General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Thinking about going back to school - do I have a chance?

Started by Erin · · Last activity · 2 posts · 796 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
8 February 2004
Last activity
10 February 2004
Original author
Erin
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
796
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Hi. I've been doing my pre-requisites for a post-baccalaureate nursing program, but for various
    reasons I'm thinking about applying to medical school instead. I'm wondering, though, if I'd have a
    chance or if I'd be wasting my time. I'm 25, and I earned a B.A. in French when I was 21. My grades
    from that degree are a little spotty, and my overall GPA was 2.95. Honestly, I wasn't very motivated
    and a little immature.

    I took a couple of years off to get married and start a family (I'm expecting our second baby this
    summer), and now that I'm back in school this year, I am handling school much better. Last semester
    I took Chemistry, Anatomy, and Psychology and got straight A's. From that and from my high school
    honors science courses (I took no science classes when I got my French degree) I know I am good at
    science and can get A's when I apply myself.

    So, I'm thinking about taking two years to complete my pre-requisites, and applying to medical
    school. My thinking is that though my overall GPA won't be very good, if my science classes are good
    and if they see that I improved after returning to school after a 2 1/2 year break, they may be
    willing to forgive my earlier record. I'm sure I'd need great MCAT scores, too.

    Am I just kidding myself though? Even if I do well from here on out, are medical schools likely to
    not accept me because of my undergrad GPA? I want honest opinons. I don't want to waste my time, but
    on the other hand, I don't want to not try and then always wonder if I could have been a doctor.

    If you read this far, thanks for bearing with me. 🙂

  2. Hi Erin,

    I think it's great that you've been able to turn things around. You're correct that you may still
    have problems getting into medical school, since your overall GPA will still be low. However, there
    may be some schools that give more weight to your more recent 4.0 work, especially if your MCAT
    scores are above average (say 33 or better).

    I suggest you consider one more thing. During the 15 months your medical school application is being
    processed (from June through the following Sept), start working on a graduate degree in biology,
    chemistry, or physics. This way, if you have to reapply to medical school, you'll have a 4.0 GPA
    over your 30 post-bacc premed credits plus another 30 or more graduate credits. This, combined with
    an above-average MCAT score, should make you a competitive applicant.

    I talk about this on my web site under the topic "Second Chance".

    Best of luck.

    --
    Mike
    George Washington University School of Medicine
    nontraditionalmedicalstudent.comnontraditionalmedicalstudent.com

    "Erin" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Hi. I've been doing my pre-requisites for a post-baccalaureate
    nursing program, but for various reasons I'm thinking about applying
    to medical school instead. I'm wondering, though, if I'd have a
    chance or if I'd be wasting my time. I'm 25, and I earned a B.A. in
    French when I was 21. My grades from that degree are a little spotty,
    and my overall GPA was 2.95. Honestly, I wasn't very motivated and a
    little immature.

    I took a couple of years off to get married and start a family (I'm
    expecting our second baby this summer), and now that I'm back in
    school this year, I am handling school much better. Last semester I
    took Chemistry, Anatomy, and Psychology and got straight A's. From
    that and from my high school honors science courses (I took no science
    classes when I got my French degree) I know I am good at science and
    can get A's when I apply myself.

    So, I'm thinking about taking two years to complete my pre-requisites,
    and applying to medical school. My thinking is that though my overall
    GPA won't be very good, if my science classes are good and if they see
    that I improved after returning to school after a 2 1/2 year break,
    they may be willing to forgive my earlier record. I'm sure I'd need
    great MCAT scores, too.

    Am I just kidding myself though? Even if I do well from here on out,
    are medical schools likely to not accept me because of my undergrad
    GPA? I want honest opinons. I don't want to waste my time, but on
    the other hand, I don't want to not try and then always wonder if I
    could have been a doctor.

    If you read this far, thanks for bearing with me. 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.