Thinking of selling my bike...

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Jonathan Bond, Feb 27, 2003.

  1. ... to fund whatever sweet bike I get this summer. I'm not going to sell it until I already have
    a new bike, but it'd be cool to know about how much I could get for it, for planning purposes
    and whatnot.

    Here's the rundown:

    Frame: Fisher '98 (?) Kaitai hardtail

    Fork: Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb '98

    Headset: Chris King right now, but I'll probably replace it with a cane creek or something and put
    the CK on my new bike

    Stem, Seatpost: Thomson. Depending on sizes, these might migrate too.

    Bars: Easton Monkeylite XC Carbon, also moving, so figure a lightweight aluminum flatbar.

    Drivetrain: All XT with the exception of LX crankset and SRAM chain, figure '00-01 model year

    Wheels: XT Hubs, Mavic 517 front, Mavic 618 (slightly beefier XC rim, a little more expensive than
    the 517s). Very new, less than 250 miles on 'em I'd say

    Brakes: Avid Arch Rival 50 with new pad holders; SD9.0L levers (I think), Moonlight Custom Titanium
    brake boosters

    The bike is in pretty good condition. Fork has a few scratches, frame has a few paint chips and
    scrapes (as you'd expect from a bike thats been used) and some cosmetic pieces of decal gone, and a
    bit of scratching around the bottom bracket from chainsuck, but is otherwise pretty much flawless.

    I figure I might be able to get $500-ish for it, and I'm trying to decide whether it'd be better to
    keep it as a backup bike (which would be sweet), or sell it and get my new one a LOT sooner (500 bux
    is a pretty big chunk of change to me!)

    Thanks, as always.

    Jon Bond

    Tags:

  2. >... to fund whatever sweet bike I get this summer. I'm not going to sell it until I already have
    >a new bike, but it'd be cool to know about how much I could get for it, for planning purposes
    >and whatnot.
    >
    >Here's the rundown:
    >
    >Frame: Fisher '98 (?) Kaitai hardtail
    >
    >Fork: Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb '98
    >
    >Headset: Chris King right now, but I'll probably replace it with a cane creek or something and put
    >the CK on my new bike
    >
    >Stem, Seatpost: Thomson. Depending on sizes, these might migrate too.
    >
    >Bars: Easton Monkeylite XC Carbon, also moving, so figure a lightweight aluminum flatbar.
    >
    >Drivetrain: All XT with the exception of LX crankset and SRAM chain, figure '00-01 model year
    >
    >Wheels: XT Hubs, Mavic 517 front, Mavic 618 (slightly beefier XC rim, a little more expensive than
    >the 517s). Very new, less than 250 miles on 'em I'd say
    >
    >Brakes: Avid Arch Rival 50 with new pad holders; SD9.0L levers (I think), Moonlight Custom Titanium
    >brake boosters
    >
    >The bike is in pretty good condition. Fork has a few scratches, frame has a few paint chips and
    >scrapes (as you'd expect from a bike thats been used) and some cosmetic pieces of decal gone, and a
    >bit of scratching around the bottom bracket from chainsuck, but is otherwise pretty much flawless.
    >
    >I figure I might be able to get $500-ish for it, and I'm trying to decide whether it'd be better to
    >keep it as a backup bike (which would be sweet), or sell it and get my new one a LOT sooner (500
    >bux is a pretty big chunk of change to me!)
    >
    >Thanks, as always.
    >
    >Jon Bond

    Keep it, but dress it up a little differently. Since I suppose you're saving pannies for a race
    bike, set this one way woodsy - Motoraptors, bashring, risers, etc... Or maybe as a single speed.
    Whatever you choose to do with it, you won't regret having it around.

    Cheers,

    -Andrew "now down to five bikes, but still thinking that either a 29'er or a single speed
    would be a nice addition - maybe both. But I'd still like to add an XR250 to the garage - oh
    hell" Thorne

  3. Dave

    Dave Guest

    Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > ... to fund whatever sweet bike I get this summer. I'm not going to sell it until I already have a
    > new bike, but it'd be cool to know about how much I could get for it, for planning purposes and
    > whatnot.
    >
    > Here's the rundown:
    >
    > Frame: Fisher '98 (?) Kaitai hardtail
    >
    > Fork: Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb '98
    >
    > Headset: Chris King right now, but I'll probably replace it with a cane creek or something and put
    > the CK on my new bike
    >
    > Stem, Seatpost: Thomson. Depending on sizes, these might migrate too.
    >
    > Bars: Easton Monkeylite XC Carbon, also moving, so figure a lightweight aluminum flatbar.
    >
    > Drivetrain: All XT with the exception of LX crankset and SRAM chain, figure '00-01 model year
    >
    > Wheels: XT Hubs, Mavic 517 front, Mavic 618 (slightly beefier XC rim, a little more expensive than
    > the 517s). Very new, less than 250 miles on 'em I'd say
    >
    > Brakes: Avid Arch Rival 50 with new pad holders; SD9.0L levers (I think), Moonlight Custom
    > Titanium brake boosters
    >
    > The bike is in pretty good condition. Fork has a few scratches, frame has a few paint chips and
    > scrapes (as you'd expect from a bike thats been used) and some cosmetic pieces of decal gone, and
    > a bit of scratching around the bottom bracket from chainsuck, but is otherwise pretty much
    > flawless.
    >
    > I figure I might be able to get $500-ish for it, and I'm trying to decide whether it'd be better
    > to keep it as a backup bike (which would be sweet), or sell it and get my new one a LOT sooner
    > (500 bux is a pretty big chunk of change to me!)
    >
    > Thanks, as always.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    Hey Jon isn't that the fork from JD, are you turning your back on the bomberhood? Did you get his
    permission to turn his gift to you? I mean how could you forsake him so......

  4. Darsh

    Darsh Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ... to fund whatever sweet bike I get this summer. I'm not going to sell it until I already have a
    > new bike, but it'd be cool to know about how much I could get for it, for planning purposes and
    > whatnot.
    >
    > Here's the rundown:
    >
    > Frame: Fisher '98 (?) Kaitai hardtail
    >
    > Fork: Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb '98
    >
    > Headset: Chris King right now, but I'll probably replace it with a cane creek or something and put
    > the CK on my new bike
    >
    > Stem, Seatpost: Thomson. Depending on sizes, these might migrate too.
    >
    > Bars: Easton Monkeylite XC Carbon, also moving, so figure a lightweight aluminum flatbar.
    >
    > Drivetrain: All XT with the exception of LX crankset and SRAM chain, figure '00-01 model year
    >
    > Wheels: XT Hubs, Mavic 517 front, Mavic 618 (slightly beefier XC rim, a little more expensive than
    > the 517s). Very new, less than 250 miles on 'em I'd say
    >
    > Brakes: Avid Arch Rival 50 with new pad holders; SD9.0L levers (I think), Moonlight Custom
    > Titanium brake boosters
    >
    > The bike is in pretty good condition. Fork has a few scratches, frame has a few paint chips and
    > scrapes (as you'd expect from a bike thats been used) and some cosmetic pieces of decal gone, and
    > a bit of scratching around the bottom bracket from chainsuck, but is otherwise pretty much
    > flawless.
    >
    > I figure I might be able to get $500-ish for it, and I'm trying to decide whether it'd be better
    > to keep it as a backup bike (which would be sweet), or sell it and get my new one a LOT sooner
    > (500 bux is a pretty big chunk of change to me!)
    >
    > Thanks, as always.
    >
    > Jon Bond

    If you keep it, only keep it as long as you can still get 500 bucks out of
    it.

    darsh

  5. Dave wrote:
    > Jonathan Bond <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    >>... to fund whatever sweet bike I get this summer. I'm not going to sell it until I already have a
    >>new bike, but it'd be cool to know about how much I could get for it, for planning purposes and
    >>whatnot.
    >>
    >>Here's the rundown:
    >>
    >>Frame: Fisher '98 (?) Kaitai hardtail
    >>
    >>Fork: Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb '98
    >>
    >>Headset: Chris King right now, but I'll probably replace it with a cane creek or something and put
    >>the CK on my new bike
    >>
    >>Stem, Seatpost: Thomson. Depending on sizes, these might migrate too.
    >>
    >>Bars: Easton Monkeylite XC Carbon, also moving, so figure a lightweight aluminum flatbar.
    >>
    >>Drivetrain: All XT with the exception of LX crankset and SRAM chain, figure '00-01 model year
    >>
    >>Wheels: XT Hubs, Mavic 517 front, Mavic 618 (slightly beefier XC rim, a little more expensive than
    >>the 517s). Very new, less than 250 miles on 'em I'd say
    >>
    >>Brakes: Avid Arch Rival 50 with new pad holders; SD9.0L levers (I think), Moonlight Custom
    >>Titanium brake boosters
    >>
    >>The bike is in pretty good condition. Fork has a few scratches, frame has a few paint chips and
    >>scrapes (as you'd expect from a bike thats been used) and some cosmetic pieces of decal gone, and
    >>a bit of scratching around the bottom bracket from chainsuck, but is otherwise pretty much
    >>flawless.
    >>
    >>I figure I might be able to get $500-ish for it, and I'm trying to decide whether it'd be better
    >>to keep it as a backup bike (which would be sweet), or sell it and get my new one a LOT sooner
    >>(500 bux is a pretty big chunk of change to me!)
    >>
    >>Thanks, as always.
    >>
    >>Jon Bond
    >

    > Hey Jon isn't that the fork from JD, are you turning your back on the bomberhood? Did you get his
    > permission to turn his gift to you? I mean how could you forsake him so......

    Fork is Carla's old Z2 with JD's old Z1 steerer tube.

    And I'm now sponsored by Marzocchi, so the new bike will have a brand spanking new
    Marathon SL on it.

    Jon Bond

  6. Chris

    Chris Guest

    "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > ... to fund whatever sweet bike I get this summer. I'm not going to sell it until I already have a
    > new bike, but it'd be cool to know about how much I could get for it, for planning purposes and
    > whatnot.

    Things that say "Fisher" and "Marzocchi" on them go for way too much money on Ebay, which you
    probably know from your Titus experience...spray the dirt off, post an auction, and make $750 if you
    leave the headset, fork, brakes, and drivetrain on it.

    Or, ship it to me for $19.95. You know, since you're sponsored and everything, how much money do
    you need? :)

    Chris

  7. Chris wrote:
    > "Jonathan Bond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >>... to fund whatever sweet bike I get this summer. I'm not going to sell it until I already have a
    >>new bike, but it'd be cool to know about how much I could get for it, for planning purposes and
    >>whatnot.
    >

    > Things that say "Fisher" and "Marzocchi" on them go for way too much money on Ebay, which you
    > probably know from your Titus experience...spray the dirt off, post an auction, and make $750 if
    > you leave the headset, fork, brakes, and drivetrain on it.
    >
    > Or, ship it to me for $19.95. You know, since you're sponsored and everything, how much money do
    > you need? :)
    >
    > Chris

    Poor starving college student, and I only have enough ramen and annie's mac and cheese (only the
    best!) to last another couple weeks ;)

    Plus, we're not fully sponsored, and its not just me, its the team. I'm nowhere near fast enough to
    get my own sponsors!

    Jon Bond