Think Of The Children! No, really.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:59:10 GMT, Sniper8052 <[email protected]>
wrote in message <opsfy2tfnj2wix5t@hogwarts-83efbf>:

>>> They are not open spaces they are roads.

>> They are open spaces. Public rights of way, not rights of way
>> exclusively for motorised traffic. And the success of home zones in
>> both saving lives and building communities suggests that it is
>> precisely the idea of roads as car-owned space which is the problem.

>I say they are roads but I will qualify that by your argument accepting
>that some roads can be amenities where the passage of vehicles can be
>reasonably reduced or eliminated except for access to allow deliveries and
>residents to enter premisis.

And in some cases blurring the boundaries - de-prioritising motor
traffic - has reduced injuries enormously, improved the local
environment and given people their community back. Turning the clock
back half a century, in effect, to the days when the private car was
not automatically assumed to be master of every square inch of
highway.

>You snipped a bit here which illustrated that I was not wholly opposed to
>'play streets' which was unfair.

Not really. You are in favour of little ghettos of community
ownership of roads, as long as the Almighty Car is not hindered
anywhere else. You still have it the wrong way round. The roads
which run through a community are part of that community; fast through
traffic is destructive of that community (ask any villager with an A
road running past their door) and represents a fundamental failure to
respect those into whose environment we intrude.

>> It's a depressing vision you have there, where the
>> Almighty Car has more rights over a community's roads than do the
>> members of that community.

>No, so the motorists know they can't go down there, a swinging gate with a
>padlock would be enough perhaps with a sign to say when the road was open
>and closed to traffic.

The presence of houses is to sufficient to alert you to the possible
presence of children? You want gated communities?

Essentially two sets of needs conflict here; you believe the needs of
the more powerful party should be paramount, I believe the needs of
the local people should have precedence.

>> I think we differ on precisely which personal liberties should
>> be curtailed.

>It is my belief that parents should be responsible for their children at
>all times which includes whilst at play and that drivers have a
>responsibility, a very great responsibility to act and drive sensibly.
>Unfortunately very many parents and very many drivers ignor their
>responsibilities. I do not think that either group can exclusivly blame
>the other when each must share a portion of the responsibility.

I am not exclusively blaming either side, I am suggesting that the
balance of responsibility is currently wrong. Wrong in that drivers
get most of the benefit and bring almost all the danger, and wrong in
that it is ridiculous to suggest that children should be required to
display adult levels of judgment, or imprisoned in their own homes
until they can.

>Child casualties fell by 8 per cent. The number of children killed or
>seriously injured in 2003 was 4,100 (down 11 per cent on 2002). Of those,
>2,381 were pedestrians, 16 per cent down on 2002. There were 171 child
>fatalities, 4 per cent fewer than in 2002.

Don't tell P**l S****h, those casualty reductions were mostly on the
kinds of roads where speed cameras are most common...

>> the
>> measure of "safety" which you use includes as a benefit the fact that
>> many roads are now so dangerous that only motorists dare use them.

>Can you explain your argument in relation to what you think I am saying
>here as I don't understand what your trying to say IE .. Second, the
>measure of "safety" which you use..

The road "safety" lobby like to use casualties as a measure of how
safe the roads are. So if a road is so dangerous that pedestrians and
cyclists are scared to use it, that is counted as a safety benefit,
even though there is a significant loss of utility for a large number
of people. H Alker Tripp suggested in the 1930s that pedestrian and
cyclist traffic could never share the road safely with motor traffic,
and his solution was to give the roads over to the motorists and
exclude the rest. We don't seem to have moved on very far, except
that these days not many people care that pensioners are too scared of
traffic to walk to the shops.

>> Do you honestly think that urban roads are safer now than they were in
>> the 1950s when children could play a game of football in the street?

>No. I say the road environment has changed because we in general (not as
>motorist and the other lot) expect a greater level of personal freedom
>through private transportation and this means we need to change the way we
>interact with the road system or, through discussion, the way we manage
>that road system.

That's a fudge. The roads are generally more dangerous; there are
more, and more aggressive, drivers than ever before. The fact that
they look safer on paper is merely a testament to the fact that people
have been scared off.

>> Meyer Hillman has discussed this many times. In other European
>> countries they manage to achieve substantially lower child road death
>> rates with much less restriction on independent mobility.

>Could you example this I seek more knowledge.

I suggest you read a book called "One False Move" by Mayer Hillman and
John Whitelegg (Policy Studies Institute, 1990, ISBN 0853744947. He
puts it much better than I could.

>> What is sad is that you, and many others, apparently view the
>> existence of a right of way as automatically excluding the possibility
>> of any other use.

>Hmmmm, Thinks... I did give some thought to play streets above but fair
>point I think parents should take their children to the park, to 'play' at
>friends houses for walks to the shops etc untill they are safe in the
>traffic environment. I was raised to think of this as normal behavior.

Quite. I was raised to think that walking to the park by myself was
normal behaviour, by the age of ten at least. So what has been lost
is a degree of independence. What effect is that likely to have later
in life?

[chicken on the A road is not representative]
>No it's not representative but it accounts for some of the figures and
>shows some accidents are reasonably unavoidable.

Some, but in my view many fewer than are generally believed. There is
a real tendency these days to consider road fatalities as "accidents"
- some kind of act of God, but according to the police around 90% of
fatal crashes are caused by driver error, which suggests that we
should spend much more time and effort working on drivers' hazard
perception. More powerful, quieter, "safer" cars lead people to drive
faster and with less care, because the risk to them is lower (see
Risk, by John Adams).

>Yes in all cases a driver should be driving at a speed condusive to their
>stopping within the distance they can see to be clear, if they are and
>they still can't stop in time you have given that there may be some
>occasions where the 'accident' may have been unavoidable.

But where we differ is, I believe that in many residential streets you
should driver much slower than that. You should drive on the
assumption that a child may well emerge from between parked cars (and
notice that here the cars are a source of danger even when
stationary).

>> Remember who gets all the benefit from the presence of their car on
>> the road, and who brings all the danger to the situation

>Possibly most but unfairly all unless you ban cars completely.

It's not necessary to ban cars, only to ensure that the drivers are
behaving appropriately. Appropriately from the point of view of those
whose community they are driving through.

>>> Self caused: IE Me running out, Kids playing chicken...

>> In the same way that the victims of bullying are "self caused" by
>> failing to run away?

>That's not fair or relevent.

But it is. If I live in a residential road, and my children want to
cross the road, then they should not have to be escorted. Which is
better, to curtail the freedoms of children or to curtail the freedoms
of drivers? I am arguing for a swing of the pendulum away from the
long-term trend in favour of ever increasing freedom for drivers at
the expense of those least privileged in society.

>> 2002/2003 injury admissions for England:
>> Cycling: 5,804 (approx. 50/50 road and off-road)
>> Pedestrian: 3,429
>> Other land transport: 3,465
>> Non-transport: 77,512

>ROAD CASUALTIES GREAT BRITAIN 2003: MAIN RESULTS
>The number of deaths rose, by 2 per cent from 3,431 in 2002 to 3,508 in
>2003. 37,215 people were killed or seriously injured in 2003, 6 per cent
>fewer than in 2002. There were 290,607 road casualties in Great Britain in
>2003, 4 per cent fewer than in 2002.

And most of the additional deaths were on motorways and fast A roads,
and the group which suffered the largest increase in deaths was
motorcyclists. If you consider the roads which pedestrians are most
likely to use, they have continued to improve.

But as I said above, that may not be the right metric; as with
Australian cyclist head injury stats, it counts as a benefit those who
have been driven into their cars.

You may be assured that I am completely familiar with the road
casualty stats.

>> So you don't feel that independent mobility for your children is a
>> valid aspiration for parents? You don't believe that children have a
>> right to be able to go and see their friends without being escorted by
>> an adult? That's a very sad view of the world.

>I am suggesting that parents are responsible to educate their children in
>the correct use of the roads and pavements untill they are able to cope
>with the demands that these environments place upon them.

In other words, rather than restricting the drivers who derive the
benefit of private motoring and bring all the danger to the situation,
in recognition of the fact that children behave like children, they
should be imprisoned or supervised until they are capable of deferring
adequately to the dangers posed by adults.

A bleak view of the world and not one I share.

>> I don't think there are many [parents who let kids play with the traffic].

>There are lots of parents like this. They do however all love their
>children. They just can't be bothered with them untill it's to late, one
>way or another.

But once again you propose solving a problem with adult behaviour by
restricting the freedom of children.

>> And I think a parent who never
>> allows their child to gain independence is doing them a great
>> disservice. Many middle-class parents chauffeur their children
>> everywhere, building an assumption that nowhere is reachable without a
>> car. Fat Land here we come...

>I never said that, I agree that to never allow a child to gain independent
>experience would be very damaging. But that independence must be after
>the child has the skills to cope with the local road environs in the
>presence of an adult not as a sink or swim experience which is so often
>the case I see.

You can't suddenly produce a child aged X with road sense,
responsibility and judgment. It is learned, and it can only be
learned by giving gradually increasing freedom. The culture of total
deference to the Almighty Car stands as a huge barrier to that.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:30:59 +0100 someone who may be "Nathaniel
Porter" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Now the ability to move goods and people, within reason, allows for a
>stronger economy, which leads to more revenue for the Treasure to be spent
>on schools, hospitals, playgrounds, schemes to get motorists (and others) to
>think of others more etc.

So it ism claimed.

>My point is that some roads should be reserved
>for the needs of transport, motorised or not.

As has been said before, the road lobby already have such roads.

>I have no problem with
>children using roads for the purpose of getting from A to B - but this isn't
>playing in the street.

You assume these are separate activities.

>And for what, if children could simply walk around the corner?

In small villages there may well be no corner to walk around.

Some years ago the Scottish Office roads mob had a road to Damascus
experience. Lots of places in Scotland have one road running through
them. They were so surprised they printed a set of glossy books
about this fact, all to do with main road traffic calming.

>the needs of traffic (which is partly, but not entirely, made
>up of motor vehicles) are more important on major roads than the need of
>children to play if they have miles upon miles upon miles of minor road (in
>addition to parks, playgrounds and so on) for them to play on,

These minor roads are not full of fast moving motor vehicles?

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:01:02 +0100 someone who may be "Just zis Guy,
you know?" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I have a problem with the DDA being used as an excuse to
>close public facilities.

If someone uses the excuse of the DDA to close a building then all
the lights on your ******** detector should light up.

>The words "reasonable steps" seem to me to
>give any council an out if the cost of converting a building is truly
>unaffordable.

Indeed.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:53:34 +0100 someone who may be Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote this:-

>do find (Apologies to the Scots here who probably don't fit the
>following generalisation), that the Scottish tend to display a higher
>level of overt racism than I've seen anywhere else. Certainly I've seen
>/ heard a far higher level of racist abuse and racist attitudes amongst
>a range of classes of people here in Edinburgh than I've encountered
>anywhere else I've been.

The two worst examples of racist attitudes that I have ever come
across were when I was living in England.

The first was a Nigerian, talking about West Indians. This followed
the usual path of saying how clever the chiefs were in selling the
dregs of society at inflated prices to the stupid white men and that
these dregs had not been improved by their time in the Caribbean.

The second was a Jordanian, who uttered the words "these are not
people, these are Palestinians" to me. He then went on with a tirade
against Palestinians for a whole host of reasons too numerous to
repeat.

Of course to the politically correct I must be lying about both
things. It is only white anglo-saxon protestant males who would ever
express such opinions. Everyone else is a paragon of virtue.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

"David Hansen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 20:30:59 +0100 someone who may be "Nathaniel
> Porter" <[email protected]> wrote this:-
>
> >Now the ability to move goods and people, within reason, allows for a
> >stronger economy, which leads to more revenue for the Treasure to be

spent
> >on schools, hospitals, playgrounds, schemes to get motorists (and others)

> >think of others more etc.

> So it ism claimed.
>
> >My point is that some roads should be reserved
> >for the needs of transport, motorised or not.

> As has been said before, the road lobby already have such roads.

If you're refering to motorways, you need to reread my post

If, however, you are simply refering to existing major roads, then I agree.
I don't think that any roads need to be more made friendly to traffic
(motorised or not). (Most need to be more equal in how they accomodate
different classes of traffic to promote greater equality, but thats another
issue IMV).

> >I have no problem with
> >children using roads for the purpose of getting from A to B - but this

isn't
> >playing in the street.

> You assume these are separate activities.

OK, put it this way. Where children are taking part in an activity which
involves getting from A to B I have no problem with them using major roads.
Where they are playing sports like football, which do not involve getting
from A to B (as opposed to running around the area ABCD), then I don't think
that is appropriate on major roads.

> >And for what, if children could simply walk around the corner?

> In small villages there may well be no corner to walk around.

Then make a village green out of part of a nearby field. Or bypass the
village.

And villages aren't towns.

> Some years ago the Scottish Office roads mob had a road to Damascus
> experience. Lots of places in Scotland have one road running through
> them. They were so surprised they printed a set of glossy books
> about this fact, all to do with main road traffic calming.

If there is a point here, I'll be damned if I can find it.

> >the needs of traffic (which is partly, but not entirely, made
> >up of motor vehicles) are more important on major roads than the need of
> >children to play if they have miles upon miles upon miles of minor road

(in
> >addition to parks, playgrounds and so on) for them to play on,

> These minor roads are not full of fast moving motor vehicles?

Again, read my posts. Attitudes need to change so that minor roads

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:51:54 +0100 someone who may be "dwb"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I already did if you applied a bit of logic to it - ie the close to
>impossible nature of one person being able to push a car any distance.

Perhaps you would like to consider pushing a Brox or Windcheetah any
distance.

The supposedly cycle friendly City of Edinburgh Council insisted at
some roadworks that "cyclists dismount" signs were displayed. I
asked them at which roadworks they had insisted that "motorists get
out and push" signs were displayed. They have yet to answer my
question. I hope they have now grasped the point, but I doubt if
they have.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On 16/10/04 8:10 pm, in article [email protected],
"Philip Armstrong" <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <BD96E966.23B0D%[email protected]>,
> David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I got compromised a couple of days ago on my home server. Not rooted, but by
>> the looks of it a simple guess the userid/pw via ssh. I'm runnign Mandrake
>> 10.

> Ouch.
>
>> The case for locking down the family PC (does the firewall router job as
>> well as a desktop) and getting a new PC for them to use as a client is
>> getting stronger.
>>
>> The trick at the moment is trying to keep a userid/password that my 6yo can
>> use whilst allowing me to SSH in from work..

> Use pam to prevent ssh logins to her userid.
>
> Specifically, edit /etc/security/access.conf like so:
>
> +daughter:LOCAL
> -daughter:ALL
>
> and make sure that
>
> account required pam_access.so
>
> is in /etc/pam.d/common-account
>
> (if Mandrake is like current Debian that is. If not, then the above
> line should probably be in /etc/pam.d/ssh ; /etc/pam.d/common-accout
> is included by /etc/pam.d/ssh under Debian sid)
>
> I have several user accounts for various purposes which are barred
> from remote logins in this way.

Thanks, that is most helpful. I'll grab my copy of 'Linux System Security'
(or some such that describes PAM in detail and give it a whirl)

...d

On 16/10/04 8:30 pm, in article [email protected],
"Nathaniel Porter" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Now the ability to move goods and people, within reason, allows for a
> stronger economy, which leads to more revenue for the Treasure to be spent
> on schools, hospitals, playgrounds, schemes to get motorists (and others) to
> think of others more etc.

Or will we have a false economy by making use of facilities because they are
there rather than because they are efficient? A bit like reading news
instead of doing something productive ;-)

...d

Philip Armstrong wrote:

> Use pam to prevent ssh logins to her userid.
>
> Specifically, edit /etc/security/access.conf like so:
>
> +daughter:LOCAL
> -daughter:ALL
>
> and make sure that
>
> account required pam_access.so
>
> is in /etc/pam.d/common-account
>
> (if Mandrake is like current Debian that is. If not, then the above
> line should probably be in /etc/pam.d/ssh ; /etc/pam.d/common-accout
> is included by /etc/pam.d/ssh under Debian sid)

....and they wonder why M$ has the market cornered for operating system
software ;-)

Tony

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:59:10 GMT someone who may be Sniper8052
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> With guard towers and barbed wire on the gates to keep paedos out,
>> presumably. It's a depressing vision you have there, where the
>> Almighty Car has more rights over a community's roads than do the
>> members of that community.

>No, so the motorists know they can't go down there, a swinging gate with a
>padlock would be enough perhaps with a sign to say when the road was open
>and closed to traffic.

I suggest you take a look at Home Zones and in particular the
gateways to such places. I suggest that you are as capable of using
a search engine as I am, http://www.homezonenews.org.uk/ was what
came up first when I did so. The third entry was
http://www.homezones.org/, which I suspect is a year or two out of
date but still full of useful information.

No need for swinging gates, or notices to say when the road is
available to motorised traffic.

>Child casualties fell by 8 per cent.

Why?

If it was because parents restricted the independence of children
would you say this is good or bad?

>I don't understand what your trying to say IE .. Second, the
>measure of "safety" which you use..

It is explained in the references you have been pointed to. These
references are all standard works that should not come as a surprise
to anyone who has studied the subject. Not everyone agrees with
these references, but that is a different matter.

>> In the same way that the victims of bullying are "self caused" by
>> failing to run away?

>That's not fair or relevent.

I think you were unable to answer the point.

>ROAD CASUALTIES GREAT BRITAIN 2003: MAIN RESULTS

Ah, the road lobby's figures.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 14:56:48 GMT someone who may be Sniper8052
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>I didn't think your points worthy of a response,

Excellent. Usually the claim of someone who has no better arguments.

>you ignored any attempt
>to enter into a reasoned discussion by blatently ignoring the figures and
>opinions placed before you

The "figures and opinions" placed before me consisted of the
following:

No the figures published by the government state that in a very
confused manner. It is not complicated at all; unless you wish to
prove a particular argument from your point of view and set out to
do so by manhandleing the figures with phrases like 4,100 dead or
injured. There were not 4,100 dead or injured there were 171 dead +
X injured. Half of those were not pedestrian injuries and some of
the 171 would have been passengers in a vehicle and not pedestrians.

One of the reasons I did not respond to those "figures and opinions"
is that your claim that I used the phrase "4,100 dead". Feel free to
use a search engine to indicate where I did in this discussion.

>My definition of a road is in fact correct,

So you claim. See below.

>I conclude therefore the law to be

Assuming you are correct, so what?

The law is a rough approximation of the views of the powerful in
society. That does not mean that it is right, quite the reverse. At
one time the law had no objections to slavery, that does not mean
that the law was right.

The law is a very minor thing.

Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
>Philip Armstrong wrote:
>[snip pam configuration tips]
>
>...and they wonder why M$ has the market cornered for operating system
>software ;-)

Microsoft OSen don't permit remote logins at all (OK, they do if you
install something like Citrix, but to a first approximation...) so
they don't have to deal with the complexities involved. It's a bit
unfair to complain about the complexities of a feature in Linux (and
any other Unix-a-like which uses PAM) that MS doesn't even offer :)

I'm not suggesting that setting things up with these kind of fine
grained security settings is easy though. Far from it unfortunately.

Phil

David Martin wrote:
> On 16/10/04 8:10 pm, in article
> [email protected], "Philip Armstrong"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> In article <BD96E966.23B0D%[email protected]>,
>> David Martin <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> I got compromised a couple of days ago on my home server.
>>> Not rooted, but by the looks of it a simple guess the
>>> userid/pw via ssh. I'm runnign Mandrake
>>> 10.

>> Ouch.
>>
>>> The case for locking down the family PC (does the firewall
>>> router job as well as a desktop) and getting a new PC for
>>> them to use as a client is getting stronger.
>>>
>>> The trick at the moment is trying to keep a userid/password
>>> that my 6yo can use whilst allowing me to SSH in from work..

>> Use pam to prevent ssh logins to her userid.
>>
>> Specifically, edit /etc/security/access.conf like so:
>>
>> +daughter:LOCAL
>> -daughter:ALL
>>
>> and make sure that
>>
>> account required pam_access.so
>>
>> is in /etc/pam.d/common-account
>>
>> (if Mandrake is like current Debian that is. If not, then the
>> above line should probably be in /etc/pam.d/ssh ;
>> /etc/pam.d/common-accout is included by /etc/pam.d/ssh under
>> Debian sid)
>>
>> I have several user accounts for various purposes which are
>> barred from remote logins in this way.

> Thanks, that is most helpful. I'll grab my copy of 'Linux
> System Security' (or some such that describes PAM in detail
> and give it a whirl)
>
> ..d

Sorry to but in on this thread but how easy is it to use Linux I'm fed up
with XP. I'm seriously considering moving back to windows 98. I need
something that games will run on for the kids and surfing the internet.

I've got a copy of Knoppix that I downloaded but I can only run it from the
CD.
--
Mark

1x1 wheel, 3x2 wheels & 1x3 wheels.

David Hansen wrote:
> Of course to the politically correct I must be lying about both
> things. It is only white anglo-saxon protestant males who would ever
> express such opinions. Everyone else is a paragon of virtue.

I once mentioned to an Indian, during a conversation about househunting,
that I bought my house from a Pakistani family. The next thing she said
was: "Oh dear, was it filthy when you moved in?"

(As it happens, it was, but never having met any Pakistanis other than
the family that I bought the house from and possibly the odd shopkeeper
I have no real basis for expecting that Pakistani homes will be filthy.)

On Sat, 16 Oct 2004 22:10:26 +0100 someone who may be "Nathaniel
Porter" <[email protected]> wrote this:-

>Again, read my posts.

It is somewhat arrogant of you to assume that I have not done so.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On 17/10/04 12:08 am, in article [email protected],
"the.Mark" <[email protected]> wrote:

> David Martin wrote:
>> On 16/10/04 8:10 pm, in article
>> [email protected], "Philip Armstrong"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Ouch.

>>> Use pam to prevent ssh logins to her userid.
>>>
>>> Specifically, edit /etc/security/access.conf like so:
>>>
>>> +daughter:LOCAL
>>> -daughter:ALL
>>>
>>> and make sure that
>>>
>>> account required pam_access.so
>>>
>>> is in /etc/pam.d/common-account
>>>
>>> (if Mandrake is like current Debian that is. If not, then the
>>> above line should probably be in /etc/pam.d/ssh ;
>>> /etc/pam.d/common-accout is included by /etc/pam.d/ssh under
>>> Debian sid)
>>>
>>> I have several user accounts for various purposes which are
>>> barred from remote logins in this way.

>> Thanks, that is most helpful. I'll grab my copy of 'Linux
>> System Security' (or some such that describes PAM in detail
>> and give it a whirl)
>>
>> ..d

> Sorry to but in on this thread but how easy is it to use Linux I'm fed up
> with XP. I'm seriously considering moving back to windows 98. I need
> something that games will run on for the kids and surfing the internet.
>
> I've got a copy of Knoppix that I downloaded but I can only run it from the
> CD.

Mandrake is very easy to download and install. There are a few tools that
make it easier to keep things up to date as well.

From a desktop point of view there is very little difference to the naive
end user. The more advanced user will find things very different but should
be able to work out what is going on.

For basic WP/spreadsheet/email/web there are more tools than you can shake a
stick at and many of them are best in class. You get choice with what you
want to use and in most cases have all the plugins that you want.

It can do advanced things but requires you to have some understanding of the
systems. (eg. internet connection sharing is a point and click setup in
Mandrake, as is the firewall and setting up system services.)

FWIW my kids (6 and 7) happily use our linux machine and have done since
they were 4. In fact my daughter worked out how to change the colour of her
desktop and add icons to the panel in KDE before she could read.

The best thing (which XP has almost caught up with) is that each user is in
their own space and what they do has minimal impact on everyone else. And if
you want to run something in the background whilst the world and his dog are
using the system you can, unlike XP which only processes the logged in users
activities.

XP has also got its good points but I now find the Windows environment
extremely limiting.

It is difficult to say how you will take to Linux. It is different (and can
be different things to different people). I have been using it since about
97 as a work desktop (I used SGI before that) so am very familiar with it.
It is hard for me to try to understand a Windows viewpoint when so many
things I take for granted.

...d

David Hansen [email protected] opined the following...
> The two worst examples of racist attitudes that I have ever come
> across were when I was living in England.
>
> The first was a Nigerian, talking about West Indians. This followed
> the usual path of saying how clever the chiefs were in selling the
> dregs of society at inflated prices to the stupid white men and that
> these dregs had not been improved by their time in the Caribbean.
>
> The second was a Jordanian, who uttered the words "these are not
> people, these are Palestinians" to me. He then went on with a tirade
> against Palestinians for a whole host of reasons too numerous to
> repeat.
>
> Of course to the politically correct I must be lying about both
> things. It is only white anglo-saxon protestant males who would ever
> express such opinions. Everyone else is a paragon of virtue.

I never claimed otherwise and I was aware that some people might take it
personally but there you go. While I lived in Buckden (Rural southern
England) there was one black kid in my primary school and about 3
Indians in my year group at secondary school. Apart from a brief period
of name-calling in primary school which rapidly died out when a n other
fad took over and the story of the inappropriate joke I've mentioned
before I never encountered any racism.

When I lived in Sheffield I was exposed to a genuine multicultural
society. I never witnessed nor heard of any racism while I was there.

In the two years that I've been in Edinburgh; I've had two colleagues
(Menial work at the university) discussing their plans to go to a Celtic
meet and greet to yell abuse at a black player (This being a good
evening's entertainment apparently!). They followed it up by asking me
"Do you like racism?"! I've had a colleague at my current job excusing
himself with "I'm not racist but..." as he went on to explain how he
wouldn't want a Pakistani working for us as they are all out to try and
shaft us. I've seen a bloke in the street teaching his ~8-year old kid
to shout "Paki" at the shop keepers in Newington.

It may just be Edinburgh. It may just be that I've been really unlucky
in the people I meet, but when the country runs a campaign to explain
that everyone is equal regardless of race which involves radio ads,
posters on the sides of buses etc. I begin to suspect that there may
actually be a problem.

I believe that it will get better simply as more cultures move in and
mix in the level of tolerance will undoubtedly increase, but to deny it
would appear to be turning a blind eye!

Jon

David Hansen [email protected] opined the following...
> The supposedly cycle friendly City of Edinburgh Council insisted at
> some roadworks that "cyclists dismount" signs were displayed. I
> asked them at which roadworks they had insisted that "motorists get
> out and push" signs were displayed. They have yet to answer my
> question. I hope they have now grasped the point, but I doubt if
> they have.

Given the frequency with which they fail to reply to your letters you
might want to consider using a pseudonym. They may well be "filtering"
your queries straight into the bin. ;-)

Jon

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:34:47 +0100 someone who may be Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote this:-

>I believe that it will get better simply as more cultures move in and
>mix in the level of tolerance will undoubtedly increase, but to deny it
>would appear to be turning a blind eye!

Er, where have I "denied it"?

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.

On Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:35:37 +0100 someone who may be Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote this:-

>Given the frequency with which they fail to reply to your letters you
>might want to consider using a pseudonym. They may well be "filtering"
>your queries straight into the bin. ;-)

Perhaps you are right:)

Actually they only fail to reply when I ask a difficult question. If
I ask one in the midst of some easier question then the difficult
one is studiously avoided.

prevents me by using the RIP Act 2000.