Thinking about getting into cycling

Ranmandx

Apr 20, 2011
Well I have some knee issues and am relatively young (29) and figured cycling would be a better fit than taking up running. I am interested in road bikes and shopped around the few local and not so local bike stores. Found a few decent deals on last year models a specialized roubaix expert which was actually quite expensive around 3300cad and another store had an argon 18 gallium with SRAM force groupo for 2500cad. And a colnago ace for the same price or a Ridley Orion with 09 ultegra for 2000. Or a bmc sl01 2009 model for 1990. Really confused. I want to take up riding to improve my fitness level and take part in group rides and the such. Ideally would love to get out twice a week mixed in with my regular weight training routines. I used to take my mountain bike on the road several years ago and at first it was really daunting but after a while I was spinning the whole way I wanted a road bike then but never got around to it. I live near the country with some hilly areas as well so figure a road bike might be more exciting than a mountain bike (never was comfortable trail riding) I also have no idea what to expect. From what I gather I'll need to buy shorts shoes pedals and a helmet. All guidance is greatly appreciated Btw I'm 6ft weighing 160lbs and my flexibility is below average. If that makes a difference. It seemed to when I was getting sized at the one shop I visited.

I'd start with something cheap(er) that fits well. After you ride that a while, you'll figure out what you want, then you'll be able to buy something a little more costly that you really like. Last year, I got back into cycling on a bike I bought when I was 14 in '88--this year I spent far more on a bike than I ever dreamed I would, but other than a few components that I will probably upgrade in the course of time, it's exactly what I want, and will last me a long, long time (titanium frame...). And the ride is amazing.

Jason

Don't let the shop force a bike or fit you don't want or like. I was debating a month ago on my first purchase as well.

Personally if you aren't doing anything race or competitive wise then look into an aluminum/titanium frame. They'll save you some $. Get comfortable and figure out what you want types of riding you want to take part in then proceed from there.

Well I picked up a bike. I purchased the BMC SLX01 from competitive cyclist. Got a set of speedplay chromoly zero pedals. I got the bike unassembled going to have my local bike shop which is a specialized and bmc authorized dealer assemble it. Then go in for the bgfit program around 200 and buy my shoes helmet and shorts there to make sure I get the best fit and adjustment. I think with the money I saved I can still budget another 1000 for all of that and any extras. Can't wait to get riding.

I would go into a shop and get them to fit you on a bike, try a few and see how they feel, remember you don't have to buy what they say.

When I got into road biking there were three clear choices for me based on price and they were:

Trek 1.5
Specialized Allez Elite
Focus Cayo 105

I tried them all but decided on the Trek 1.5, I bought it second hand on gumtree as I wasn't sure if I would keep going with the sport.

3 years down the line I still have it and am very happy with it, will be time to change it soon, but great beginners bike...

This is only my opinion of course and you may find other brands work for you better.

I agree with others, start out cheap around $350, because if after 6 months your no longer riding it then you won't have an expensive piece of garage art, or you can sell it at a far less loss then a $1,350 bike. If you do decide to keep on cycling then keep the cheap bike for commuting or foul weather and buy a nice bike to train on or ride long distances.

By the way Bikes Direct.com has a pretty nice selection of bikes for under $400 you may want to look at some of those too. I think you would get more for your money there then at an LBS.

Yeah I picked up my bike. Got fitted at my lbs using the specialized bgfit program. Stem is stacked with 45mm of spacers and stem is at a positive rise 100mm stem and a new specialized toupe pro saddle. I need to work on my flexibility. Here is a pic! Took it out yesterday still a little jittery on the bike max speed 40km/h heart rate through the roof need to slow down but it's just so fast! Haven't fallen yet with the cleats running speedplay zeros.
b8973f81-bb96-67ff.jpg

Looks like you got a pretty nice bike. And you made a good move getting BGFit. Proper fittment on the bike will make a WORLD of difference in comfort, and overall experience.

You also made a wise choice with the Speedplay Zero pedals. I assume this was at the advise of your local bike shop... because those pedals are very well suited to people with knee problems, due to the fact they can be set to have 15 degrees of float. That amount of float is un-heard-of with the other pedal manufacturers. 6 degrees is about the limit with Look and Shimano etc.

The spacers on the steerer tube will come in handy... as you get more flexible and more accustomed to your bike you may want to lower your handlebars to get to a more efficient position. Some people think lower bars are only for more aerodynamics, but lower bars actually also offer a better leverage point when climbing and when sprinting. That stem is also good in the fact that you can flip it over the other way to lower your bars as well. Looks like you have a lot of adjustment up there... which is a good thing... especially when you're new to cycling.

Just remember to put a couple spare tubes in that bag... and it looks like you need to get some water bottles/cages and you're pretty well set.

If you get a chance.... Follow a riders return to the bike after a 15+ year "offseason" http://theprodigalcyclistca.blogspot.com/

SO far pretty good. THe Speedplay zero pedals are a little tough getting into though. snapping out requires a fair bit of force as well. Almost fell down once when was unclipped with my left foot and accidentally leaned to the right. right foot clipped out just in time though. I guess practice makes you comfortable. If anyone has any tips on clipping in and out with them it would be greatly appreciated.