Thinking of replacing my rear cassette; need advice

Originally Posted by JARoss .

Thanks for all the advice. Performance Bikes has some good deals on rear cassettes shimano 105 11/28 for $60.00 , may pick one up and see how that works. But the SRAM Apex with a 12/36 is still under consideration. I'll let y'all know what I go with and how I like it...
There is a nice discussion at

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php/760746-2012-Shimano-Tiagra-12-30-ten-speed-cassette

The cost of the cassette is only $50. The posters seem happy with it.

JARoss said:
Thanks for all the advice. Performance Bikes has some good deals on rear cassettes shimano 105 11/28 for $60.00 , may pick one up and see how that works. But the SRAM Apex with a 12/36 is still under consideration. I'll let y'all know what I go with and how I like it...
Hi JARoss, a SRAM Apex RD is NOT compatible with Shimano STI shifters but the SRAM 1070 cassette is :-( So, if your intention is to use SRAM Apex RD and SRAM 1070 cassette then you will also need the Sram Apex shifter. I am not sure if the Sram Apex shifter is compatible with your 105 brake calipers? Actually, good to see your digesting all the information that has been provided by everybody :) The Sram Apex approach is a good idea, as is changing the 39T chainring to a 36T, 37T or 38T, or even Swampy1970's 34/53T idea. Actually, if it works, for your bike and since your chainrings are 110BCD, then the 34T chainring approach is the cheapest approach, and in combination with an 11T sprocket (11/34) will give you about the same gearing as your current 12/39 :)

I was trying to figure out if the Apex RD would work with my 105 shifters. Too bad that they don't. I find the 105 hoods to be very comfortable and don't want to change them. Does anyone know why they don't work together? Is it the double tap system or the shifting distance of the new RD?

I was trying to figure out if the Apex RD would work with my 105 shifters. Too bad that they don't. I find the 105 hoods to be very comfortable and don't want to change them. Does anyone know why they don't work together? Is it the double tap system or the shifting distance of the new RD?
Mixing shifters and rear derailleurs between the two manufacturers won't work because the cable pull ratio of the shifters and the geometry of the rear derailleurs is such that you don't have to shift many gears before the rear derailleur becomes significantly misaligned with the cassette.

A quick update.... I ordered the 11-28 rear cassette along with the 34/50 front gears and a new chain. I'm officially rolling compact now /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif. Got everything put on the bike and with the exception of some minor adjustment to the rear D (the chain won't stay on the 24t; it skips up to the 28 and down to the 21). I took it out for a short ride to test the shifting and with the exception already mentioned everything works well. The gearing is a bit different than what I'm used to, but I think it will help me out in the mountains. Now I need it to stop raining so i can give the new gears a real test!

A quick update.... I ordered the 11-28 rear cassette along with the 34/50 front gears and a new chain. I'm officially rolling compact now /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif. Got everything put on the bike and with the exception of some minor adjustment to the rear D (the chain won't stay on the 24t; it skips up to the 28 and down to the 21). I took it out for a short ride to test the shifting and with the exception already mentioned everything works well. The gearing is a bit different than what I'm used to, but I think it will help me out in the mountains. Now I need it to stop raining so i can give the new gears a real test!
Go to the "Repair Help and Education" page at Park Tool's website and follow the directions there for installing a rear derailleur. I've never seen a rear derailleur make the odd jumps yours is making. If you don't want to do the setup by yourself, go to your LBS, and see what their mechanic can do. Here's the link to the Park website:

http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help