Thinking about building a custom rear wheel

swampy1970 said:
If your wheels are 'noisy' or go out of true when new then you should be taking them back to your wheelbuilder to wrap them around his neck - not to ask for a 'true up'. A good wheelbuilder should pre-stress the wheel and if needs be, use some threadlocking compound on the spoke nipples.

If you were sold brass nipples on the basis that they're more rigid I'd take the rest of his brass nipples and fire them at him from a BB gun. Brass nipples are more durable in the sense that they're harder to round off than alloy ones and are less likely to seize after a few years but they're not stiffer. Then again, if the wheel builder had used the correct spoke prep on the threads then they wouldn't be seizing in the first place.

Hi Swampy.

It's been a while since I posted. The spokes rubbing was not actually what I was hearing. I'm a total newb. It actually turned out to be my headset which I've since replaced and no more noise. :cool: Yeah, I know. I'm an idiot. lol

btw, I went with alloy nipples. He thought they'd hold up fine. He wanted to monitor the wheels which is why I brought them back for the tune ups and they did not go out of true. So we were all happy.

Turbo329 said:
Thanks again.
I think I'm going to go with the following:

Mavic CXP33 Rim
DT 240 hub (Ceramic)
32 spoke count
700x25 Tire on the back

The Velocity rims don't get such great reviews and my LBS didn't have much nice things to say about it.