Thinking of going to Hamilton

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Jason Spaceman, Sep 21, 2003.

  1. Since the World Road Cycling Championships are being held in Hamilton, Ontario this year, and
    whereas I live only about an hour's drive away from Hamilton, and whereas big cycling related events
    are rare in this part of the world, I am thinking about going to Hamilton to check out the elite
    mens road race and/or the elite mens time trial.

    I notice at http://www.hamilton2003.com/Hamilton2003/tickets.html that tickets for the elite mens
    time trial (held on Thursday) are $30 for the gold seats, and $15 for the silver. Do I have to buy
    tickets or can I just drive someplace, park my car, walk to the course, sit my ass on the ground,
    and snap pics as the riders go by?

    Tickets for the elite mens road race (held on Sunday) are $95 for the golds and $50 for the silvers.
    But again, is this just if you want a seat near the start/finish line? Can I watch the race for free
    if I walk to some part of the course and stand by the side of the road?

    J. Spaceman

    Tags:

  2. Mister Max

    Mister Max Guest

    Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> posted:

    > Since the World Road Cycling Championships are being held in Hamilton, Ontario this year, and
    > whereas I live only about an hour's drive away from Hamilton, and whereas big cycling related
    > events are rare in this part of the world, I am thinking about going to Hamilton to check out the
    > elite mens road race and/or the elite mens time trial.
    >
    > I notice at http://www.hamilton2003.com/Hamilton2003/tickets.html that tickets for the elite mens
    > time trial (held on Thursday) are $30 for the gold seats, and $15 for the silver.

    Tickets for weekdays are now available cheaper on eBay. See, for example,
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2192990892

    Do I have to buy tickets or
    > can I just drive someplace, park my car, walk to the course, sit my ass on the ground, and snap
    > pics as the riders go by?
    > J. Spaceman

    - Max
    --
    MisterMax Slideshows of Angkor Wat, Bali, Crete, France, Malaysia, Maui, Morocco, Mt Holly, Sicily,
    St Tropez, Singapore, Thailand, Tour de France: http://buten.net/max/ (Yes,RemoveDoubles is part of

  3. girl27

    girl27 New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    You can stand anywhere you like on the course, except for the start/finish area, and the Claremont Access climb. There are two good climbs on the 12km route, only one of which has priced seating.

    My suggestion (and my plan) is to walk the route starting just past the start/finish, and walk in the direction the peloton will be travelling. This should cover the greatest amount of the route, without running into Claremont. Keep in mind that not all areas of the escarpment will have space for you to stand. You'll need to use cross streets to get back on track. Take a look at the maps on the Hamilton 2003 site.

    If anyone has any better ideas for spectating, I'd love to hear them. I'll be doing this on my own for the week, until the mates show up on Sunday.

    Oh, and if you've a place to stay, and a spare bit of floor... I've still no place to stay.

  4. On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:20:31 GMT, Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote:

    Does anyone know if cameras are allowed at the race?

    J. Spaceman

  5. Time Cop

    Time Cop New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    Cameras are allowed.

    When the Worlds were staged in the U.S. in 1986, the few fans who showed up (estimated to be 50,000 or so) were treated to colder-than-normal temperatures, no large-screen TV at the finish line and a race that was not won by Greg Lemond.

    I did get some great pictures, though.

  6. K. J. Papai

    K. J. Papai Guest

    Time Cop <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Cameras are allowed.
    >
    > When the Worlds were staged in the U.S. in 1986, the few fans who showed up (estimated to be
    > 50,000 or so) were treated to colder-than-normal temperatures, no large-screen TV at the finish
    > line and a race that was not won by Greg Lemond.
    >
    > I did get some great pictures, though.

    Any ones of Lance?

  7. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    Jason Spaceman wrote:
    > On Sun, 21 Sep 2003 22:20:31 GMT, Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > Does anyone know if cameras are allowed at the race?

    No. Only sketch artists. And only charcoal.

  8. Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> writes:

    > Since the World Road Cycling Championships are being held in Hamilton, Ontario this year, and
    > whereas I live only about an hour's drive away from Hamilton, and whereas big cycling related
    > events are rare in this part of the world, I am thinking about going to Hamilton to check out the
    > elite mens road race and/or the elite mens time trial.
    >
    > I notice at http://www.hamilton2003.com/Hamilton2003/tickets.html that tickets for the elite mens
    > time trial (held on Thursday) are $30 for the gold seats, and $15 for the silver. Do I have to buy
    > tickets or can I just drive someplace, park my car, walk to the course, sit my ass on the ground,
    > and snap pics as the riders go by?
    >
    > Tickets for the elite mens road race (held on Sunday) are $95 for the golds and $50 for the
    > silvers. But again, is this just if you want a seat near the start/finish line? Can I watch the
    > race for free if I walk to some part of the course and stand by the side of the road?

    You can walk anywhere on the course and watch for free with the exception of the start/finish area
    for which they are selling tickets. Heck Hamilton is Mafia City as far as Canada is concerned. So
    why wouldn't they charge?

    Driving could be a little iffy. The course is entirely within the City of Hamilton and many of the
    approaches to it will be blocked although you could probably walk from wherever you park your
    vehicle. But be very careful where you park or you will be towed.

    Take a good look at the course map and pick your spot and then take a look at the City of Hamilton
    map to determine your best approach.

    Cameras are allowed.

    However, before you spend your hard earned roubles, take a good look at the final start lists.

    Many of the more interesting riders won't be there and it looks to me as though they could just give
    the jersey to Bettini and let the lads stay home this year.

    I personally won't be there. I don't think it will be worth the effort.

    Especially as there will be a group of afficianados in the back room of the Fox and Firkin where
    there is a huge TV screen which can be watched free of charge. Gotta buy your refreshemnts though.

    But what the heck, ask for a Firkin Pint (not a Fuggin' Pint 'cause that will get ya thrown out) and
    you get 4 ounces more for an unbelievable $2.99 ($3.50 with taxes)

    Why stand in the cold and rain, thinks Davey, when you can watch what this year promises to be a
    mediocre event on a lousy course in comfort?

    Fox and Firkin, Danforth and Spadina in Toronto. 100 meters South on Spadina on the West side
    of the road.

    --
    le vent a Dos

    Davey Crockett