Thinking about doing my 1st long distance ride...advise please.

Following on from Pete Biggs's message. . .
>Wait until you get a day with the wind in the right direction - behind you (or extremely light wind
>in any direction). That makes a huge difference to any long ride. I'm assuming you won't be cycling
>back the same day (if

Excellent advice (as was the other posters)

10 miles into the wind is depressing 20 miles into the wind is dispiriting 100 miles into the wind
won't be any fun at all and once you run out of energy there's absolutely nothing you can do. I
suspect the 'try working up to it' policy suggested by some is so you get used to dealing with
mental and physical stamina - probably a good idea.

You'll be wrecked the next day.

My plan 'A' would be to do 60-70 by bike with a train the rest of the way, and then if you're really
feeling in fine form go the whole hog. (Actually I don't know the area but I'd guess the latter part
of the journey would be more pleasant to cycle.)

Keep off the A roads. Your library will have a selection of OS Landranger maps. Well worth study
'cos it will show the by-roads better and the hills won't come as a shock.

Try out the exact bottomwear combination before committing yourself to a day with saddle sores.

--
PETER FOX Not the same since the bra business went bust
[email protected]

"Peter Fox" <[email protected]> wrote

> Keep off the A roads. Your library will have a selection of OS Landranger maps. Well worth study
> 'cos it will show the by-roads better and the hills won't come as a shock.

Yep, definitely check out where the hills are. The shortest distance to my girlfriend's house
from the AA road map involves a very big hill. Tried it once and it definitely ain't the quickest
or easiest, you can't even go down the other side flat out because of the sharp corners and
narrow road.

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:20:32 -0000, "Pete Biggs"
<ptangerine{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote:

>(or extremely light wind in any direction). That makes a huge difference to any long ride. I'm
>assuming you won't be cycling back the same day (if at all)!! :)

Hi Pete

If possible, use the great <http://www.xcweather.co.uk/> plan the journey against the wind for the
outward stretch and with the wind for the home section.

James

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 21:33:21 +0900, James Annan
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Someone who is already doing 2x30mins a day commuting does not need 8 weeks of training in order to
>'complete a century'! I bet he could do it tomorrow if he had to, and fitting in a couple of
>weekend 50-milers first would make it straightforward.

Hi James

I agree with you.

Until some four or three years ago my cycling had consisted of regular, daily rides of between five
and twenty miles. The majority of these rides were necessary: shopping, going to the pub (not
strictly necessary) and the like but some were done for pleasure, simply just for the hell of it.
I'd also used my bike for regular transport: for distances of only a couple of miles.

Anyway, one day in 2001 or 2002, I decided to cycle from Worthing to Selsey Bill and back by a round-
about route, a distance of perhaps 80 miles (this is a guestimate).

I thouroughly enjoyed my ride, which took between six and eight hours. I felt a little saddle-sore
towards the end of the ride but dollops of Johnson's Baby powder took care of any chafing in nasty
places (Bognor Regis is a very nasty place). Also, as you say, James, food and water taken regularly
took care of my "intakes".

I'm sure Lee, as a regular rider, would be able to complete his ride as long as the terrain wasn't
too different from what he is used to.

Incidentally, I did this ride (and other since) on my Trek 4300 rigid MTB look-alike and not on my
Orbea road bike.

James

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> net.or.jp...
>
> > Someone who is already doing 2x30mins a day commuting does not need 8 weeks of training in order
> > to 'complete a century'! I bet he could do it tomorrow if he had to, and fitting in a couple of
> > weekend 50-milers first would make it straightforward.
> >
> > James
> >
>
> Hope your right - my plan gathers more momentum!
>

Hes right i commute a simliar distance to yourself every day. Im going to do several Audax events
this summer and i did my 1st 50mile + of the year today without too much difficulty , i reckon a
hundred will be well achievable for me and i suspect you as well.

Ross

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>typed

> 1. Do you think i could make it?
Yes, no problem.

> 2. How long would you expect it to take (bearing in mind fatigue etc)
Between 8 and 10 hours, including breaks.

> 3. What kit would I need?
Clothing to cope with weather changes Puncture kit & spare inner tubes, pump and spanners/allen keys
for all the nuts & bolts. Map in plastic bag Mobile phone Food that is pannier proof and palatable
Drink Sunscreen in the summer.

> 4. Do you think ill need to build upto the 100 mile mark first?
No. Just make sure you take breaks to eat and drink before you're really hungry or thirsty. Don't
let yourself get too hot or too cold as you'll get exhausted sooner if you do.

> 5. Any better routes than the RAC route planner (dont fancy A roads if at all possible)

Sorry, can't help you here; I vaguely remember doing an Audax ride from Fishlake to Brid and back on
a very wet February Saturday but I think there were quite a few A roads.

> I like the idea of doing it (my better half thinks I am insane for even contemplating it).
Everyone says that to long-distance cyclists. Worry not.

--
Helen D. Vecht: [email protected] Edgware.

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> Hi James
>
> I agree with you.
>
> Until some four or three years ago my cycling had consisted of regular, daily rides of between
> five and twenty miles. The majority of these rides were necessary: shopping, going to the pub (not
> strictly necessary) and the like but some were done for pleasure, simply just for the hell of it.
> I'd also used my bike for regular transport: for distances of only a couple of miles.
>
> Anyway, one day in 2001 or 2002, I decided to cycle from Worthing to Selsey Bill and back by a round-
> about route, a distance of perhaps 80 miles (this is a guestimate).
>
> I thouroughly enjoyed my ride, which took between six and eight hours. I felt a little saddle-sore
> towards the end of the ride but dollops of Johnson's Baby powder took care of any chafing in nasty
> places (Bognor Regis is a very nasty place). Also, as you say, James, food and water taken
> regularly took care of my "intakes".
>
> I'm sure Lee, as a regular rider, would be able to complete his ride as long as the terrain wasn't
> too different from what he is used to.
>
> Incidentally, I did this ride (and other since) on my Trek 4300 rigid MTB look-alike and not on my
> Orbea road bike.
>
> James

Yeah, as far as Im thinking, provided the terrain isnt TOO lumpy i should br fine - ill also be
using a rigid "hybrid" to do the deed!

> > My Mum has a caravan in Bridlington (well, just outside) which we
> The CTC website is at http://www.ctc.org.uk/
> >

May I add : take lights and spare batteries and set off very early
(7.30 is my kind of early!), then you will feel relaxed about time and if caught out in the dark in
the country still no problem. get up off your saddle every few minutes or all the time to delay
the onset of saddle pain. if you get cheesed off just stop at a bandb.Take a list of them and
tourist info office tel numbers because I find sudden decisions in the sticks can be awkward.I
take a silver survival bag too. You are going the right way there .Usually the wind is SW.There
is a through train from Darlington to Chesterfield which I have used to avoid the grind back.That
would make a nice ride over the NYork Moors across the wind.Although you have to book the train
you can book at the station for a few hours later and get some tea. I suppose you know the
Alfreton CTC meet weds. evenings in the car park behind blockbuster.See the website.You would
have no problem with fitness. Seeing how experienced people do things is the quick route to
expertise. TerryJ

Richard Goodman wrote:
>My first long cycle journey was a 500 mile one done over several days, with no more preparation than a daily 23 mile commute (round trip) ... I got everywhere I intended on the days and times I expected to.

That's interesting - and encouraging. I'm planning for a 5 day/400 mile trip in September, from my house in Kent to my brother's house in Penrith - that's obviously averaging 80 miles a day, but I'm breaking it down so that the hillier stages are the shorter ones - day 1 will be a relatively flat 120miles while day 3 is about half the distance but takes in Snake Pass in the Peak District. Day 4 is short and flat enough to almost count as a rest day and the final leg is up through the Lakes via the fearsome climb of Kirkstone Pass.

It's years since I did any proper long distances and the longest I've ever done is not much over 100miles - and I've never done any multi-day 'tours' like this before. My 'training' at the moment mostly consists of a couple of 20-30 miles rides a week - I find I don't usually have time for more, but I'm building up gradually.

What I want to know is how to go about devising some kind of route profiles - looking at an OS map gives an idea of where all the really big hills are, but even on the flatter stages I know I'm likely to encounter a few significant bumps in the road and would like to be able to plan for them. Any tips?

To go back to the original question, when I was 16, my best mate and I did several 100mile day trips without the slightest concern for proper preparation. If you're reasonably fit and a regular cyclist you should be up to it easily - it will hurt for a few days afterwards but you'll be so chuffed you did it that you'll barely notice. But it really depends on your general condition. I was super fit back then, but having had a bit of a lay-off from cycling (growing up, getting married, having kids, discovering beer, etc) and now being rather out of shape, I wouldn't consider doing any serious distances without giving some thought to training.

davek wrote:

> That's interesting - and encouraging. I'm planning for a 5 day/400 mile trip in September, from my
> house in Kent to my brother's house in Penrith - that's obviously averaging 80 miles a day, but
> I'm breaking it down so that the hillier stages are the shorter ones - day 1 will be a relatively
> flat 120miles while day 3 is about half the distance but takes in Snake Pass in the Peak District.
> Day 4 is short and flat enough to almost count as a rest day and the final leg is up through the
> Lakes via the fearsome climb of Kirkstone Pass.
>
> It's years since I did any proper long distances and the longest I've ever done is not much over
> 100miles - and I've never done any multi-day 'tours' like this before. My 'training' at the moment
> mostly consists of a couple of 20-30 miles rides a week - I find I don't usually have time for
> more, but I'm building up gradually.

I think you may find this a far far more challenging task than just a single very long day, and I
would suggest you make the effort to do at least some hard 2 day trips (eg all day both days at the
weekend). When we go touring, we tend to get pretty tired about the 3-4 day mark.

James

James Annan wrote:
>I think you may find this a far far more challenging task than just a single very long day

I think you may be right!

>I would suggest you make the effort to do at least some hard 2 day trips (eg all day both days at the weekend).

Thanks for the tip - that sounds like a very good idea. I'm doing the London to Brighton and cycling home again afterwards - 135 miles in total - which should count as a pretty decent training run. Maybe I should also cycle up to London the day before.

>When we go touring, we tend to get pretty tired about the 3-4 day mark.

I'm factoring into my timetable the possible need for a rest day after day three... just in case...

On the other hand, if I reach Penrith and feel fresh enough I might even carry on to Edinburgh. (Wishful thinking.)

> My Mum has a caravan in Bridlington (well, just outside) which we frequently use and I was
> wondering whether I could cycle there in the summer.
>
> I live in Alfreton, Derbyshrie and according to RAC route planner its 100 miles to Brid.

I don't know about the rac planner, but I looked at autoroute 2000 and entered alfreton to
bridlington via a pushpin on the humber bridge, adjusted the speeds to 30mph for minor roads and
streets and 5mph for mways and main roads.It came up with an instant but very pleasant looking
route, some of which I know to be nice.It would be 125miles and might need 2 days to be fun,but it
would in my opinion be a lot more pleasant to stick to backroads on the whole.

By the way has anyone said put the map on the bars so you do not have to stop and rummage for the
map every 5 minutes, and mark the route clearly with yellow or pencil .This saves a lot of time.

On the road I like the OS Travel map Road 4 which at 4 m p inch gives useful contours and is not too
big to carry.

TerryJ