Thinking of getting a Tommaso....Advice please!

Riggio973

Apr 28, 2007
Hey, I'm pretty new to serious cycling and I'm on the market for a pretty cheap bike so I'm looking at the Tommoso Mondial or Monza...seem like quality bikes with nice components. I have also looked at the Gian OC2. (found very similar prices for all 3 (Monza<OC2<Mondial) I'm leaning toward the Mondial with carbon fork and seat post and ALEX R450 High Performance Wheelset (I know nothing about ALEX wheelsets both seem to have Shimano 105 (monza comes with Tiagra shifter and 105 Rear Derailleur). Am I wrong in picking the Mondial or even the Monza over the OC2? (I don't think the OC2 has carbon fork). Maybe its because the Tommaso is Italian and looks cool... I would really appreciate any help since I am a beginner. Many thanks!!!!!!

I agree that they look good for the money. I just bought my daughter one (an Imola for $399). Good specs for the money. I think the frames are made in Taiwan (at least on their lower end bikes) but that isn't necesarily any different than most bikes these days. And the frame is light enough I wouldn't mind upgrading the components if she gets more serious about riding.

I'd consider them comparable to most big named bikes. Lifetime frame warranty and good support from my limited experiance.

And the bike looks and rides great.

And while I've heard some complain about Alex wheels I've never had a problem and I have DA16's on one bike and DA22's on another and I'm rough on wheels.

Thanks Aeleil...take care

Aeliel said:
I agree that they look good for the money. I just bought my daughter one (an Imola for $399). Good specs for the money. I think the frames are made in Taiwan (at least on their lower end bikes) but that isn't necesarily any different than most bikes these days. And the frame is light enough I wouldn't mind upgrading the components if she gets more serious about riding.

I'd consider them comparable to most big named bikes. Lifetime frame warranty and good support from my limited experiance.

And the bike looks and rides great.

And while I've heard some complain about Alex wheels I've never had a problem and I have DA16's on one bike and DA22's on another and I'm rough on wheels.

I believe the last poster is correct, asian manufactured frame. Don't let that turn you off, but don't purchase it because it's Italian--because it is not.