Thinner tyres - harder work??!!

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by aboylikedave, Jul 13, 2011.

1. aboylikedave

aboylikedave New Member

Hi there

I'm commuting on a Trek 7.5 and was using Bontrager Racelite Hardcase 700 x 28, 105 psi. I'm about 75kg and it's a very hilly ride. When these needed replacing I changed to Conti Gator Hardshell Folding 700 x 25 115 psi.

They are (according to specs) lighter and are narrower. When I put on the rear it felt great but as soon as I put on the new front, the weird thing is it really does feel harder to pedal!!! And I mean noticeably.

Is there any possible explanation other than being purely psychological? Apart from me ageing rapidly!

Cheers

Dave

Tags:

2. Scotty_Dog

Scotty_Dog New Member

Verify:
    1. wheel is in straight
    2. brake is not dragging
    3. quick release skewer and cones are adjusted properly

3. Eichers

Eichers New Member

HI aboylikedave, at 115psi they should be rolling faster? Perhaps you could try them at 105psi :)

4. dabac

dabac Well-Known Member

There are a few possibilities. On big contributor to rolling resistance is how supple the sidewalls are. There'll be some wrinkling when you're rolling along, and on a thick sidewall this'll steal more energy than on a thin sidewall. There may be a clue in the name "hardshell"..

Another thing is that higher pressure and narrower tires become bouncier. Shouldn't really give the feeling you're reporting though.

5. aboylikedave

aboylikedave New Member

Yes, no, I think so! The wheels spins unrestricted and is running straight.