Thinking of a new frame

Anthony Sloan

Guest
Wanting something of a trail bike.

Thoughts are running towards a Hammerhead 100x, A Blur or a Spider. I think the Spider may be set up
as a pur xc racer, but it is difficult to find many specifics on it.

Any input from the peanut gallery?

My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Wanting something of a trail bike.
>
> Thoughts are running towards a Hammerhead 100x, A Blur or a Spider. I think the Spider may be set
> up as a pur xc racer, but it is difficult to find many specifics on it.
>
> Any input from the peanut gallery?

There's some good deals on last years Intense Tracer's around. It's an excellent trail bike and
built for the long haul if you aren't looking for a pure XC racer. But it's light enough to race if
you take a mind to. Put a Marzocchi Marathon on the front of it for a really well balanced FS bike.
I have been very pleased with mine.

I'm not convinced VPP is the holy grail they have been looking for. There's things going on with
rear shocks right now like 5th element valving that can make a single pivot bike pedal like a FSR.
The SC Bullit is a whole new bike with that shock on it. The Tracer still has the ol' Fox Float on
it but it's been good to me.

Mike

Anthony Sloan wrote:

> Wanting something of a trail bike.
>
> Thoughts are running towards a Hammerhead 100x, A Blur or a Spider. I think the Spider may be set
> up as a pur xc racer, but it is difficult to find many specifics on it.
>
> Any input from the peanut gallery?

> My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.

There's not much info on the Spider yet because it does not exist yet. The finalized version is not
out, so any comments that you hear refer to prototype bikes. It's rumored to be lighter than the
Blur, but other than that who knows?

I own a Blur - build up a frame last November. I'd have trouble imagining a better bike, for XC or
trail riding. It does everything - climb, descend, handle - really well. I've heard good things
about the Hammerhead, but never ridden it. Another option is the Klein Palamino - nice bike at a
nice price.

Try as many bikes as you can and decide what feels best to you.

Eric Lafferty wrote:

>Anthony Sloan wrote:
>

>>Wanting something of a trail bike.
>>
>>Thoughts are running towards a Hammerhead 100x, A Blur or a Spider. I think the Spider may be set
>>up as a pur xc racer, but it is difficult to find many specifics on it.
>>
>>Any input from the peanut gallery?

>>--
>>My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.
>>

>There's not much info on the Spider yet because it does not exist yet. The finalized version is not
>out, so any comments that you hear refer to prototype bikes. It's rumored to be lighter than the
>Blur, but other than that who knows?
>
>I own a Blur - build up a frame last November. I'd have trouble imagining a better bike, for XC or
>trail riding. It does everything - climb, descend, handle - really well. I've heard good things
>about the Hammerhead, but never ridden it. Another option is the Klein Palamino - nice bike at a
>nice price.
>
>Try as many bikes as you can and decide what feels best to you.

It would be nice to try a bunch of these, unfortunately there's not a lot of opportunity to do so.
The Palomino/Maverick platform is interesting, but my legs are too long for it. Once I get the
seatpost up high enough, the seattube angle puts me way, way back on the bike.

The Spyder seems interesting, but I'm leaning Blurward at this point.

"Anthony Sloan" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> Eric Lafferty wrote:
>
> >Anthony Sloan wrote:
> >

> >>Wanting something of a trail bike.
> >>
> >>Thoughts are running towards a Hammerhead 100x, A Blur or a Spider. I think the Spider may be
> >>set up as a pur xc racer, but it is difficult to find many specifics on it.
> >>
> >>Any input from the peanut gallery?

> >>--
> >>My hands are full of thorns but I can't quit groping for the rose.
> >>

> >There's not much info on the Spider yet because it does not exist yet.
The
> >finalized version is not out, so any comments that you hear refer to prototype bikes. It's
> >rumored to be lighter than the Blur, but other
than
> >that who knows?
> >
> >I own a Blur - build up a frame last November. I'd have trouble
imagining
> >a better bike, for XC or trail riding. It does everything - climb, descend, handle - really well.
> >I've heard good things about the Hammerhead, but never ridden it. Another option is the Klein
> >Palamino - nice bike at a nice price.
> >
> >Try as many bikes as you can and decide what feels best to you.
> >

> It would be nice to try a bunch of these, unfortunately there's not a lot of opportunity to do so.
> The Palomino/Maverick platform is interesting, but my legs are too long for it. Once I get the
> seatpost up high enough, the seattube angle puts me way, way back on the bike.
>
> The Spyder seems interesting, but I'm leaning Blurward at this point.

I'm really enjoying my S-Works FSR, which is the Epic made from lighter materials. My three to
choose from would be My S-Works, The Blur, and the Palomino. The S-Works' biggest drawback is the
price. If you work at a shop or have some kind of "in" you might be able to do quite a bit better
than retail. That's how I got mine.

Matt

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Wanting something of a trail bike.
<snip brand names>
> Any input from the peanut gallery?

Names is for tombstones, baby.

You know what bike you should get, so why ask?

JD

JD wrote:

>Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:<[email protected]>...
>

>>Wanting something of a trail bike.
>>

><snip brand names>
>

>>Any input from the peanut gallery?
>>

>Names is for tombstones, baby.

Wasted kb.

>You know what bike you should get, so why ask?
>
>JD

Sorry, I confused the ego parade for a mountain biking newsgroup...again.

I have been out of the bike industry for almost a year now. Much has happened. I've been too busy
riding to nerd my way through every article on every bike. I do know what bike I should get, a 4x4
"trail bike" (for lack of a better descriptor). I posted this question to augment what information I
already have.

Thanks for your help.

Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> JD wrote:
>
> >Anthony Sloan <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:<[email protected]>...
> >

> >>Wanting something of a trail bike.
> >>

> ><snip brand names>
> >

> >>Any input from the peanut gallery?
> >>

> >Names is for tombstones, baby.
> >
> Wasted kb.

Describing the thread.

> >You know what bike you should get, so why ask?
> >
> >JD
> >

> Sorry, I confused the ego parade for a mountain biking newsgroup...again.

Will you ever learn?

> I have been out of the bike industry for almost a year now. Much has happened. I've been too busy
> riding to nerd my way through every article on every bike. I do know what bike I should get, a 4x4
> "trail bike" (for lack of a better descriptor). I posted this question to augment what information
> I already have.

You know the standard answer here. Test ride them all. Someone who rides as much as you do should
know what's going to be right as soon as you hop on and start riding. You know what to look for in
the fabrication and material(s) used. FS designs haven't had any super revelations in the last few
years either. Augment from people you don't ride with, nor have met. Did you mistake this for
mtbr(etards)? Don't you have several friends that you ride with whose opinions you trust?

> Thanks for your help.

Any time.

JD