Thinking of getting a GPS cycle computer

Paul Yates

Guest
Not that I need to upgrade except for the wow factor. I am looking at a
Garmin 305 cycle computer and currently use a Polar 720i. Does anyone know
if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the precision performance
software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier computer? If this can be
done, its it on a file by file basis, or can it be done as a batch (as I
have about 6 year's worth of data I would have to transfer).

Happy trails

Paul Yates wrote:
> Does anyone know
> if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the precision performance
> software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier computer?

No idea, but the Garmin software is probably best described as ordinary.
I know quite a few users that even with the Garmin prefer to use the
Polar HRM for their HR and just use the Garmin for its mapping features

Parbs

Parbs wrote:
> Paul Yates wrote:
>> Does anyone know if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the
>> precision performance software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier
>> computer?

> No idea, but the Garmin software is probably best described as ordinary.
> I know quite a few users that even with the Garmin prefer to use the
> Polar HRM for their HR and just use the Garmin for its mapping features
>
> Parbs

The garmin training software is pretty clunky. The latest version of
Google earth saves pulse data as well as trip data bit doesn't tell you
about zones and so on. Do you really need to transport your data across?
Might be better to use some other software, or may take the garmin
software to polar database.

I have a 305.

Friday

In article <45fd17d2$0$17547$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-
01.iinet.net.au>, [email protected] says...
> Not that I need to upgrade except for the wow factor. I am looking at a
> Garmin 305 cycle computer and currently use a Polar 720i. Does anyone know
> if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the precision performance
> software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier computer? If this can be
> done, its it on a file by file basis, or can it be done as a batch (as I
> have about 6 year's worth of data I would have to transfer).
>
> Happy trails

Try Sportstrack , an excellent program.

http://www.zonefivesoftware.com/SportTracks/

You can import individual polar files not as a batch , but think I can
remember seeing a batch utility in the Discussion Board.

Jeff

Paul wrote
> Not that I need to upgrade except for the wow factor. >

Having tried various gps devices for different applications, the one I like
best is smallest practical with a street directory built in (such as a tom
tom one or similar).

Good for cycling, driving, or on foot when tootling to bits of the world you
ain't bin befer - if you put a 4gig mem card you can fit on it the roads of
Oz, the US/Canada and western Europe on the one card which will cater for a
fair bit of touring.

Works fine in a jersey pocket if you don't want to get cracks from your
mates in the bunch about needing to check your email while riding (if not on
handlebars, can consult slyly when debate rages about where the True Path
lies and thereby acquire undeserved reputation as having a natural bush
sense of direction).

Surprised how much use the family gets out of it - in strange cities, well
worth the $ imho, esp since you can use it in a great many forms of
transport and knowing when to get off freeways in strange cities is rather
useful.

Wouldn't bother with a cycling specific version though - as the prophet
said, the Way lies through less instruments, not more, grasshopper.

hope that helps - Andrew

Paul Yates said:
Not that I need to upgrade except for the wow factor. I am looking at a
Garmin 305 cycle computer and currently use a Polar 720i. Does anyone know
if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the precision performance
software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier computer? If this can be
done, its it on a file by file basis, or can it be done as a batch (as I
have about 6 year's worth of data I would have to transfer).

Happy trails
I've had the Edge since July last year. Fantastic gadget.
Training center is OK, but not great. I'm almost certain you can't import polar files. Although, the files you can import are essentially XML, so you probably could write a program to convert your files if you can code, and have a bit of time.

Paul Yates said:
Not that I need to upgrade except for the wow factor. I am looking at a
Garmin 305 cycle computer and currently use a Polar 720i. Does anyone know
if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the precision performance
software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier computer? If this can be
done, its it on a file by file basis, or can it be done as a batch (as I
have about 6 year's worth of data I would have to transfer).

Happy trails
I've ordered one and await delivery. One can never have too many bike toys:)

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007 22:30:14 +1100, ProfTournesol
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I've ordered one and await delivery. One can never have too many bike
>toys:)

but if it means less bikes?

Paul Yates said:
Not that I need to upgrade except for the wow factor. I am looking at a
Garmin 305 cycle computer and currently use a Polar 720i. Does anyone know
if I can suck all of my polar harm files from the precision performance
software to whatever it is Garmin uses for thier computer? If this can be
done, its it on a file by file basis, or can it be done as a batch (as I
have about 6 year's worth of data I would have to transfer).

Happy trails
installed it (tying on 2 cable ties) and out on the road, no wheel calibration required. So far pretty cool, can't say the same for the Garmin software but at least there is a Mac version.