Thinking Of Changing My Crankset

dwcutrell

Oct 26, 2015
Thinking of swapping out my road bikes crankset from a Shimano Ultegra 6800 compact 50/34 10spd crank to a Shimano Ultegra FC-6600 52/39T 10-Speed Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket... my bike has a BB330 bottom bracket.... so I'm just thinking of swapping out the chainrings from the new set if it will work & keep the cranks as spare parts.

Is this possible?

Thanks...

Nope, it won't work as your current crankset has 110mm BCD chainrings, and the FC-6600 has 130mm BCD chainrings. BCD = Bolt Circle Diameter.

You can get 53/39 chainrings that will fit onto 110mm BCD cranksets. They might be FC-6800 specific chainrings or after market ones from a different manufacturer. You'd best check with a bike shop as to what is available if you want bigger chainrings.

dwcutrell said:
Thinking of swapping out my road bikes crankset from a Shimano Ultegra 6800 compact 50/34 10spd crank to a Shimano Ultegra FC-6600 52/39T 10-Speed Crankset w/ Bottom Bracket... my bike has a BB330 bottom bracket.... so I'm just thinking of swapping out the chainrings from the new set if it will work & keep the cranks as spare parts.

Is this possible?
Can you swap the on Shimano crankset for the other? Yes.

Can you swap chainrings between any "compact" and a "regular" crankset? No.

As 62vette and oldbobcat (in your duplicate post) mentioned, the BCD is different.

FWIW. Since (IMO) there is little practical, real world difference for regular riders [particularly, for Flatlanders] between a 50t & 52t chainring, I may be incorrectly presuming that you want a larger inner chainring ...

IF that is correct, then you could simply replace the 34t chainring with an appropriate/asymmetric 110BCD chainring which has more teeth ...

Of course, you could change the outer chainring, too ...

AND/OR, you could consider replacing your current cassette with one which has a tighter stack (e.g., 11-21 or 11-23) chosen based on the largest Cog you are currently using when-and-where you ride.

50* 14 is about 40+Kmh... 50*12 is even worst. :D

Why would you need a 53? :D

Volnix said:
50* 14 is about 40+Kmh... 50*12 is even worst. :D

Why would you need a 53? :D
I can think of one reason to want taller gearing.

Now that the fall winds are upon us, the STRAVA KOM game is in full effect. I find myself getting close to spinning out with my 52x12 on fast segments with an ample tailwind. By spinning out, I mean pedaling at a cadence that is less efficient for me since I prefer to be in 80 to 95 RPM when the segment is more than a minute long. I could probably shave a second or two of a few segments if I was using an 11 at the time.

I kinda started to dislike speeding over 40kmh.

I also got a bit "over" Strava since I only use it for private segments now and most of the public ones are death traps anyway.

Everything happens faster, including trashing the bike and having accidents, which at this speed can be more serious more easily.

40kmh on an occational sprint or descent is fine for me. :)

I really dont need a 53... Actually I would be just fine with a 42 and 12-25 rear... I shift all the time and a " tighter" range would be much smoother.

maydog said:
I can think of one reason to want taller gearing.

Now that the fall winds are upon us, the STRAVA KOM game is in full effect. I find myself getting close to spinning out with my 52x12 on fast segments with an ample tailwind. By spinning out, I mean pedaling at a cadence that is less efficient for me since I prefer to be in 80 to 95 RPM when the segment is more than a minute long. I could probably shave a second or two of a few segments if I was using an 11 at the time.
Well (probably due to old age), even when going downhill on mountain roads AND when the chain is on a 53t-or-52t outer chainring (different cranks have different outer chainrings). it often seems pretty tough to turn the crank efficiently when the chain is on the smallest Cogs (my Cassettes have an 11t Cog) ...

There's very little difference in gearing in the big chainring between compact and standard. 53x12 is just about the same as 50/11, or the equivalent of losing one small cog on the rear. 50x11 at 90rpm is around 51kph, you get the same speed using a 53x12, and 53kph on 53x11.

If you like the smaller gearing the compact gives you when climbing, put an 11-28 cassette on and you've lost virtually nothing on the gearing in the big chainring. This is what I ride on, 50/34 and 11-28 and I haven't found a situation where I wish I had a 53 on the front and I can either spin or grunt up the hills by choosing the gear of my choice when climbing.

For a relatively strong flatlander, the 34 inner ring will get little to no use. I ride 53x39 double and 52x42x30 triple cranksets. On the double I have been in the 39 ring maybe 3 times this year for maybe less than 20 minutes of riding. I use the 42 much more fequently on the triples as I am usually alone or commuting.

Maybe there is more to be gained by just changing the inner ring, making the gap smaller. I found 36 and 38 tooth 110bcd chainrings easy enough online.

For the intimidation factor, there are also 56 tooth outer 110 bcd chainrings - sweet, match that with a 14x25 cassette, then you will be showing a lot of ring and chain.

maydog said:
For a relatively strong flatlander, the 34 inner ring will get little to no use. I ride 53x39 double and 52x42x30 triple cranksets. On the double I have been in the 39 ring maybe 3 times this year for maybe less than 20 minutes of riding. I use the 42 much more fequently on the triples as I am usually alone or commuting.

Maybe there is more to be gained by just changing the inner ring, making the gap smaller. I found 36 and 38 tooth 110bcd chainrings easy enough online.

For the intimidation factor, there are also 56 tooth outer 110 bcd chainrings - sweet, match that with a 14x25 cassette, then you will be showing a lot of ring and chain.
Well, I would think that relatively strong Flatlanders who have "compact" cranksets can use their 34t inner chainring to pull tree stumps ... :)

alfeng said:
Well, I would think that relatively strong Flatlanders who have "compact" cranksets can use their 34t inner chainring to pull tree stumps ... :)
I like that.

If my wife ever convinces me that we should retire in Florida, I'll be trading my compact crankset for a 53-39. and selling all my 11-tooth cassettes. 53x11 is for racers only, or duffers who can't spin. I used a 53x11 once, on a long straight shot down Lefthand Canyon. And I didn't use it because it was faster than the 12-tooth; I was just too tired and lazy to spin it. Actually, if I lived in Florida, I'd probably be using Junior gearing.

Quote by OBC:
"53x11 is for racers only..."

Yes and no.

I spin out a 53x11 coming off hills on almost every ride and often do so multiple times on a ride. And I'll bang into the 11 on the flats every chance I get just to prove I can still turn it.

When you have a bunch of guys like Maydog in front of you hammering on their 53x11's and 12's you better be on cam in similar gear or be able to twirl faster than that hot majorette back in high school. I want top end.

Hanging on the back of that fast tandem at the Insert Charity Name Here Century next week? Bring yo big dog or don't bother.

Jump that semi that's slowly gathering a head of steam off the rough RR crossing and going to hang on to the next town sign? You ain't got a prayer unless you're flying the silver dollar.

Trying to prove tri-dweebs ain't all that damned speedy and aero? Better get tucked tight and driving hard.

Besides...there are very few times I can gap or drop The Boy Wonder I train with. His cross bike that he does road work on is geared with a 50x12 and his road bike has a semi-compact 52x12. When we get a fast run onto a downgrade or catch the wind just right, my ancient legs can sometimes get the 53x11 turning fast and I'll leave him spun out behind me. THAT, alone, is justification for carrying the big dog around!

Johan Museeuw said, "Why slow down when you can pedal harder?".

Frankly, like the guys still arguing about whether there's a 'need' for 11 speeds (someone...anyone!...please tell me why 10 speeds is better than 11 speeds!!!), I can find no reason NOT to have an 11T bolted to my bike.

Life is short. Ride faster.

CAMPYBOB said:
Frankly, like the guys still arguing about whether there's a 'need' for 11 speeds (someone...anyone!...please tell me why 10 speeds is better than 11 speeds!!!), I can find no reason NOT to have an 11T bolted to my bike.

Life is short. Ride faster.

Here you are hiding... We missed you at the Pneumonia thread. :D

so, interested in turning some of these "undocumented refugees" or whatever the hell they are into Peloton Locomotives? :D

Just give them a 53x11 and just see how fast they are gonna spin that BB through the flats of Hungary and mash it through the Alps to Germany. (That's in Europa!!! you know... :D )

Want some of them Skinny ones? We are using the larger ones selling Zeus at the campus dressed in FUBU Clothes. :D

CAMPYBOB said:
. And I'll bang into the 11 on the flats every chance I get just to prove I can still turn it.

When you have a bunch of guys like Maydog in front of you hammering on their 53x11's and 12's you better be on cam in similar gear or be able to twirl faster than that hot majorette back in high school. I want top end.

Just how fast are you guys going? I know I do a fav segment of mine 7.3 miles long solo best at 22.8 MPH average and I am in a 53 big ring but only mid cassette in the rear. I don't think I could push my 53/12 for too long. So you guys must be some strong riders.

Though I am more of a spinner. I've done 45 mile rides at 18.1 but almost always in my 39 ring.

Attachments

• 0strava10.JPG
    0strava10.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 16
Mr. Beanz said:
Just how fast are you guys going? I know I do a fav segment of mine 7.3 miles long solo best at 22.8 MPH average and I am in a 53 big ring but only mid cassette in the rear. I don't think I could push my 53/12 for too long. So you guys must be some strong riders.

Though I am more of a spinner. I've done 45 mile rides at 18.1 but almost always in my 39 ring.

27-28 kmh... Always! :D

Unless its windy... Then I drop the hammer. :D

"I am the sickness, I am the quickness!" :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D_3Id4TPfg

Sometimes it's only for 100 yards. Sometimes it's a mile of downgrade with a tailwind. However long it is, it's 'going faster'.

I'm not so strong (understatement), but watch the pros pound the 11 and 12 for kilometer after kilometer upgrade and down. Amateurs do the same thing at slightly lower power/speeds and for less duration. Like OBC said, it's mainly a racer thing, but its use is certainly not exclusive to racers. When you have 5 or 50 strong riders sailing along there will be times where turning the 11 (or the 12 a little faster) is mandatory.

Those downhill run videos I posted of coming off Fancy Gap or George's Gap would be entirely in the 11 if you carried one. Even then at those speeds, you're out of legs or gears or both at those steep drop-offs of 15-17%. Pedaling out of a corner at warp speed or carrying your speed on a temporary flat spot I want the gears and there is simply no reason NOT to have it.

That is why God invented Campagnolo and the 11-speed.

Miche has had a 12-speed outfit in production for some time and as some as it becomes a new standard I'll have one. Not for a 10, but for one on the opposite side of the cluster that still allows me to keep the narrow spaced mid to top ratios. That is the primary reason for more gear ratios on a multi-gear bicycle. Going from 5 gears and the 14-21 block I started on 44 years ago to 6-speeds...7-speeds...8-speeds...9-speeds...10-speeds...and now 11-speeds. This has allowed both ends of the usable ratio spectrum to be expanded without increasing the ratio gaps between gear changes.

I may only use the 11 a little less often than my 25, but both are there because I want them there and use them.

+1 for what Bob said.

The tall gears are not used for long durations, but can help to shave a precious few seconds off of a segment or keep you at speed for just a bit longer.

There are plenty of 1 to 7 mile flat segments around here with 30ish averages.

I sure as Hell could never in my long cycling career turn a 53x11 over for 7 miles unless it was a loooong downhill run.

In a pack of fast dogs rotating off the front, yeah, I'll sit back, read a good book and pound away in whatever gear at whatever RPM's it takes have a good view seat post clamps in front of me.

Quote by Maydog:
"There are plenty of 1 to 7 mile flat segments around here with 30ish averages."

Same here. And they ALL belong to somebody else! Damnit!

I can't even get a DOWNHILL KOM these days! And I have never ceased to be amazed by the flat segment speeds turned in by non-racer dudes I've never heard of in my AO! I'm going to have to strap my Garmin on one of my Harleys just to make the leaderboard on some of those segments.

CAMPYBOB said:
I sure as Hell could never in my long cycling career turn a 53x11 over for 7 miles unless it was a loooong downhill run.

In a pack of fast dogs rotating off the front, yeah, I'll sit back, read a good book and pound away in whatever gear at whatever RPM's it takes have a good view seat post clamps in front of me.

Quote by Maydog:
"There are plenty of 1 to 7 mile flat segments around here with 30ish averages."

Same here. And they ALL belong to somebody else! Damnit!

I can't even get a DOWNHILL KOM these days! And I have never ceased to be amazed by the flat segment speeds turned in by non-racer dudes I've never heard of in my AO! I'm going to have to strap my Garmin on one of my Harleys just to make the leaderboard on some of those segments.

Pssst, budy! :D over here, behind the Gym!

Have you ever heard of "digital EP0"?

what? :D Everybody's using it! :D

I bet that a lot of those koms are Fake.

And even if they arent Im not gonna go over 50 kmh on some of these dodgy descents or start racing Flats in strong winds at 50kmh to beat "Bike Guy 1985"'s strava Kom time...

private segments are actually much more fun for me. :)

http://www.digitalepo.com

header.jpg