Thinking about a '90s Cannondale Killer V900, got some questions...

Holshot

Jul 17, 2013
Hey guys I'm getting back into riding after taking off for about 15 years... I came across a great condition KillerV on Craigslist that brings me back to the 90s when I bought one new but was stolen a year later :-(. Anyways, being that its old now and beggars can't be choosers this bike is just a tad small for me. I'm 6'3" 210lbs and when I extended the seat as high as I could get it my leg extension wasn't bad but I was hunched over to much. My question is in your expert opinions are there options for a longer stem? Do you think that I'm making a mistake by trying to extend the seat and stem to the limit to make it "fit" my size? I'm not planning on doing anything crazy or big jumps. My main riding will be paved and dirt trails in the local parks ect... The sellers thinks its a size large or possibly a 20" frame but wasn't sure. It rides nice and was always maintained in a dry garage. It shifts well and has an upgraded Manitua adjustable front shock. Guy wants $300 bucks which isn't all that bad a suppose and would love to have another Killer V to relive me youth... LoL but I don't want to make a mistake I'll regret. If you have any insight, opinions or recommendations I would greatly appreciate it! Kind regards, Joe

Originally Posted by Holshot .

Hey guys I'm getting back into riding after taking off for about 15 years... I came across a great condition KillerV on Craigslist that brings me back to the 90s when I bought one new but was stolen a year later :-(. Anyways, being that its old now and beggars can't be choosers this bike is just a tad small for me. I'm 6'3" 210lbs and when I extended the seat as high as I could get it my leg extension wasn't bad but I was hunched over to much. My question is in your expert opinions are there options for a longer stem? Do you think that I'm making a mistake by trying to extend the seat and stem to the limit to make it "fit" my size? I'm not planning on doing anything crazy or big jumps. My main riding will be paved and dirt trails in the local parks ect... The sellers thinks its a size large or possibly a 20" frame but wasn't sure. It rides nice and was always maintained in a dry garage. It shifts well and has an upgraded Manitua adjustable front shock. Guy wants $300 bucks which isn't all that bad a suppose and would love to have another Killer V to relive me youth... LoL but I don't want to make a mistake I'll regret. If you have any insight, opinions or recommendations I would greatly appreciate it! Kind regards, Joe
While the V900 was a fairly expensive bike when it was new, suspension technology has made huge advances in the past 12+ years ...

And, even with the Manitou fork (which hopefully was a threadless installation) I suspect that $300 is at least $100 more than the bike is possibly worth unless you are having a rosebud moment.

With that in mind, there ARE longer seatposts available, now, than one could buy 20 years ago ...

Depending on the actual Manitou fork which is on the bike AND how it was installed, it may be possible to raise the handlebar by simply flipping the stem (if it is a threadless stem) OR you can install a handlebar which has a greater rise ...

• both BMX & "Stingray" handlebars have more rise & can be used as an alternative to a normal MTB handlebar

• it is easy to swap out threadless stems ... so, if the bike still has a threaded headset, you can install an threadless stem adapter

So, the question for YOU regarding the size is how great is the currrent, vertical distance between the stem & the top of the saddle ... AND, how fit are you?

• that is, some people can look fit, but due to injuries lack flexibility ...
  • and therefore, prefer a higher handlebar setup

• a slightly shorter top tube & subsequently lower stem can result in the same fit as a slightly longer top tube with a higher stem
  • with that in mind, the bike's virtual top tube length is hopefully 60cm-or-longer ... shorter will possibly be too short for you (bring a tape measure!)

Certainly, for trail & pavement, the bike is more than adequate ...

• being able to lock-out the rear shock when you are riding on pavement may be beneficial

FWIW. IMO, at $200, the bike would be a very good deal ...

At $300, despite its original cost, maybe not so much ...

• the harsh fact is that other than the Cannondale's superior craftsmanship + a Manitou fork which is probably ~12 years old (i.e., old technology), a contemporary Big-Box MTB probably isn't that much worse for the types of riding you are currently planning ...
  • and consequently, the Big-Box MTB pricing can possibly be used as a bargaining benchmark if you are in a haggling mood ... the seller may balk ... you may want the bike more than someone who doesn't appreciate the bike's ride (like myself!!) and so you might feel that $300 is a bargain ...

So, if nothing else, try to get the seller to subtract the cost of a new set of tires.

----​

BTW. The ADVANTAGE to the V900 is that it looks like a Big-Box bike, and vice versa, and so I presume that the odds of possible theft are marginally lower ... of course, crackheads aren't too discerning, so you probably can't be to cavalier about how it is secured when you aren't around.