Third Fire near my house!!

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Sierraman, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    I took photos from my house of this fire just as it started in the afternoon
    yesterday. It is 1000 acres now and only 60 percent contained. Tired of
    breathing smoke. Should of went to SF race! Got some helicopter shots and
    shots of the very beginning by my house. The good news is I heard they
    caught a guy who they saw, (not confirmed) started 11 fires and the three by
    my house. A rancher saw the guy as the story goes setting the fire with a
    cigerette and he held the guy down until the police came. I was told he had
    mental problems. Also a girl died fighting a fire up north near Groveland
    where I went climbing many times near Priest grade. Several of the night
    shots were much more fierce, but they camera didn't fair well in the night
    shots, but a nice show from the ridge with trees bursting into flames.

    http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/09/13/woman.firefighter.ap/index.html

    http://216.219.161.193/temp/01.jpg
    http://216.219.161.193/temp/02.jpg
    http://216.219.161.193/temp/03.jpg
    http://216.219.161.193/temp/04.jpg
    http://216.219.161.193/temp/05.jpg
    http://216.219.161.193/temp/06.jpg
    http://216.219.161.193/temp/07.jpg
    http://216.219.161.193/temp/08.jpg
    http://216.219.161.193/temp/09.jpg
    http://216.219.161.193/temp/10.jpg
    http://216.219.161.193/temp/11.jpg
    http://216.219.161.193/temp/12.jpg
    http://216.219.161.193/temp/13.jpg

    B-

    Tags:

  2. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    http://www.fresnobee.com/state_wire/story/9136806p-10036639c.html

    http://www.fresnobee.com/local/crime/story/9136796p-10036372c.html

    http://www.fresnobee.com/updates/metro/story/9136620p-10036524c.html

    Arson suspect held in blaze threatening Mariposa

    The Associated Press

    MARIPOSA, Calif. (AP) - As firefighters in California mourned the death of
    one of their own Monday, fire crews worked to contain a separate wildfire
    threatening this western Sierra Nevada town about 50 miles south of the
    fatal blaze in the Stanislaus National Forest.

    A 34-year-old man remained in custody on an arson charge related to the fire
    skirting the north side of Mariposa. By Monday afternoon, it had burned
    2,000 acres of chaparral and dead standing oak trees on a hill above the
    community's high school, the California Department of Forestry and Fire
    Protection reported.

    CDF Capt. Greg Grizzell said officials allege that Brian Chambers
    intentionally set the fire with a match inserted inside a cigarette.

    He was being held at the Mariposa County Jail on $75,000 bail. Records
    released by the sheriff's department showed that he served about four months
    of a one-year sentence in county jail for making a false bomb threat.

    Chambers also is a suspect in a string of other intentionally set fires in
    Mariposa over the last two weeks, Grizzell said. The most recent blaze
    started just before 4 p.m. Sunday. All the schools in Mariposa were closed
    Monday, and about 300 homes in the town of 1,400 residents were evacuated.
    No structures had been reported damaged by late afternoon.

    "The whole town has stopped and watched," said Olivia Luke, a CDF
    spokeswoman. "It almost looks like a volcano has erupted there is so much
    ash and so much smoke - miles and miles of it."

    More than 600 firefighters were on the lines, with another 500 on the way.
    By midday, CDF officials estimated the fire was 15 percent contained.

    Although fire officials are accustomed to managing multiple fires during
    California's dry late summers, the proximity of the two Monday was made all
    the more challenging by Sunday's death of a 24-year-old helicopter crew
    member.

    Eva Schicke became the first female firefighter from the California
    Department of Forestry to die in the line of duty. She was killed after she
    and six other firefighters were dropped into rugged terrain just outside
    Yosemite National Park and overrun by the flames.

    Her crew members were released after being treated for their injuries.

    ---------------------------------

    Suspect arrested in fire near Mariposa

    A 34-year-old man was arrested Sunday night in a fire that was burning out
    of control near Mariposa, the state Department of Forestry said.

    The fire in steep terrain burned more than 300 acres of brush and was
    continuing to endanger homes in and around the town of Mariposa.

    More than 200 structures were threatened by the Old Highway fire, and
    several homes had been evacuated Sunday night, said Capt. Greg Grizzell.

    Highways and roads were closed to traffic or escorts were being used to
    assist motorists throughout the night.

    The fire began about 3:45 p.m. in steep terrain on Old Highway North near
    Highway 140. A large cloud of smoke from the fire was visible to the north
    from northwest Fresno. The fire was nearing Mariposa High School and the
    community's sewage treatment plant. There was no immediate indication about
    whether schools would be closed today.

    The cause of the fire is believed to be arson.

    Brian Chambers was being investigated on suspicion of starting Sunday's
    fire. He also was being questioned in connection with a number of other
    blazes that have plagued Mariposa County this summer. Grizzell said Sunday's
    fire is believed to have been ignited with a cigarette.

    No injuries were reported Sunday night.

    About 600 firefighters were working to contain the fire Sunday night.

    ----------------------------------

    Fire still burns near Mariposa

    A wildfire burning above Mariposa forced school to be canceled today as
    firefighters struggled to contain the blaze.

    The California Department of Forestry reported at 6 a.m. that the Old
    Highway Fire had grown to 2,000 acres and was 15% contained. There was no
    estimate of when it would be fully contained.

    No structures had been burned and no injuries were reported. Residents on
    Allred Road were evacuated.

    More than 600 people were fighting the fire from several agencies including
    two engines with Clovis Fire Department crews. One of the Clovis engines is
    from the state Office of Emergency Services.

  3. Obviously, God hates you.

    And Florida.

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield
    stevens at veloworks dot com

  4. "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BD6C312F.465A6%[email protected]

    > Obviously, God hates you.
    >
    > And Florida.

    I was thinking somebody needs to take away the matches from Bruce or his GF

  5. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BD6C312F.465A6%[email protected]

    > Obviously, God hates you.

    I have always wondered that but I don't think he does.

    > And Florida.
    >

    > --
    > Steven L. Sheffield
    > stevens at veloworks dot com
    > veloworks at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net
    > bellum pax est libertas servitus est ignoratio vis est
    > ess ay ell tea ell ay kay ee sea eye tee why you ti ay aitch
    > aitch tee tea pea colon [for word] slash [four ward] slash double-you
    > double-yew double-ewe dot veloworks dot com [four word] slash

  6. Sierraman

    Sierraman Guest

    > "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:BD6C312F.465A6%[email protected]
    > >

    > > Obviously, God hates you.
    > >
    > > And Florida.
    > >

    > I was thinking somebody needs to take away the matches from Bruce or his

    GF

    I don't smoke cigarettes. Nasty things! Ever kiss a girl that smoked?

  7. DanSchmatz

    DanSchmatz Guest

    According to a friend of mine girls that smoke do it.