Thinking about doing my 1st long distance ride...advise please.

Lee

Guest
All,

My Mum has a caravan in Bridlington (well, just outside) which we frequently use and I was wondering
whether I could cycle there in the summer.

I live in Alfreton, Derbyshrie and according to RAC route planner its 100 miles to Brid.

Now, i commute to work by bicycle each day (8 miles here, 8 miles back) and it takes me about 30
mins my questions are:

1. Do you think i could make it?
2. How long would you expect it to take (bearing in mind fatigue etc)
3. What kit would I need?
4. Do you think ill need to build upto the 100 mile mark first?
5. Any better routes than the RAC route planner (dont fancy A roads if at all possible)

I like the idea of doing it (my better half thinks I am insane for even contemplating it).

Cheers

Lee

Lee wrote:
> All,
>
> My Mum has a caravan in Bridlington (well, just outside) which we frequently use and I was
> wondering whether I could cycle there in the summer.
>
> I live in Alfreton, Derbyshrie and according to RAC route planner its 100 miles to Brid.
>
> Now, i commute to work by bicycle each day (8 miles here, 8 miles back) and it takes me about 30
> mins my questions are:
>
> 1. Do you think i could make it?
> 2. How long would you expect it to take (bearing in mind fatigue etc)
> 3. What kit would I need?
> 4. Do you think ill need to build upto the 100 mile mark first?
> 5. Any better routes than the RAC route planner (dont fancy A roads if at all possible)
>
> I like the idea of doing it (my better half thinks I am insane for even contemplating it).
>
> Cheers
>
> Lee

100 miles in 6 hours non stop means an average of 16.666 mph, what is your average speed ? Have you
done a 6 hour ride before ? I have done 100 miles in 5.5 hours but for a ride such as this I would
allow 6 to 8 hours, not including stops, I would plan on 4 stops of about 20 minutes each. I prefer
a structure like this to give me targets a I go. Of course you can go at whatever speed you want but
your body needs to get accustomed to being in the saddle for longer than 30 minutes at a time. Only
you will know if you can do it, I reckon you can, you will be surprised at your physical abilities,
you will feel like giving up long before your body demands that you do. You will finish and be very
proud of yourself.

Build up to it, do longer and longer rides until you are confident that you could do the distance.
Get used to eating and drinking whilst out for the day. Make sure your bikes is in proper working
order as you do not want it to fail whilst your half way there. You don't really need much with
you, maps of course, I use 4 miles to 1 inch road atlas, tear out the pages that cover the route.
You should take sufficient tools to fix minor mechanicals and of course punctures. Take a rain
jacket and any other clothes you think you'll need depending on the likely weather. You will be
outside for a long time so it may be cool if your start early or finish late and it may be hot
during the day. It may be cool all day. Take sunscreen. Take some water in your bottle, money,
mobile phone, usual stuff.

I try to avoid A roads too, I spend ages scouring maps to find alternatives, its part of the
fun for me.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
> All,
>
> My Mum has a caravan in Bridlington (well, just outside) which we
frequently
> use and I was wondering whether I could cycle there in the summer.
>
> I live in Alfreton, Derbyshrie and according to RAC route planner its 100 miles to Brid.
>
> Now, i commute to work by bicycle each day (8 miles here, 8 miles back)
and
> it takes me about 30 mins my questions are:
>
> 1. Do you think i could make it?

No probs, just get a couple of 50 milers in beforehand, maybe 1 a week

> 2. How long would you expect it to take (bearing in mind fatigue etc)

8-10 hours, taking it relatively easy, including a 15 min break in the a.m., half an hour or so for
lunch and 15 mins in the afternoon. Riding for approx.2 hours at a time.

> 3. What kit would I need?

A bike ;-) and whatever you feel comfortable in. (lycra is good - multilayer to allow for cooling
down / warming up). A hydrapack is very useful. dried fruit and unsalted peanuts are great for
energy, easy to munch and don't sit heavily in the stomach. Also, plan it for a sunny day rather
than rainy ;-) A bit of dosh and a credit card just in case things go really pear shaped and you
have to book into a B&B. A puncture repair kit / couple of spare innertubes and a reliable pump.

> 4. Do you think ill need to build upto the 100 mile mark first?

See 1.

> 5. Any better routes than the RAC route planner (dont fancy A roads if at all possible)

Sit down with a road atlas and work it out fo yourself. Suprises such as f*ckin' steep hills add to
the experience.

> I like the idea of doing it (my better half thinks I am insane for even contemplating it).

Go for it and remember, enjoy!! - sounds like you'll have the awe of your better half afterwards,
worth it for that alone 8-D

> Cheers

Y'welcome

> Lee

Dave.

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
> All,
>
> My Mum has a caravan in Bridlington (well, just outside) which we
frequently
> use and I was wondering whether I could cycle there in the summer.
>
> I live in Alfreton, Derbyshrie and according to RAC route planner its 100 miles to Brid.
>
> Now, i commute to work by bicycle each day (8 miles here, 8 miles back)
and
> it takes me about 30 mins my questions are:

That would be enough to make up a fair bit of training, but I believe you have only been doing it
for less than a year. I also think I've seen you state that you always do it as fast as possible. In
doing this you will be "training" yourself for short distances - and you might find over 30 miles
very "interesting".

> 4. Do you think ill need to build upto the 100 mile mark first?

Yes. You need to get in more longer slower rides, and find out how easy/difficult 30,50, 70 miles is
for you. I've done one century with only a bit of "training" for it, but I've also done a lot of 50-
70 miles in a day, and know what that feels like - so I had no surprises, but still ended the day
with a bad knee, and trundled the last 10 miles in an hour.

Lee wrote:

> I live in Alfreton, Derbyshrie and according to RAC route planner its 100 miles to Brid.

May well be the case that a route you'd want to cycle on is longer (backroads rather than rural A
roads, for example)

> 1. Do you think i could make it?

If you're a regular cyclist then, yes, you'd almost certainly make it IMHO. The tricky bit is
whether you'd actually *enjoy* it.

> 3. What kit would I need?

Clothes to ensure you stay warm and comfortable with special attention paid to backside/saddle
interface, spare tube, puncture kit and multitool for minor tweaks, bike in good repair with road
tyres, light refreshments, money for heavier refreshments. Any luggage, however light, should be
hanging on the bike and not on you.

> 4. Do you think ill need to build upto the 100 mile mark first?

I think it would be a very good idea. There's a difference between being able to do something and
actually enjoying the process. Choose a route locally with plenty of variations possible so you can
change it to a variety of distances. Choose something you feel is reasonable and then you can extend
it if it's too easy, cut back if it's too hard. You may find that the saddle you're happy on for 8
miles starts killing you at 25 or similar. On my old upright tourer my limit was about 60 miles
because my wrists, elbows and arms were quite uncomfortable at that point, even though my legs felt
they could go on.

> I like the idea of doing it (my better half thinks I am insane for even contemplating it).

A former gf thought I was superhuman because 30 miles was something I could do any time I wanted.
Which just goes to show that perspectives of folk that don't cycle much are a bit skewed! If you
like the idea of doing it, then do it!

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 08:26:50 +0000, Lee wrote:
> All,
>
> My Mum has a caravan in Bridlington (well, just outside) which we frequently use and I was
> wondering whether I could cycle there in the summer.
>
> I live in Alfreton, Derbyshrie and according to RAC route planner its 100 miles to Brid.
>
> Now, i commute to work by bicycle each day (8 miles here, 8 miles back) and it takes me about 30
> mins my questions are:
>
> 1. Do you think i could make it?

Absolutely. I wish I had as far to ride to work as you do - it sounds as if you're probably fitter
than I am and I know I can cycle that distance without having to go into training.

> 2. How long would you expect it to take (bearing in mind fatigue etc)

I have averaged 10-14mph over similar distances - depends on the terrain + bike. It's important to
pace yourself - ideally cycling for long distances should be like jogging or hill walking. You can
keep on doing them indefinitely, provided you don't use your short-term energy reserves faster than
they're replenished from long term energy reserves (fat! hooray!).

> 3. What kit would I need?

A good repair kit including a chain tool, pump, repair kit and inner tube (even if you know how to
fix them), allen keys, maybe a spanner set. Some people might take a spare tyre. If you normally use
a rucksack for goodness sake leave it at home and get a set of panniers.

Drink lots of fluids; eat little and often - and before you have to. Energy drinks can save the day
if you suddenly find your legs going all wobbly - which you shouldn't if you're eating right. I
don't reckon energy bars work as well, and they're expensive.

In this weather, obviously warm waterproof clothing is a must. I'd suggest a pair of gloves, even if
you don't normally need them.

Whatever other people mention that I've forgotten.

> 4. Do you think ill need to build up to the 100 mile mark first?

Not necessarily - but you may enjoy it more if you do. And if you haven't done any long rides
before then a dress rehearsal may let you know if you need to adjust the saddle, or whatever.
Little things that don't matter over short distances can become exponentially bigger things as the
distances increase.

> 5. Any better routes than the RAC route planner (dont fancy A roads if at all possible)

Remember little roads may add quite a lot on to those 100 miles - I don't know your area but I would
try to avoid busy A-roads on any pleasure trip. My preference is to compromise by setting off on the
A-roads at 3/4 am and moving onto small roads round about breakfast time. There is the risk of
sleepy drivers, but there are far fewer cars overall.

Normally I don't mind A-roads, but I find that 8 hours of cars whizzing past me really gets me down
even if they're all behaving.

You could consider camping/B&Bing overnight and do the trip in 2 stages?

> I like the idea of doing it (my better half thinks I am insane for even contemplating it).

Well, you found your way to the asylum OK,

The important thing is have fun, and let us know how it goes. If I recall, http://www.audax.uk.net/
has some good articles that may be useful.

AC

On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 08:26:50 -0000, Lee wrote:

> All,
>
> My Mum has a caravan in Bridlington (well, just outside) which we frequently use and I was
> wondering whether I could cycle there in the summer.
>
> I live in Alfreton, Derbyshrie and according to RAC route planner its 100 miles to Brid.
>
> Now, i commute to work by bicycle each day (8 miles here, 8 miles back) and it takes me about 30
> mins my questions are:
>
> 1. Do you think i could make it?
> 2. How long would you expect it to take (bearing in mind fatigue etc)
> 3. What kit would I need?
> 4. Do you think ill need to build upto the 100 mile mark first?
> 5. Any better routes than the RAC route planner (dont fancy A roads if at all possible)
>
> I like the idea of doing it (my better half thinks I am insane for even contemplating it).
>
> Cheers
>
> Lee

Here's a programme from an old book called "Riding and Racing Techniques". It's designed for someone
who is regularly doing 50-75 miles/week with a longest ride of 30 miles.

Week Wednesday Sunday 1 20 30 2 25 35 3 30 43 4 35 53 5 30 63 6 30 73 7 30 75 8 20 100

It says that the remaining 2-3 rides each week should be no longer than 15 miles. You need to spend
a few weeks building up your longest ride to something like 30 miles before starting this programme.
You also need to rest so you shouldn't ride on Saturday if you're riding to work every day. The book
also says _not_ to pick up the pace of your rides. This is a programme to let you complete a
century, not race it.

It should take 7-8 hours.
--
Michael MacClancy Random putdown - "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with
great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow www.macclancy.demon.co.uk www.macclancy.co.uk

in message <[email protected]>, Lee
wrote:

> All,
>
> My Mum has a caravan in Bridlington (well, just outside) which we frequently use and I was
> wondering whether I could cycle there in the summer.
>
> I live in Alfreton, Derbyshrie and according to RAC route planner its 100 miles to Brid.
>
> Now, i commute to work by bicycle each day (8 miles here, 8 miles back) and it takes me about 30
> mins my questions are:
>
> 1. Do you think i could make it?

Yes. No doubt at all.

> 2. How long would you expect it to take (bearing in mind fatigue etc)

Cycle half the distance in the morning, take a long leisurely lunch somewhere, cycle the other half
in the afternoon. This is much less fatigueing than just pressing on.

> 3. What kit would I need?

Usual things. Pump, spare inner tube, a couple of water bottles.

> 4. Do you think ill need to build upto the 100 mile mark first?

No, although it wouldn't hurt to have done a few thirty milers. But the first time I set out to
cycle 400 miles I didn't do any preparatory training (apart from normal knocking about town), and I
made it, averaging 80 miles a day.

> 5. Any better routes than the RAC route planner (dont fancy A roads if at all possible)

Pass.

;; not so much a refugee from reality, more a bogus ;; asylum seeker

news:[email protected]...

wrote:

>All,
>
>My Mum has a caravan in Bridlington (well, just outside) which we frequently use and I was
>wondering whether I could cycle there in the summer.
>
>I live in Alfreton, Derbyshrie and according to RAC route planner its 100 miles to Brid.
>
>Now, i commute to work by bicycle each day (8 miles here, 8 miles back) and it takes me about 30
>mins my questions are:

All the other replies seem to be suggesting lots of training and building up to it.

I take the other view. If you're doing 16 miles a day and are resonably healthy, I'd just get on the
bike early one morning and go.

I went from a 4 mile commute to a 100+ mile trip using that method. My wife did the Round the Island
ride (97 miles including riding to and from the ferry) on the basis that once upon a time she'd
ridden 8 miles.

>1. Do you think i could make it?

Yes.

>2. How long would you expect it to take (bearing in mind fatigue etc)

Allow all day. That'll mean you can enjoy the ride, take breaks, see the sights and have contingency
to cope with most disasters.

>3. What kit would I need?

Bike, Water bottle(s) (I wouldn't recommend a backpack water holder for a long trip). Puncture
repair kit + any tools you know how to use. Cash[1] to cover : Beer, lunch, snacks, unplanned bike
shop vist, bail out trains, bail out hotels Lights Atlas (or pages thereof)

[1] or credit cards if you use such things.

>4. Do you think ill need to build upto the 100 mile mark first?

No.

>5. Any better routes than the RAC route planner (dont fancy A roads if at all possible)

Get a road atlas. Draw a straight line between point A and point B. Pencil in closest
favourable road route. If you're feeling sophisticated use multimap to check out OS version and
check for hills.

>I like the idea of doing it (my better half thinks I am insane for even contemplating it).

You'll love it. Possibly not at the time, though. Think of it as a retrospectively
pleasurable activity.

>Cheers
>
>Lee

"anonymous coward" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> You could consider camping/B&Bing overnight and do the trip in 2 stages?

hmmmm, this sounds like a possibility

> > I like the idea of doing it (my better half thinks I am insane for even contemplating it).
>
> Well, you found your way to the asylum OK,
>
> The important thing is have fun, and let us know how it goes. If I recall,
> http://www.audax.uk.net/ has some good articles that may be useful.
>
> AC

Wait until you get a day with the wind in the right direction - behind you
(or extremely light wind in any direction). That makes a huge difference
to any long ride. I'm assuming you won't be cycling back the same day (if
at all)!! :)

Best of luck.

~PB

For some strange reason a ''straight out 100 mile'' is easier than 50 there & 50 return..not only
the wind etc

Its easier than it sounds to do 100 ..

its more a mental thing... sort your head out and dont make an issue of difficulty..

I used to ride 100TT with difficulty UNTIL I menally broke it in stages,, although I rode at the
same pace, my mind told my body it was warm up 2x10's and 3x25's so break your ride into stages.. if
your going 16 mile a day to work then the day of your ride your riding to work just over 5 times...
that sounds far easier than 100 mile....

sorry to pop your bubble BUT the ride back is always harder also...just DONT try it the same day r
the day after ...

we once rode Nottm_Skeg in 3 hours 10 mins.. set out at 6.30 and was in the Copper Kettle eatin
breaky at 9.40........ we sat around lookin at Females until around 2.00pm........ it took us 6
hours to ride home...

so goooood luck matey and just Enjoy it.........but no prob in you doing it in 5-6 hours....

D@vo

berlin.de...

Michael MacClancy wrote:

> Here's a programme from an old book called "Riding and Racing Techniques". It's designed for
> someone who is regularly doing 50-75 miles/week with a longest ride of 30 miles.
>
> Week Wednesday Sunday 1 20 30 2 25 35 3 30 43 4 35 53 5 30 63 6 30 73 7 30 75 8 20 100
>
> This is a programme to let you complete a century, not race it.

Someone who is already doing 2x30mins a day commuting does not need 8 weeks of training in order to
'complete a century'! I bet he could do it tomorrow if he had to, and fitting in a couple of weekend
50-milers first would make it straightforward.

James

"James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Someone who is already doing 2x30mins a day commuting does not need 8 weeks of training in order
> to 'complete a century'! I bet he could do it tomorrow if he had to, and fitting in a couple of
> weekend 50-milers first would make it straightforward.
>
> James

Hope your right - my plan gathers more momentum!

"Davo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> For some strange reason a ''straight out 100 mile'' is easier than 50
there
> & 50 return..not only the wind etc
>
> Its easier than it sounds to do 100 ..
>
> its more a mental thing... sort your head out and dont make an issue of difficulty..
>
> I used to ride 100TT with difficulty UNTIL I menally broke it in stages,, although I rode at the
> same pace, my mind told my body it was warm up
2x10's
> and 3x25's so break your ride into stages.. if your going 16 mile a day to work then the day of
> your ride your riding to work just over 5 times... that sounds far easier than 100
mile....

Very true actually

> sorry to pop your bubble BUT the ride back is always harder also...just
DONT
> try it the same day r the day after ...

Might cop out and get a lift back tho!

> we once rode Nottm_Skeg in 3 hours 10 mins.. set out at 6.30 and was in
the
> Copper Kettle eatin breaky at 9.40........ we sat around lookin at Females until around
> 2.00pm........ it took us 6 hours to ride home...
>
> so goooood luck matey and just Enjoy it.........but no prob in you doing
it
> in 5-6 hours....
>
> D@vo

Ta, some planning is needed methinks

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
> All,
>
> My Mum has a caravan in Bridlington (well, just outside) which we
frequently
> use and I was wondering whether I could cycle there in the summer.
>
> I live in Alfreton, Derbyshrie and according to RAC route planner its 100 miles to Brid.
>
> Now, i commute to work by bicycle each day (8 miles here, 8 miles back)
and
> it takes me about 30 mins my questions are:
>
> 1. Do you think i could make it?
> 2. How long would you expect it to take (bearing in mind fatigue etc)
> 3. What kit would I need?
> 4. Do you think ill need to build upto the 100 mile mark first?
> 5. Any better routes than the RAC route planner (dont fancy A roads if at all possible)

I don't think anyone can say a definitive 'yes' because it's really dependent on _you_ (and on the
route profile, and maybe on the weather) but mostly just on you. But I would say a daily 16 mile
commute would be perfectly adequate preparation for most people, so long as you don't want to race
it. Cycling any distance at all is mostly the same as cycling the first few yards - just start and
keep going, taking rest and food as needed. Not much else is needed, physically, provided you've got
the time and inclination to do it and pace yourself appropriately.

My first long cycle journey was a 500 mile one done over several days, with no more preparation than
a daily 23 mile commute (round trip). The first day was a breeze - 60 miles on mainly flat terrain.
On the otherhand later in the ride an 80 mile hilly part was tiring and I bonked the next day after
70 miles into a 120 mile section - but after stuffing myself with food and drink from a service
station the rest of the ride was perfectly ok - I got everywhere I intended on the days and times I
expected to. On the otherhand, the person who started the trip with me and _said_ he had been
commuting 6 miles a day to prepare (and hadn't) gave up on the second day. He struggled the first
day despite the fact that I was taking it _very_ easy to try and stay together. Occasionally I would
just spin a bit up a slight hill or even coast down one to find that he had somehow inexplicably
dropped behind by quite a long way!

So preparation before a long trip is highly to be recommended, but 16 miles a day should do it, I
would have thought, unless perhaps you have a tendency to suffer eg wrist, knee or saddle pains. A
longer ride sometime beforehand would not be necessary as 'training' but could be useful to assess
your comfort-level with longer distances.

Rich

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>

> "James Annan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> net.or.jp...
>
> > Someone who is already doing 2x30mins a day commuting does not need 8 weeks of training in order
> > to 'complete a century'! I bet he could do it tomorrow if he had to, and fitting in a couple of
> > weekend 50-milers first would make it straightforward.
> >
> > James
> >

> Hope your right - my plan gathers more momentum!

You are obviously getting into this cycling lark. These extra "training" middle-distances are all
part of the fun, and you aren't in a bad position for days out to derbyshire or lincolnshire
depending on how lumpy you want it.

You never know, you might end prefering to do that sort of thing than going to bridlington.

"W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> You are obviously getting into this cycling lark. These extra "training" middle-distances are all
> part of the fun, and you aren't in a bad position for days out to derbyshire or lincolnshire
> depending on how lumpy you want it.
>
> You never know, you might end prefering to do that sort of thing than
going
> to bridlington.

yeah i am. I mean, some days i really cant face cycling to work but i do and feel better for it,
some days i really cant wait to cycle to work!

Dont like lumpy much but i think its inevitable where i live really.

Im sure that I would enjoy the middle distances more than Brid but i want to do Brid to prove to
myself (and others) i can do it

Lee

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com>
> All,
>
> My Mum has a caravan in Bridlington (well, just outside) which we
frequently
> use and I was wondering whether I could cycle there in the summer.
>
> I live in Alfreton, Derbyshrie and according to RAC route planner its 100 miles to Brid.
>
> Now, i commute to work by bicycle each day (8 miles here, 8 miles back)
and
> it takes me about 30 mins my questions are:
>
> 1. Do you think i could make it?
> 2. How long would you expect it to take (bearing in mind fatigue etc)
> 3. What kit would I need?
> 4. Do you think ill need to build upto the 100 mile mark first?
> 5. Any better routes than the RAC route planner (dont fancy A roads if at all possible)
>
> I like the idea of doing it (my better half thinks I am insane for even contemplating it).
>
> Cheers
>
> Lee

Lee,

I'm sure you could make it, but the thing is to enjoy it, so building up would be a good idea. As
for what to carry, that depends on the number of cafes/pubs/bike shops on the way. Your best bet
would be to join the local CTC group for a few sunday rides: not only would you test your long
distance stamina, you'd get all the free advice from people who do that kind of distance every week!
If you decide to join, they'll even devise a route for you.

The CTC website is at http://www.ctc.org.uk/