Thinking Of Changing My Crankset

Damn! I just looked at a downhill (-1% average over 3.1 miles with a couple of upgrade stretches towards the end and with a total descent of 231') segment and WooHoo! I'm in 4th place at 27.2 MPH (43.77 KPH) and 298 screaming Watts of raw powah! And I'm ahead of one of the local Cat. 2's that's in 5th place.

I so ****ing rule!

Not. That's slug speed.

It's all meaningless until you to get on a starting line and you're trying to kick the ass of guys that are trying to kick your ass.

There's a big difference between 'compete' and 'participate'.

I didn't even know it was a segment when I rode this effort. All I remember was The Boy Wonder (current KOM holder of this segment) blasted away from me like the afterburners were on full tilt boogie. I probably had a ****-eating grin on my face as I pounded the 11 from 200 yards back trying to stay in the same county as him.

Gears. They're for having fun in.

You are just jealous because my Europa! is faster then yours! :D

You dig ;) ?

Look_695_Aerolight_photo_1.jpg

Somebody stole the brakes and propped it up with a stick for the gypsies to swipe the DoItyourself2 stuff.

CAMPYBOB said:
Somebody stole the brakes and propped it up with a stick for the gypsies to swipe the DoItyourself2 stuff.

Le brakes are "embedded" my New World Amigo! :D 4 yo Climbing - and- Sprinting effisssiency! :D

Zey are FEM KONTROLLIERT! (IN Europa!) zo they are extra ****** TM, and not cause a catastrophic frame Failure! (In South Paris).

I didnt get the stick part but yes, the crank is alzo IN-HAUSE! Zupa Stiff, YouAreNowOurBiatch4EVA TM Technology! Non-Standard! :D

He Is A SMEG! AND EATS SCHLANGER! :D

abbey-lee-mad-max-1.png

It's all because Cannonwhale aloominium rides better than a 1967 Hetchins with curly stays and a Bates Diadrent fork! And Si cranks are "all-conquering"!

Thudders unite!

This reminds me that I should be doing some work on my drive train.

It's more rickety then an Amsterdam Commuter. :D

Hose it down with kerosene or diesel and lube it back up. It'll be fine.

Just 50 miles in 50° temps today, but the Campagnolo ran smoothly and silently.

Almost time to switch over to the shitmaNO bike and the track bike. One more week of (possible) warm weather ahead before all Hell breaks loose.

The chain slips from the rear mech pulleys. I think I need to check it now that its clean and me sober.

Hopefuly just a bent Cage...

why this stuff always happens on Sundays is the real mystery... :D

Nope, it won't work as your current crankset has 110mm BCD chainrings, and the FC-6600 has 130mm BCD chainrings. BCD = Bolt Circle Diameter.

You can get 53/39 chainrings that will fit onto 110mm BCD cranksets. They might be FC-6800 specific chainrings or after market ones from a different manufacturer. You'd best check with a bike shop as to what is available if you want bigger chainrings.

you shouldn't use 110 bolt circle on a 53. It probably doesn't matter but strong riders can twist it on the cranks. That is why compacts and full size cranks have different bolt circle diameters.

Hey there! ️ As an experienced cyclist, I gotta say, using a 110 bolt circle on a 53 might not be the best idea. You're right, it probably won't make a huge difference, but us strong riders can still twist it on the cranks. That's why they make compacts and full-size cranks with different bolt circle diameters. Safety first, mate! ‍♂️

I<3Carbs here! I totally get what you're saying about those long, flat segments. Been there, struggled through that! As a cyclist and an astrophysics student, I'm always intrigued by the physics of it all. How many watts do you think you're putting out to maintain a 30ish average? I've had to work on my cadence and gear selection to tackle similar stretches. Any tips for improving efficiency? ;)

I'm not so strong (understatement), but watch the pros pound the 11 and 12 for kilometer after kilometer upgrade and down. Amateurs do the same thing at slightly lower power/speeds and for less duration. Like OBC said, it's mainly a racer thing, but its use is certainly not exclusive to racers. When you have 5 or 50 strong riders sailing along there will be times where turning the 11 (or the 12 a little faster) is mandatory.

LOL this dude probably no longer even rides.
Hey there! ️ As an experienced cyclist, I gotta say, using a 110 bolt circle on a 53 might not be the best idea. You're right, it probably won't make a huge difference, but us strong riders can still twist it on the cranks. That's why they make compacts and full-size cranks with different bolt circle diameters. Safety first, mate! ‍♂️
Why not, it'd be fine for pretty much anyone. How many watts would it take to twist or bend the chainring? Even if someone is sprinting at 1500w it wouldn't be an issue, clearly riding at 250-350 wouldn't either. Anyway Mr experienced, keen to hear your opinion.

Absolutely! You can definitely use the FC-6600 cranks with your BB330 bottom bracket. Just swap out the chainrings and keep the old crankset as spare parts. Easy peasy!