it the same colour as the rest of the wall...
>
>Though I am with you on the DDA bits and pieces. I think the local climbing
>wall got an exemption even though the building has no wheelchair access..

I knew a chap who set up a climbing wall in a disused water tower/pump
station in London. When I last saw him, a few years ago, he was being
told that he couldn't open any facility within the building that
wasn't served by a lift. Don't know how/if he got round it - so if
anyone knows the Castle, does it have a cafe at the top and is there a
lift?

"Ian Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004, Nathaniel Porter <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > "Ian Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > >
> > > Why? What fundamental reason is there for motor vehicles to have
> > > priority in towns?

> > The reason why traffic should have priority over children playing (but

not
> > transporting themselves) on major roads is because this traffic needs
> > relatively unimpeded freedom of movement to in order to transport goods

and
> > people for the benefit of society and the economy,

> The economy is not something to be improved for its own good - a good
> economy is good because it (might) improve the standard of living for
> people. If improving teh economy is at teh direct expense of teh
> standard of living, then (self-evidently, I'd say) someone has lost
> touch of what the point is.

Its a balance isn't it? If something has a direct expence to some that is
less than the wider benefit for everyone, then I think anoyone *not*
allowing the "thing" has lost touch of what the point is.

Now the ability to move goods and people, within reason, allows for a
stronger economy, which leads to more revenue for the Treasure to be spent
on schools, hospitals, playgrounds, schemes to get motorists (and others) to
think of others more etc.

> > What fundamental benefit is there in allowing children to play in major
> > roads if they could play in minor roads anyway?

> But they can't, because with the exception of a very few cul-de-sacs,
> almost all roads are taken over by motor-vehicles. If they're not
> driving through, they're littered about and games are frowned upon for
> fear that something will damage the precious tin boxes.

I know they can't. If you bothered to read my posts you'll have read
repeatedly that I this, IMV, needs to change.

> > I'm beginning to think you're more interested in obstructing motor

vehicles,
> > rather than making sensible compromise to maximise fair and reasonable

use
> > of our roads.

> On teh contrary, your view appears to be that motor-vehicles should
> rightly take proiority over anything and everything else. For
> ecxample, I propose that children and cars share the street -0 with
> none excluded, and you propose that the children should "walk round
> teh corner" - in other words, leave the street in question for teh
> exclusive use of traffic. It's you, not I, that is rejecting a shared
> (ie fair) use of street space.

That's not my point at all. My point is that some roads should be reserved
for the needs of transport, motorised or not. I have no problem with
children using roads for the purpose of getting from A to B - but this isn't
playing in the street.

Maybe I have the wrong vision of children playing in the street, but I
imagine children playing football, or cricket, or tag or whatever. This is
fine on minor roads - but to allow or encourage this on major roads would
seriously inhibit peoples ability to travel **WHATEVER THEIR MODE** - and
that applies to motorists, cyclists, child cyclists, pedestrians, child
pedestrians, bus users, child bus users, and loads of other road users
besides. And for what, if children could simply walk around the corner?

And nowhere in this thread, and I mean nowhere, have I said that motor
vehicles should have priority over anything and everything else. What I have
said is that the needs of traffic (which is partly, but not entirely, made
up of motor vehicles) are more important on major roads than the need of
children to play if they have miles upon miles upon miles of minor road (in
addition to parks, playgrounds and so on) for them to play on, and any
benefit from allowing children to play on major roads in a situation where
they can play on minor roads (not that anyone has illustrated any
significant one to me) is much, much less than the significant disbenefit
that is the disruption to traffic (all of it, not just motor vehicles) , and
thus it would be pointless to allow children to play on major roads.

And I stand by my opinion of you.

> in message <[email protected]>, Nathaniel Porter
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>
> > The reason why traffic should have priority over children playing (but
> > not transporting themselves) on major roads is because this traffic
> > needs relatively unimpeded freedom of movement to in order to
> > transport goods and people for the benefit of society and the economy,
> > and children can (or at least should be able to) walk around the
> > corner to the nearest minor road and play there.

> I know I am at some risk of arguing for the sake of;

:)

> however, I find
> this really unpersuasive. The 'freedom of movement [of] goods and
> people' is incredibly inefficiently and wastefully used at present. The
> overwhelming majority of journeys are pointless and simply do not need
> to be made at all, while a large proportion of the rest are needlessly
> extended.

I think that is all true - but I do think that the necessary/sensible
journeys could do without being hindered for something of minimal benefit.

>All this is a consequence of ridiculously cheap fuel prices.

I don't think its that simple, there are other factors IMV i.e. planning
policy.

<examples snipped>

> If all the simply wasteful traffic were removed from our roads there
> would be little left and I think the issue of children playing in the
> road would be much less of a problem.

Quite possibly. Having said that, many major routes were still busy enough
for them to be inappropriate places for children to play before cars became
a major form of transport (or indeed, before cars were invented at all), so
I don't think it would make the problem go away.