Thinking about Jamis Quest

Randy W. Sims

Guest
Epic Bikes in McDonogh, GA has this bike at around $1239 + 10% off.
Steel frame with Shimano 105 components. Is this the one? I'm thinking
about getting it tomorrow or Saturday. Any pros & cons? Other bikes I
should consider? Is this too much bike for me, starting out?

Is that too many questions?

Everyone here has been really helpfull, with lots of suggestions and
advice in my previous thread ("What style bike for around-the-block
light exercise?"). I'd be gratefull for any further advice here as I get
ready to make my final choice.

Thanks,
Randy.

Wouldn't be my first choice, though I think it's a mighty fine bike for
someone who's going to ride fast for 20-30 miles for one to one and a
half hour outings.
It is not a cruise around the subdivision bicycle.

If they cut the stem too short you will be uncomfortable and it's hard
to fix. Make sure they cut on the long side, meaning the bars are level
with the saddle. You can go lower later when you've acquired the
flexibility. Don't count on the flexibility... I'd get at least a 1,000
miles on it before I cut the stem as low as I see on the Jamis site.

Of course, my advice comes with a grain of salt, I wouldn't pay any
money for a bicycle I couldn't put fenders on. I hate cleaning crud out
of the drive train and I hate wearing it after the thundershower
catches me out and about.

Thu, 25 Aug 2005 17:43:33 -0400,
<[email protected]>, "Randy W. Sims"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Epic Bikes in McDonogh, GA has this bike at around $1239 + 10% off.
>Steel frame with Shimano 105 components. Is this the one? I'm thinking
>about getting it tomorrow or Saturday. Any pros & cons? Other bikes I
>should consider? Is this too much bike for me, starting out?
>
>Is that too many questions?

Here's some more.
Have you ridden it? Do you like it? Does it fit? Is the shop
atmosphere comfortable? Was the shop staff helpful and attentive to
your needs? Did they listen to you or just up-sell you? (IIRC you were
looking to spend ~$800) Are you getting the 2005 model? Can they
still order a 2004 model? (lighter weight, more spokes, black paint)
Will your budget allow the accessories? Can you see yourself
comfortably cruising around your neighbourhood on this bike? (To my
eye it looks like a bike that sits around dreaming of going fast on
the open road.)

Jamis has an excellent reputation for being a good value.
--
zk

Will wrote:
> Wouldn't be my first choice, though I think it's a mighty fine bike for
> someone who's going to ride fast for 20-30 miles for one to one and a
> half hour outings.
> It is not a cruise around the subdivision bicycle.

In what way specifically? This is one of the things I was trying to find
out earlier when asking about bike styles. I want something I can ride
locally, but I also want the option of longer treks on bike trails.

What alternatives would you consider?

> If they cut the stem too short you will be uncomfortable and it's hard
> to fix. Make sure they cut on the long side, meaning the bars are level
> with the saddle. You can go lower later when you've acquired the
> flexibility. Don't count on the flexibility... I'd get at least a 1,000
> miles on it before I cut the stem as low as I see on the Jamis site.

That is something on my list to make sure the stem height will be
comfortable starting out, but I hadn't yet gone over this particular
bike with any of the people at the bike shop.

> Of course, my advice comes with a grain of salt, I wouldn't pay any
> money for a bicycle I couldn't put fenders on. I hate cleaning crud out
> of the drive train and I hate wearing it after the thundershower
> catches me out and about.

Ah, yeah. That was mentioned before. How do I know what bikes can have
fenders attached, or the rear mounted racks? I don't know how much of an
issue this will be for me, but it would be usefull to know.

Thanks,
Randy.

Randy W. Sims wrote:
> Epic Bikes in McDonogh, GA has this bike at around $1239 + 10% off.
> Steel frame with Shimano 105 components. Is this the one? I'm thinking
> about getting it tomorrow or Saturday. Any pros & cons? Other bikes I
> should consider? Is this too much bike for me, starting out?

It doesn't look like a bike I'd get, largely because of the low spoke
count wheels, but you might like it.

> Is that too many questions?

Yes.

;)

> Everyone here has been really helpfull, with lots of suggestions and
> advice in my previous thread ("What style bike for around-the-block
> light exercise?"). I'd be gratefull for any further advice here as I get
> ready to make my final choice.

Check out Mike J's page on "How to test ride a road bike" (off
www.chainreaction.com) before you try that one, or any other, road bike.
Go try it out, and see what you think. If you think it's tolerable
now, it won't be later. If it makes you fall in love all over again,
that's the one!

Pat

Thu, 25 Aug 2005 18:21:08 -0400,
<[email protected]> wrote:

> How do I know what bikes can have
>fenders attached, or the rear mounted racks?

Look for threaded eyelets on the drop-outs and fork ends. There are
ways to compensate for their lack but it's easier when they're already
there.

Look for large amounts of clearance between the tire and frame.
Consider that you might want wider tires at some point, especially if
you start loading the bike with stuff.
--
zk

I've never had a Jamis, but they always seemed to represent good value to
me. The Quest is a very nice, steel-frame road bike for the price, and, as
good as any other at that price point. Just make sure you test ride it and
that you don't get carried away with the idea of buying a bike right away.
From pictures I've seen of it, they seem to have left a fair amount of fork
height, but, you will still be bent over quite a bit, as is the fashion with
road bikes nowadays. This is not everyone's cup of tea. It wouldn't be mine.
I'm not sure of the exact price, but if it were me, I would be looking at
the Bianchi Volpe for a terrific, production all-round road-type bike.

..

Pierre-Georges wrote:
> I've never had a Jamis, but they always seemed to represent good value to
> me. The Quest is a very nice, steel-frame road bike for the price, and, as
> good as any other at that price point. Just make sure you test ride it and
> that you don't get carried away with the idea of buying a bike right away.
> From pictures I've seen of it, they seem to have left a fair amount of fork
> height, but, you will still be bent over quite a bit, as is the fashion with
> road bikes nowadays. This is not everyone's cup of tea. It wouldn't be mine.
> I'm not sure of the exact price, but if it were me, I would be looking at
> the Bianchi Volpe for a terrific, production all-round road-type bike.

Grrr. This is too hard. =) Maybe I'm trying too hard to rush my
decision. Ideally, I could go to *one* shop that carried all brands &
models, and I could spend all day talking to knowledgable sales people,
making test rides, etc. But I find one store on this side of town that
carries Trek, Giant, Cannondale. Another store across town carries
LeMond & Bianchi. etc, etc.

Ah, well. Life would be dull if everything was ideal.

I see basically two /road/ bikes that have steel frames, 105 components
& drop bars (& triple cranks which would be good for going up to GA
Mountians & Scenic Highways): the Jamis Quest and the Speciallized
Allez. Both of those are at the top end of my budget for the bike itself
(not incl accessories). The Bianchie Volpe has steel frame but not the
105 components. The Jamis and the Speciallized see to have pretty much
the same design.

Are fenders a big deal?

Randy.

Randy W. Sims wrote:
> Epic Bikes in McDonogh, GA has this bike at around $1239 + 10% off.
> Steel frame with Shimano 105 components. Is this the one? I'm thinking
> about getting it tomorrow or Saturday. Any pros & cons? Other bikes I
> should consider? Is this too much bike for me, starting out?
>
> Is that too many questions?
>
> Everyone here has been really helpfull, with lots of suggestions and
> advice in my previous thread ("What style bike for around-the-block
> light exercise?"). I'd be gratefull for any further advice here as I get
> ready to make my final choice.

Good choice, but did you look at the Lemond Poprad? Similar price,
around $1080 after the 10% off.

Same warning about being sure that they don't cut the steer tube too short.

"Randy W. Sims" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...

> Are fenders a big deal?
>
> Randy.

It depends what you intend to use the bike for. My first dropbar 10-speed in
1971 came with fenders. I took them off almost immediately and I've never
had fenders since on any bike. But, I don't need them, because I'm not
commuting or anything like that. If it happens to rain while I'm riding, I
just get wet and dirty, because it doesn't matter to me. I would rather not
deal with the extra weight, squeeking, etc. My road bike will never have
fenders, even though it's got the room and the braze-ons for them. If I ever
need a fendered bike, I'll buy another bike for that.

I once had a Shimano 105 bike, and I had a couple of hybrids with Deore
components. Deore is pretty nice too, and it works great, but it's really
more of a mountain bike group which started out life as a touring bike
group. In that sense, it's suitable for both.

When I say "don't get carried away", it's because I've done that myself. I
once came home with a mid-range road bike that really could only be setup as
a full-on racing bike. Boy, was it uncomfortable, stiff and unforgiving. No
thanks. Fortunately, I was able to return it a couple of weeks later.

Pierre

Randy W. Sims wrote:

> Are fenders a big deal?

Nope. Especially if the team van is close behind to provide rain gear.
It also helps to have the team mechanic available to detail the bike,
swap out chain, and so forth after a good wet encounter.

Yes, the fenders will slow you down. Figure on cruising at 18 mph
instead of 18.05 mph.

If you must have a carbon fork, there is always the Alpha Q XC. Plenty
of clearance for a touring tire (and a fender) <g>. Perhaps the LBS
will swap out the stock fork that comes with the bike...

Will

Randy W. Sims wrote:

> I see basically two /road/ bikes that have steel frames, 105 components
> & drop bars (& triple cranks which would be good for going up to GA
> Mountians & Scenic Highways): the Jamis Quest and the Speciallized
> Allez. Both of those are at the top end of my budget for the bike itself
> (not incl accessories). The Bianchie Volpe has steel frame but not the
> 105 components. The Jamis and the Speciallized see to have pretty much
> the same design.
>
> Are fenders a big deal?

You're getting hung up on secondary characteristics. A complete 105
group means it's a racing style bike, and that means you're not going
to be seeing more versatile bikes that might suit you better. Steel
frames, while desirable, aren't present on every good bike.

Fit, comfort, and suitability to task are what's important; if the
nature of the task isn't immediately apparent, or might change, then
versatility moves up the list.

Racing bikes are often uncomfortable for new riders, and they're
definitely not versatile.

The Volpe is a great bike. It *can't* have 105 components because they
would make it a different bike than it's designed to be. But its
components are perfectly fine, and it's going to be a more comfortable
bike that is easily adaptable for fitness riding, touring, or utility
riding.

At the Jamis dealer, look at an Aurora. Much more versatile bike than
the Quest, and considerably less expensive.

But you should not even be thinking about specific models until you
have test-ridden several bikes of different types and gotten a clearer
idea of what will fit you. Fit is the most important characteristic of
a bike, just as it is with a pair of shoes. If it hurts you to ride the
bike, you won't ride it, and fit is largely what determines that.
Choosing a shop that understands this and has the time and expertise to
give you an optimal fit is ultimately going to matter more than the
specific bike you buy.

RichC

Randy W. Sims wrote:

> Are fenders a big deal?

If you ride in the rain with fenders, you don't get the dirty wet stripe
on your backside from mud and muck thrown up by the tires. Of course
the cost is a slight weight penalty, and possibly a slight drop in
speed. Full fenders can also be helpful if you ride on roads that might
have small stones or sand particles on them, which are thrown up against
the frame and your shins by the front wheel.

rdclark wrote:

> You're getting hung up on secondary characteristics.

R.

I am guilty of bringing the fender variable to the table earlier in the
thread. My concern was really: versatility. A bike with no frame
clearance for fenders, short reach brakes, etc... tends to get set up
as a racer. And tends to become another great looking, go-fast bike
hanging on hooks in the garage.

I like your Volpe suggestion. That could rig out nicely...

Will

Will wrote:
> rdclark wrote:
>
> > You're getting hung up on secondary characteristics.

> R.
>
> I am guilty of bringing the fender variable to the table earlier in the
> thread. My concern was really: versatility. A bike with no frame
> clearance for fenders, short reach brakes, etc... tends to get set up
> as a racer. And tends to become another great looking, go-fast bike
> hanging on hooks in the garage.

I think you're absolutely right, and it makes little sense to buy a
bike that's optimized for the one thing your least likely to want to do
with it.

It's very common for people who become hooked on cycling to want to
integrate it into their daily lives: commuting, errand-running, etc.
"Can I commute on my <name of racing bike here>?" is one of our more
common questions. The answer is usually "Yes, but...," and then the
thread immedately starts talking about how much more practical touring
and some cyclocross bikes are for all-around use.

On the other hand, people who start out with such bikes are rarely
anything but very happy with them.

RichC

In article <[email protected]>,
Randy W. Sims <[email protected]> wrote:
>Pierre-Georges wrote:
>
>Ah, well. Life would be dull if everything was ideal.
>
>I see basically two /road/ bikes that have steel frames, 105 components
>& drop bars (& triple cranks which would be good for going up to GA
>Mountians & Scenic Highways): the Jamis Quest and the Speciallized
>Allez.

_ Tiagra is perfectly acceptable, heck even Sora works very well
compared to what used to be top of the line 30 years ago. For
the most part anything with a Shimano name on it is going to work
well. What you pay extra for is reduced weight, fancier polish
and very minor gains in functionality. The 105 groupset is a good
deal, but you can put thousands and thousands of miles on the
lower end Shimano stuff. I would not reject the Volpe based on
it's components. The only reason I can see to insist on 105 over
Tiagra if there is some difference in the way the shifters work
that really bothers you.

> Both of those are at the top end of my budget for the bike itself
>(not incl accessories). The Bianchie Volpe has steel frame but not the
>105 components. The Jamis and the Speciallized see to have pretty much
>the same design.

_ Get the Volpe, it's a very nice bike and with slick tires, you
won't notice the difference. If you can try and demo the bike
with both the knobbies it comes with and some slick tires.
With slick skinny tires on I think you'll be hard pressed to
notice much difference between that bike and the Quest.

>Are fenders a big deal?

_ If you never ride in the rain or on the dirt they aren't that
big a deal. If you ever think you might ride in the rain, they
are a huge deal IMHO. I would avoid a bike that can't have
fenders for one other reason, it's generally a sign that you can't
put fat tires on it. If you're on the heavy side, you'll be
a lot happier on 28mm slicks than the 23mm that come on most
bikes. Less flats, less wheel problems and a much more
comfortable ride.

_ Booker C. Bense

I made the suggestion earlier about considering a bike like the Bianchi
Volpe (or at least, I was among others to make that suggestion, I think).
However, to play devil's advocate to my own suggestion, if what you really
want is to enjoy the tight handling and quick acceleration of a road racing
bike, then go for it. A bike is not that expensive compared to other common
items people buy for themselves, so, it's not like you can't buy a second
bike for more mundane uses sometime in the future. There is something to be
said about the feel of a road racer compared to a touring bike. But it may
take some physical adaptation by a new rider. Only you can decide what's
important for you. For example, there are many arguments in favour of
fenders. Personally, I hate fenders, so I don't have any. That's my
decision. A bike purchase is one of the few things we can buy where we can
really imprint our personality into it. That's part of the fun. There is no
perfect bike, just bikes that satisfy certain needs, both physically and
emotionally.

Pierre

I have had good luck with the Jamis I bought my son. It seems like a
good value. Very light and responsive. But check out how much
Performance is charging for this model. $1,200 list seems a little
high to me. The only complaint I have about my son's bike is that the
factory-built wheels were nothing to write home about. They don't seem
to have been properly stress-relieved, and started to creak and click
soon after we bought the bike. I remedied this by rebuilding the rear
with DT 14-gauge non-butted spokes. I would not criticize Jamis unduly
about this, however. It seems that all bikes which are built to a
price point have fairly poorly-built wheels, and that you would have to
spend a lot more to get a bike with very carefully-built ones.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I have had good luck with the Jamis I bought my son. It seems like a
> good value. Very light and responsive. But check out how much
> Performance is charging for this model. $1,200 list seems a little
> high to me. The only complaint I have about my son's bike is that the
> factory-built wheels were nothing to write home about. They don't seem
> to have been properly stress-relieved, and started to creak and click
> soon after we bought the bike. I remedied this by rebuilding the rear
> with DT 14-gauge non-butted spokes. I would not criticize Jamis unduly
> about this, however. It seems that all bikes which are built to a
> price point have fairly poorly-built wheels, and that you would have to
> spend a lot more to get a bike with very carefully-built ones.

IMO, wheel prep on machine-built wheels, including stress-relieving and
re-tensioning, is part of what I expect from the bike shop as part of
assembly and setup of the bike. And it's a good way to separate the good
shops from the bad ones; the bad ones act like they don't know what you're
talking about (or they really don't, which is just as bad in a different
way).

I have a couple of friends with Jamis bikes that have been good performers
and good values. It's a brand I wouldn't hesitate to buy if I was in the
market for something they make.

RichC