Thinking of entering a Dualathon

FHII

May 14, 2013
Hello folks,

Well, the title says it all, doesn't it? I'd like some help working out a program. So let me fill you in on the details:

1. I am thinking (only thinking at this point) of entering the Hagerstown #1 and/or #2 dualathon next year. That gives me 13 - 18 months to train. It'll be a (roughly) 2 mile run, 10 mile ride and a 3 mile run.

2. Why not a triathalon? I don't want to bother swimming! Why a dualathon? Well, I'd rather enter a cycling race by itself, but I'm limited on options in my area and time. Can't do Sunday races. But I'll run just to compete in a cycling race.

3. Am I in shape? Sort of.... Just started running in the last month. Cycling I've been doing for about 3 years. I want to at least place in my age division (I'll be 45 then) and even in the cycling I'll have to shave about 5 minutes off my time. I figure I'll need to run 7 minute miles... That'll take some work!

4. I ride to work which means I put in 20 miles at least 5 days a week. I can't back off of that... After all, it's how I get to work.

5. My bike.... Ummm, well.... It's a Schwinn Varsity right now. Is that ok for racing? (That's a joke!) Ok.... It's a nice bike for what it costs and it's getting me to work, but obviously it isn't the type of bike I can expect to be competitive with. This is one of the reasons I'm only thinking about it and why I'm putting it off for a year. Obviously, I will upgrade by that point.

6. I've googled training programs.... Found some interesting stuff but nothing really that helps me right now. For the time being, I plan to focus on cycling and get to the point where I can conquer the 10 miles in under 30 minutes (the course, by the way, isn't too hilly.... One climb that I saw, but that's just looking at the map).

7. I understand (I think) the concept of "brick training". For now, I am thinking of doing one day of that. I will also run once a week on Saturday.

8. I have no idea what I can run 2 or 3 miles in. So I'm thinking of going out on a couple of runs to get a time for those so I have something to work with in terms of understanding where I'm at now.... Perhaps, even simulating the race altogether.

Thoughts? Comments? Advice?

Thanks in advance!

It's a duathlon.

First things first, gotta get the spelling right. :D

Second thing, if you want to be a really good (and competitive) duathlete, you have to train like a cyclist and train like a runner.

And that takes lots of training time. Not sure how much you'd like to invest, or even what you're capable of, but I'd start out with doing both 5-6 days a week.

1-3 miles a day, and then 15-30 miles a day, with a longer 5-6 mile run and a longer 40-50 mile ride.

And from there, you build and build and build. Your rate of build will be totally up to your ability to handle the workload and recover. Everyone is very different in this regard.

Join a bike club, join a running club. Enter some bike races, enter some running races. Chart your progress, enjoy the training, get your running and your cycling as good as possible individually and the duathlon will take care of itself.

My spelling has been terrible lately, and people have been letting me know it!

Thanks for the pointers. I do plan to put 6 days a week into it. In fact, I'm looking at a 3-5 mile run in a few hours.

I have a done a couple of duathlons. Mostly as a runner that had some cyclist mixed in (running 4x a week and cycling 2x a week). This year I will do a few more as a cyclist with some running mixed in (cycling 4x a week and running 2x a week).

My goal is to create a big aerobic base so I had lots of endurance, and then do lots of lactate threshold work. During the duathlon, the running was all basically at my tempo pace. Cycling was a little above lactate threshold.

The first run is pretty easy. Know your fitness and your pace and stay there. Study some past race results. The vast majority of people run the first leg way too fast. I was shocked to see how some people ran the first run at 6:30 pace, but the final run at 8:00+ pace. I think the key is to really know your fitness, have a race plan, be patient, and stick to it.

During the cycle, Take the first 1/2 mile to ease into it, and the last 1/2 mile to ease out of it. I didn't do any brick workouts, so it took a while for my legs to transition from the cycle to the run. I knew I needed to be patient, and I was, and I passed a lot of people during the 5k run and my legs loosened up and ran faster each mile in the 5k.

I wouldn't worry about your equipment too much. There are lots of tri bikes, and lots of hybrid bikes on the course. Just make sure its rolling smoothly and mechanically sound.

Also, don't worry about placing in your AG or have any super specific goals for your first one. Just put in a hard effort and get through the transitions smoothly. Once you get used to the procedures of the race, you can focus on placing well in future races.

Thanks Charlie....

I like the advice about having a plan and studying past results. I've been reading an old book called "Lactate Threshold Training". It's by a dutch scientist and it basically centers around HR and not going over your threshold too soon. I like the idea, and may be looking to impliment that. Even still, by that time I'll know my pace and may not have to rely on what my HR monitor says. He was against the old idea of trying to go "all out" all the time. That seems pretty close to what you are saying.

I'm still going to try to invest in a better bike, but after what you said, I'm a little bit more at ease. It was going to be a deal breaker for me whether I enter or not, but now not so much....

As for not worrying about my placing.... Not gonna happen! I'm too competitive! However, I will not try to keep a pace that I believe is needed to win if it's clearly above what I'm capable of doing. So I AM going to train to win, but in the end... I'm sensible and if I put in a good result, I'll be happy. Shoot, I'm bound to make mistakes on my first try so I know it'll be asking a bit much to place my first time. Still gonna try! :)

Thanks again....